Speaker Upgrade

Apr 23, 2022
HI all,

Currently have an Ibiza FR Tech 2017 (6P). Looking to upgrade my speakers, front doors mainly but rear possibly too.
Just wondering if anyone knows whether or not I need to replace the infotainment to get better sound or not?

It has the FR Technology stock upgraded head unit with full link etc. but i've looked around and can't seem to see whether or not I need to swap that out.

These are the speakers I was looking at putting in if it helps, will also take recomendations for speakers if anyone has any. Budget of about £120

Many thanks

Apr 23, 2022
HI all,

Currently have an Ibiza FR Tech 2017 (6P). Looking to upgrade my speakers, front doors mainly but rear possibly too.
Just wondering if anyone knows whether or not I need to replace the infotainment to get better sound or not?

It has the FR Technology stock upgraded head unit with full link etc. but i've looked around and can't seem to see whether or not I need to swap that out.

These are the speakers I was looking at putting in if it helps, will also take recomendations for speakers if anyone has any. Budget of about £120

Many thanks
Cant edit so just replying. Realised my car is actually a 6J. Wow, all this time I thought it was a 6P.

Anyway, only real question i have now is do I need to upgrade my head unit?
Like I said, it’s the 6.5” screen with full link etc.

Any advice appreciated!

WobbleFR

Sep 1, 2018
Nope, you do not need to upgrade your head unit.

Find out the wattage it pumps out, and use one of the many websites that give advice on speaker choice to find some speakers that match the headunit wattage. I used Crutchfield as a start then moved on to uk sites to find the speakers that i wanted.

You may or may not need connectors and a door adapter, the site should advise you on that.

Shop around for the best you can afford, its worth spending for quality, if you sell your car take them with you, so put the oe speakers in boxes in your attic.

Once I bought some Hertz millie pro speakers I never went back.

Buy a sheet of dynamat and some alchohol wipes.

Take the old speakers out, wipe the inside surface of the door, cut the mat into small manageable shapes and spread around where ever you can reach and have cleaned. Mainly behind the speaker though, and make sure its firmly attached to the door, some people use a roller.

To reach 90% effectiveness you only need to place dynamat on 20% of the surface apparently.

Make or buy a little gasket to go between your new speaker and the adapter if you want, fit the speaker and away you go.

If you decide you want to go the amp route, you get connectors in most amp boxes that take a line in signal from the oe speaker wires, which means you can still keep the oe headunit.

But I prefer to replace the headunit in order to get the three preouts, its easier but not necessary.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.