Spark plug ignition coil rubber boot

Jul 8, 2021
Hello All

I am after some advice I have owned the car since June 2021 and have had no issues.

I have a 2013 Seat Mii 1.0 TOCA and was intending to replace the spark plugs as part of the service. According to the service history spare plugs were replaced in 2016 but have no invoice proof of this.

This proved difficult as the coil packs came away from the boots. I pulled with all my might on Cylinder 3 - I also put WD40 down into the hole and used compressed air but did not budge and seems fused to the plug in that cylinder - I did not attempt to do the other cylinders as the rubber boot on cylinder 3 was stretching so much I did not want it to split.

So I have ordered more rubber boots as spares and awaiting delivery. I have decided to give up until they arrive. I put everything back in order and drove the car home (1 mile) not a problem.

This morning I got in the car and it started to judder drove it for around 5 miles and it juddered again and the engine warning light came on and went away after 2 seconds.

I put the code reader on the car to see what happened and it said Cylinder 3 misfire - cleared the code and really am worried to drive it again.

Have I dislodged something in the hole? I would like to say it was flooded with WD40 but I gave it a good glug - will this right itself or have I damaged the coil pack?

I really do not want to buy another coil pack - but has anyone had similar issues with the rubber boot being fused in the cylinder hole?

Please help as I need my car for work and don't want to break down.

Many Thanks

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
I’ve had this problem so many times. I normally just use the air line trick and grab the boot with my hands when high enough and pull it touch wood I’ve not split one yet.
I know you said you tried the air line trick but try it again and make sure the air line end seals into the rubber boot so it completely uses all the air with no leaks it’ll pop straight up and out.

Jul 8, 2021
I’ve had this problem so many times. I normally just use the air line trick and grab the boot with my hands when high enough and pull it touch wood I’ve not split one yet.
I know you said you tried the air line trick but try it again and make sure the air line end seals into the rubber boot so it completely uses all the air with no leaks it’ll pop straight up and out.
Thank you will try again when I have the other rubber boots on standby. I am more worried what I have done with the 1st ignition coil - I have just taken it apart again and had a look down the hole and the contact spring seems to be in place centrally - nothing looks out of place - I have tightened down the fixing bolt more so maybe it was not a snug fit - but equally the same fit on 1 and 2 coil packs and no codes from them. I guess I will have to drive it again to see how sluggish it is and if the engine warning light comes on and leaves a code in any of the cylinders. Its a darn headscratcher :)

Jul 8, 2021
Finally managed to get replacement rubber boots and tried the compressed air again and finally they freed. Now all greased and new plugs in ... in all the excitement I did not gap the plugs. Seems to be okay but may not be so economical. Does anyone know what the terminal gap should be on a Mii 2013 1.0:? I believe the preset gap on the Bosch Plugs were 5mm , seemed similar in comparison to the NGK plugs (NGK ZKER6A-10EG) that were removed. Cannot find the actual gap size it should be set anywhere.

Can anyone help?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.