Some late findings on the PD resistor mod ...

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
As I'm possibly the last VAG diesel owner in the UK to try a 'resistor mod' tuning box :whistle::D I thought I'd report on my initial findings over the last 600 miles or so.

Car is a 2002 model Passat PD130 sport, bog standard apart from an £18 tuning box on the fuel temperature sender, bought from a German supplier. I don't know what value resistance is in the box. Car has 42,000 miles up, owned from brand new.

On fitting, extra torque was immediately noticeable from 1500rpm upward.

Tickover is a tiny bit lumpier when engine is hot but certainly not a problem, and most of the time not really noticeable. Cold tickover and starting is no different to standard.

Throttle response is more abrupt than normal, a little finesse is required to stop lurching when going on and off the throttle but you soon get used to it.

There is no more smoke / soot than normal (as observed by my dad, following me for 20-odd miles ... although mine has never been sooty anyway).

No check engine light or fault codes after 600+ miles of mixed driving, including sustained high speeds and long periods in traffic jams (the pre-2003 PDs are supposed to be better than post-2003 for not giving fault codes with this mod, apparently).

Figures:

On my private test track, 40-60mph acceleration in 4th gear is a repeatable 7% quicker (now 4.6 seconds average, compared with just under 5.0 seconds average without the box). Other in-gear times show a similar 6-7% improvement.

Actual brim-to-brim fuel consumption has increased by about 3-4% (down from my usual 46-47mpg to 44.5) over the same type of driving.

The fuel computer is waaaaaayyyyyy off -- it's now about 25% optimistic overall, where before it was just 5% optimistic. However, it's more optimistic at light throttle / low load than it is at motorway speeds.

Overall -- a good bit of fun for pocket money costs :D

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
Nic, it's one of those "L"-shape boxes that you see hundreds of on eBay. One connector goes onto the sensor, and you plug the loom connector into the other. It is not a variable resistor, there's no adjustment.

Without taking it apart I don't know if it simply has a resistance across the loom connector plug (i.e. blanking off the sensor completely) or works in parallel, and it's a bit of a knuckle-scraper on the Passat!

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
No smoke ? Resistance isn't low enough then !
IIRC 150ohm was the lowest you could go on a stock PD130.

Also, remember on the Passat there is a secondary coolant circuit to cool the fuel, which is activated when the ECU senses the fuel is over a certain temp.
So you might find that by fooling the ECU into thinking the fuel is really hot, this circuit might be on permanently...not sure if that's anything to worry about ?

Last edited:

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
According to that PD "training guide" PDF, the cooling circuit pump activates above fuel temps of 70C ...

Lee, I had been thinking about the same thing :), however it's a simple electric pump which circulates the coolant in the circuit, so it will either work or not work.

On another note, I found some test data on diesel expansion & density changes against temperature. Apparently the volume of diesel meeting UK spec EN590 increases by just under 2% for every 25C.

Also, the new Haynes manual for the Passat gives some test data for the fuel temp sensor, at 30C it should give a resistance of 1500 - 2500ohms and at 80C it should measure 275 - 375 ohms. Fascinating, these PDs ;)

cheshire cat

Dec 28, 2002
cheshire
Visit site
the other thing worth thinking about is the alleged retard on the timing when the fuel is "TOO" hot, I can't get any hard info but suspect it has happened once to me whilst reaching the far end of a long holdup on the M6 in summer, power just dissappears for approx 20 secs and then comes back with a bang!

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Nic - I think you're right about this. Paulo has written a guide somewhere about fitting fuel coolers...
On the Ibiza, the cooler relies on airflow over the heatsink (under the driver's footwell), so if stationary I can imagine the fuel getting quite hot, particularly if you've not much in the tank for the hot return fuel to mix and cool with.

craig-pd130

May 7, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
Update, just done another tankful, still no fault codes, excess soot or problems. :)

Performance is the same but curiously, the difference between actual brim-to-brim measured MPG and the MFA computer reading is smaller than it was. And the real MPG seems to be closer to what it was before.

Perhaps the higer ambient temps mean the fuel is a little bit warmer, and closer in temperature to what the ECU **thinks** it's getting?