Splitter on an LCR225 - confused

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Disclaimer - yes I did search and I'm still confused :)

The splitter on my 55-plate LCR 225 is broken (bloody potholes and sleeping policemen) so needs replacing. I can get one from my local stealer and am happy to change it myself. Searched on here and read a bunch of posts about splitters on LCR225s and some seemed to suggest that the splitter just clips on and some said that it partially screws on.

Before I go wrenching it off only to discover that it takes half the bumper with it, can anyone confirm whether their splitter on the same model of car just clips on or does have screws? If it has screws, will I need to jack the front end up to do this? Will I need to remove the bumper too, for that matter? If yes to any of the above, any tips gratefully received :)

Cheers
8bit

JamJay

California Bound
It's just clipped on, well that's assuming that the previous owner didn't rip it off and nail it to the underside of the bumper, have a quick look but it's unlikely that they would have :).

Start from the edges nearest the wheels and pull the splitter outwards, it will take some force and hurt your hands so use either a large pair of pliars to pull it or some padded gardening gloves. Once the very outer edge is unclipped, it becomes easier so just work you way around the edge using the same technique until you reach the middle. The middle is held in by two large clips the pop into the underside of the bumper which are stuck in there pretty good. After much pushing with my hands I gave up and used a little pressure with my foot as close as I could get it to the clip, this worked well.

To get the splitter back on, follow the above but backwards, starting at the middle first. I found that the easiest way to pop the two middle clips back in was to line them up with the holes and then use a trolley jack to push each on up. Once they're in, it's just the frustration of pushing in all of those little side clips, it might seem like the splitter is too small but it will bend a little. Use the palm of your hand to wack the clips in.

Fien

Mar 11, 2010
Chester
:( just bought my LCR and need to fit a new splitter! I'm less than looking forward to it now :cry:

andycupra

status subject to change
i can also confirm that:

If its being fitted to a LCR, its clips only, NO SCREWS NEEDED. Still not as easy as it could be..

The confusion is that the splitter is designed specifically for the LCR bumper. Many people fit the LCR splitter to other models in the leon / ibiza range that were not designed for the splitter. People screw these in place as there are no holes /recesses in the bumpers for the splitter to clip into.

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
OK thanks all, looks like it is just a clip-on job then, albeit a bit of a bugger to do. I'll get onto my stealer and get a new one ordered, a trip round a multistorey and up and down a farm track at the weekend have made the existing one worse :)

cheers

karlw

AKA Shifty - Modded LCR
Jan 29, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
OK thanks all, looks like it is just a clip-on job then, albeit a bit of a bugger to do. I'll get onto my stealer and get a new one ordered, a trip round a multistorey and up and down a farm track at the weekend have made the existing one worse :)

cheers

If you get one from the steeler can you let us know the most recent price for one
thanks [B)]

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
I got quoted £21.12 ex-VAT which I guess is ok, considering they're pretty much a consumable item :)

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
OK picked up splitter from local stealer for £24 and some pennies including VAT. Off to B&Q for some gardening gloves (apparently essential car-DIY items, cheers JamJay!) and will have a go at this tonight...

Fien

Mar 11, 2010
Chester
OK picked up splitter from local stealer for £24 and some pennies including VAT. Off to B&Q for some gardening gloves (apparently essential car-DIY items, cheers JamJay!) and will have a go at this tonight...

let us know how u get on and if those gardening gloves are really needed? think i've got some in the garage somewhere:confused:

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Couldn't get hold of any ramps or a trolley jack but did manage to get the splitter changed last night. Mine had actually split in two just outside of the two central posts on the off-side, and the off-side post had come away from the bumper so it was easy enough to get the other post out (with my foot) and then pull that bit off the bumper. The other bit split when pulling it away so ended up having to get the claw of a hammer on the underside of it and removing it that way.

Putting it back on was easy enough, got a mate to help. He held each post in place and i put the jack from the boot underneath and wound it slowly to push it up into the bottom of the bumper. Pushing the sides in was pretty easy, the splitter is very flexible so wasn't too hard to get the clips into the bottom "lip" on the bumper.

Thanks for all the advice guys, looks much nicer now :)

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
An extra pair of hands will help.

The hardest bit (once you get the old one off, use some big pliers for this, you'll destroy your hands if you try it that way) is getting the two central posts into the underside of the bumper. I ended up doing it with the jack from the boot, got my mate to hold the top of the post in place and wound the jack up directly underneath it to push it through the hole into the bumper.

Once both of these are done you just bend the wings forward and starting from the middle push them into the lip on the bottom of the bumper.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise