Spring Time...

Demon G

Having driven my wife's Leon FR TFSI a few times now I've noticed how harsh the ride really is. I think the best word to describe it is "jolting". I feel sorry for anyone with an FR who has either lots of fillings a bad back or a glass eye or worse, all of the above.

I know that this is a well reported critism on the FR and lots of people are going for coil overs and a full suspension upgrade which I am most definitely not looking to do as it is not required.

What is required however is a comprise by maybe just swapping the old springs out with a set of Eibach's which will lower it a little into the bargain.

Has anyone any experience of this option and how much better is the ride quality afterwards?

Whilst I appreciate the FR is a performance car and rides are firm I feel that Seat have gone too far and got this one wrong, hence the softer springs on the new Cupra R.

Look forward to any helpful comments or thoughts.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Adding Eibach will improve the ride slightly, so its less crashy, but improve the looks alot too!

harveee

Jan 18, 2007
would also love to know the best route to take to soften the suspension as after only one week its really getting on my nerves, Im not worried too much about handling just want the most comfortable ride I can get.
Anyone know if springs or shocks or both is the best way to go, also is there a specific make of springs /shocks that are softer than others. or would putting too soft springs/shocks cause it to bounce too much ??

simon34

smoooooooth
May 2, 2006
northampton
If you want to soften the ride a bit without lowering too much i would go with the eibach pro kit . as they are progresive springs so a little softer on the straights but tighten up in the bends when you need it standard springs are linear so just crashy all the time .
Think someone has posted pics of fr on eibachs only droped it 15mm
have droped mine on H&R race 40mm drop and no problems with speed humps and stuff but probably a bit stiffer than the eibachs.

harveee

Jan 18, 2007
thanks Simon, was reading the auto express review of the civic type R vs the cupra and they said how much nicer the ride was in the cupra compared to the FR, any one know what suspension the cupra uses and can it be swapped with the FR one ?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Cupra's suspension is made up of a lot of Aluminium componentry, so you'd be looking at a hefty bill if it's all retrofitable

CT Aviation

I found this to be a big problem, leaving me in agony after just 30 minutes driving. Seat and the dealer were pretty useless (neither will be getting any of my business again) the fix I found was to fit a set of Koni FSD's but retain the OE springs. The ride in my FR is now much more compliant, no crashing from bump to bump, easier on my back and without any noticeable loss of handling. All I need to do is find a cure for the uncomfortable seat. If any one near Northampton wants to try it drop me a PM.

Chris
Chris

Rob GTI

Oct 28, 2004
South Wales
I found this to be a big problem, leaving me in agony after just 30 minutes driving. Seat and the dealer were pretty useless (neither will be getting any of my business again) the fix I found was to fit a set of Koni FSD's but retain the OE springs. The ride in my FR is now much more compliant, no crashing from bump to bump, easier on my back and without any noticeable loss of handling. All I need to do is find a cure for the uncomfortable seat. If any one near Northampton wants to try it drop me a PM.

Chris
Chris

Whats the price of these fitted mate?

CT Aviation

Rob
I just brought them from Awesome GTI (speak to Andy) for £356.74 delivered and fitted them myself which only took just two and a half hours and is really simple to do (although i was a mechanic for 20 years, 7 years as a VAG tech)

Chris

harveee

Jan 18, 2007
so are you better off changing shocks and leaving the springs ?, I read the opposite on a few sites, most advice said that the springs being changed would give more comfort than shocks. Also springs are alot cheaper.
Totally agree with you about the seat as well chris, the padding is way too thin and you can feel the metal underneath in a few places.
Have ordered a padded cover for now, but am contemplating changing the seat altogether, tried a few cobra ones in halfords and some were quite comfortable.
So far ..looking to change suspension, seat and auto dimming mirror as it is way too obstructive..hmmmm all this on a brand new car.....
Ahh well at least I like the engine :)

simon34

smoooooooth
May 2, 2006
northampton
so are you better off changing shocks and leaving the springs ?, I read the opposite on a few sites, most advice said that the springs being changed would give more comfort than shocks. Also springs are alot cheaper.
Totally agree with you about the seat as well chris, the padding is way too thin and you can feel the metal underneath in a few places.
Have ordered a padded cover for now, but am contemplating changing the seat altogether, tried a few cobra ones in halfords and some were quite comfortable.
So far ..looking to change suspension, seat and auto dimming mirror as it is way too obstructive..hmmmm all this on a brand new car.....
Ahh well at least I like the engine :)

Both can make a difference but i would go with the spring option personally as its cheeper standard shocks are sachs so are good and not that hard was quite suprised at them when we changed the suspension on mine

Demon G

I have replaced springs on a few cars myself in the past using spring clamps etc and rolling around in the driveway getting bruised.

How easy is the Seat Leon as the rear springs seem to sit quite separate to the shocks don't they. I should imagine the fronts are very straight forwards.

Anyone got a rough guide on this??

simon34

smoooooooth
May 2, 2006
northampton
I have replaced springs on a few cars myself in the past using spring clamps etc and rolling around in the driveway getting bruised.

How easy is the Seat Leon as the rear springs seem to sit quite separate to the shocks don't they. I should imagine the fronts are very straight forwards.

Anyone got a rough guide on this??
Rears will take about 15mins each
Remove rear wheel split bottom swing arm from the hub where it is bolted together (below an behind disk) push down on swing arm and spring will pull out .
fronts a little more complicated .
First remove windscreen wipers then plastic trim below windscreen to allow access to strut top mount bolts.
Then remove wheel .
Undo the top link on the anti roll bar and seperate from the shock
remove strut clamp bolt on hub and spread the clamp using either the special vw tool ( £5 from sealy)
Then undo the three bolts holding the bottom ball joint to the swing arm this
will allow alot more movement of the hub which you will need
Undo the three top mount bolts a wrestle the strut out you may need to compress the spring a little
replacement is reverse of above
Stand back and admire your handy work

took my mate and me approx three hours in total with lots off tea and fags working on the ground with a trolly jack

Demon G

Kin ell! I was with you all the way until we moved to the fronts. They sound like a complex military manoeuvre. And if you don't have a splitter tool? Take it you will need spring clamps anyway..

Place near me will charge £90.00 quid fitted so may go for that as I value my knuckle skin these days. Plus the wife will probably think I am degrading the neighbourhood by grappling with springs and trolley jacks and stuff in the front garden in view of the new neighbours along with mandatory swearing that will no doubt ensue....

Maybe I'll have a look under the front at the weekend and see how brave I feel just for fun..

simon34

smoooooooth
May 2, 2006
northampton
Kin ell! I was with you all the way until we moved to the fronts. They sound like a complex military manoeuvre. And if you don't have a splitter tool? Take it you will need spring clamps anyway..

Place near me will charge £90.00 quid fitted so may go for that as I value my knuckle skin these days. Plus the wife will probably think I am degrading the neighbourhood by grappling with springs and trolley jacks and stuff in the front garden in view of the new neighbours along with mandatory swearing that will no doubt ensue....

Maybe I'll have a look under the front at the weekend and see how brave I feel just for fun..
Hehehehe have probably made the front's sound worse than they are its only the removal of the winscreen wipers and trim that is unusual .
you could use a chisel insead of the vw tool but it does make life alot easier as it stays in place til you put it all back together.

Still was easier than mk4 ibiza that was a pitta to do.
£90 is a great price for the work involved

harveee

Jan 18, 2007
feel a sick day coming on just reading that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

must find a garage to do it and make sure they dont scratch the hell out of the car...
thanks for the info simon

CT Aviation

I was saving up to re-surface all the roads in my area but found the Koni FSD option much cheaper.

Simon, the shocks we removed from my FR required a fair force to get them moving I.E. a high "breakout force" thereafter they were ok. i think the koni's have a lower breakout force so allow easier movement over the small bumps.
Anyhow I am pleased, especially now the faulty windscreen has been replaced.

Regards
Chris

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.