Spark plug difference

tipping44

Tipping44
Jul 30, 2014
telford
hey everyone! Posted this earlier today but only just realised I put it into the wrong forum :/

I'm just wondering if there is any noticeable difference in the spark plugs you put into your car, depending on brand etc...

The obvious are NGK/Bosch/Denso...

Would it really make a difference if i put in a spark plug costing £5 each and one costing £15 each... (I know they can get much more expensive)

I need some replacements (haven't looked which i have in my car currently)

As an example, Bosch sell as cheap as £4, and NGK as cheap as £12...

It's for a 55 225 Cupra R, It's been remapped, again not sure if this would suggest i need to look at better quality ones.

Cheers !! :)

tipping44

Tipping44
Jul 30, 2014
telford
Thanks !!

Just a quick question....

How important is a Torque wrench ?? The only reason i ask is because I don't have one handy, is it recommended i get one before changing them?? Or is it easy to just "Not over tighten them" ??

Also - Checking the gap, Is that something most of you do with new spark plugs before putting them it? Is it a risk i take if i don't check them??

Thank you!!

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
25nm factory spec.
Can't see gapping would make much of a difference but people do it so it must be so

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Always check that the spark plug gap is compatible with the engine manufacturers specification. A gap that is too small means that the spark duration will be very quick and the spark will be thin and weak. The consequences of this may be bad starting and high exhaust emission levels. This will result in an increase in fuel consumption. If the gap is set too large, the ignition system will not be able to cope with the demands and a misfire situation will occur. Some wide gap spark plugs have a longer ground electrode to accommodate a wide gap setting. These must be used where specified, as opening up a standard plug to a wider gap setting may result in the electrodes not running parallel to each other. This could result in abnormal and premature electrode wear.

The re-gapping of fine wire spark plugs that have very small diameter platinum or iridium alloy electrodes is not recommended due to the risk of damaging the electrodes. Virtually all NGK spark plugs are set to the correct gap for the catalogue applications at the point of manufacture.

Reactions: bigT's lcr

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
So buy plugs already gapped how you want. So ngk33 should be gapped to the same spec yes...no, i have two packs here and some are different to the others.

tipping44

Tipping44
Jul 30, 2014
telford
Got some nice plugs from halfords yesterday ngk33 for £8 for four.

Just read your recent replies about gapping etc...Thanks for the info...

I was planning on going to get these later tonight, but I dont want to impulse buy just because of the cheap price, halfords website is terrible for info on the product, doesnt say anything about coming pregapped etc.... though i looked at the NGK part finder and clicked on my car (mk1 55 Cupra R) and they suggest using the exact ones you linked me too :D

It says on their site the NGK33 come pre-gapped too.

All set...the only thing I dont have is a torque wrench!!:headhurt:

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
For £8 you can't go wrong. Pre gapped I'm not sure about as like i said i have two packs here and some are different to others. No torque?? Do you really need one for spark plugs?? Just don't go mad...Sung is what i would call it

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
The copper ones (BKR7E) should give a better spark under some conditions, but the main advantage is for tuned motors as they're a grade colder. I believe the interval for changing them is about every 6000 miles. The iridiums are fine for stock motors and should also be ok for stage 1, anything more than that and i'd go for the colder copper ones.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrewwright

Joey c

Leon fr 1.8t 2005
Apr 24, 2017
I got a set of 4 Bosch super four sparks from ECP £9 using there promo codes!

Ticks over better than ever , anyone else use them?

f9169bed5fda9ef60467e0c8a223465a.jpg

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DogToothCheck

Oh look! It's the eml..
Aug 24, 2016
Norwich
Interesting you say that.
I was using those before l went to the BKR7E. My idle is perfect since l swapped.
Wonder if engine mileage makes a difference?
I'm at 167k, what are you at?

Joey c

Leon fr 1.8t 2005
Apr 24, 2017
Seems better , old plugs where shot though!

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk