Some Good Oil Advice For You !!!

oilman

Forum Sponsor
Not quite right there I'm afraid.

VW 503.00
This is a relatively new oil specification for petrol engines with variable service intervals. It includes the AUDI S4, but not the RS4, or the TT and S3 with outputs of more than 180bhp.
Viscosity rating: SAE 0w-30, 0w-40

VW 503.01
A new oil specification specifically for the RS4, and the TT and S3 with outputs of more than 180bhp, Passat W8 and Phaeton W12.
Viscosity rating: 0w-30, 0w-40

Cheers
Guy

JazzyG

Dreamscience
Thanks for your good advice Guy !

Thanks for all your oil advice and patience ,

I changed my oil , although my car has only done 2500 miles to Castrol SLX 0w 30 "503.01" , as I never trust what the stealers put in it . I must admit , the engine feels a lot smoother , my MPG is better and the engine is silent !!!

Should I stick to this oil or as the car gets older should I use the Motul 0w 40 ?

Cheers anyway mate.

Jared :thumbup:

peter1

Thanks for clarifying this oilman.

My local dealer seems to want to put shell helix semi-synth in mine. "we put that in all our cars"

They should provide us with the up to date information!

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
I change every 6k as its only £30 to change over. The main problem we have (as far as i have been told/understand) is that the turbo and engine need a different viscosity of oil ideally (cant remember which way around this goes so don’t quote me) but basically its the turbo needs thin oil and the engine needs thick oil so its a compromise on what you use.

oilman

Forum Sponsor
Not a silly question at all, the shelves of certain retailers are full of that stuff. Avoid like the plague. At best they are just an expensive way of achieving nothing, at worst they can be quite harmful, blocking filters and increasing engine wear. A lot of them contain chlorinated paraffins that, when the engine gets hot, break down to produce acidic compounds in the oil. Obviously not a good thing around metals.

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
What i am trying to say is:
The oil does NOT have to be a VW 503.01 spec if changing it at 10K intervals or less.

From my limited understanging, way below oilman's.

Any oil with a higher VW 50X.XX rating is fine for cars rated with lower one's. So you can always use the 503.01 even though ours are fixed service intervals.

mikesndbs

Apr 3, 2010
West Sussex UK
www.youtube.com
Not a silly question at all, the shelves of certain retailers are full of that stuff. Avoid like the plague. At best they are just an expensive way of achieving nothing, at worst they can be quite harmful, blocking filters and increasing engine wear. A lot of them contain chlorinated paraffins that, when the engine gets hot, break down to produce acidic compounds in the oil. Obviously not a good thing around metals.

Ah OK thats good to know I will indeed avoid and stick with the 5W30

Cheers

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
Thanks for all your oil advice and patience ,

I changed my oil , although my car has only done 2500 miles to Castrol SLX 0w 30 "503.01" , as I never trust what the stealers put in it . I must admit , the engine feels a lot smoother , my MPG is better and the engine is silent !!!

Should I stick to this oil or as the car gets older should I use the Motul 0w 40 ?

Cheers anyway mate.

Jared :thumbup:

Looks like an LCR you got there. Thats vw 504.00 which is 5w-30 oil. ive used this for years and it stays quite clean for the year its in there.

The seat dealer i use sell castrol 5w-30 oil for the LCR so i use that.

wayne lcr

bored of it now
Mar 5, 2009
doncaster
on me last 1 i used comma oil and its still clean to this day and thats for all vag turbo engines. but carnt remember what spec it was

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members