Spring/damper recommendations

rickyb90

Speedbump destroyer!
Mar 21, 2009
NW Kent
Hi,

I'm due to collect my 03 LCR on Thursday

It's been lowered (too much knock knock!) and has a Forge FMIC and AmD remap (assume Stg 1?) and it's a cracking drive!!

The suspension has been lowered (with what make of springs I cannot tell) and knocks at the front, front splitter is around 5 inches off the ground!! Lord knows whats been fitted for that amount of drop. I think I'll have a great deal of trouble with the myriad of speed bumps that litter my area.

Can I assume to save my front splitter (which has seen better days already) and the annoying knocking, I need to get a better quality spring/damper set fitted?

I had coilover on my previous car, 200SX and they were great on one hand but a right royal pain in the backside with strange 'boingy' noises, corroded adjustment threads and leaking damper seals! A good set of dampers and springs would be preferable!

Thanks

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Ricky, welcome to SCN

If you try a quick search on the Leon MK1 section there are a few posts on there just now with the same topic as yours.
I would strongly suggest changing the bushes out before changing the suspension. The knocks could be the ARB bushes, top mount bushes or the ball joints.

rickyb90

Speedbump destroyer!
Mar 21, 2009
NW Kent
Thanks for the info guys

I'll investigate further once I pick it up Thursday.

Regarding the bushes, would it cost more to have all the bushes replaced than fit new suspension? Would fitting the KW kit suggested stop the knocking as it's currently too low?

I'm a bit wary of undertaking those sorts of jobs in case I break something or I do it wrong and its dangerous!

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
It would probably be just as expensive to change the bushes as to get a new suspension set up but till you find out whats knocking you cannot be sure that the suspension change will sort this

rickyb90

Speedbump destroyer!
Mar 21, 2009
NW Kent
It would probably be just as expensive to change the bushes as to get a new suspension set up but till you find out whats knocking you cannot be sure that the suspension change will sort this

Ahh, I see:think:

Thanks for the advice, its a good welcome to the Seat owners world:D

rickyb90

Speedbump destroyer!
Mar 21, 2009
NW Kent
Well it turns out I have FK coilovers already fitted:whistle: so hopefully I can get them adjusted to increase the ride height:)

As for the knocking noise thats a job for the professionals I think