ST FR 1.8 TSi vs 1.4 TSi ACT

Max M4X WW

Jan 20, 2015
Nr. Guildford
Hi all,

Possibly buying one of the above in the next few weeks and aware that I really need to drive both for comparison but I'm assuming the difference in fuel consumption will be more noticeable than the difference in performance?

I'm also wondering how noticeable the lack of multilink rear will be in the 1.4 and also, does the 1.8 TSi ST also get the 'sound aktor' as I believe the 3dr and 5dr get?

I currently have a Mk7 Golf GTD Estate and previously had an Ecomotive ST (for 35k miles) and also a FR TDi 150 for a few months which I believe would have had the multi-link rear and it did seem to drive nicer (though I was also comparing Ecomotive to FR!)

Thanks, Max

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
The 2.0 TDI 150 FR won’t have had the multi link suspension as it’s only on the 180 Petrol and 184 TDI and having driven another hatch without it I much prefer the ride having the updated suspension but not driven the ST. It’s probably the performance you’d miss with the 1.4 coming out of a GTD that would be more noticeable as the 1.8 would more likely be on par in the real world (except consumption)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
This topic crops up quite often, the usual replies are as follows:
The 1.4 (as you've already mentioned) won't have multi-link suspension at the rear. Another difference is the 1.8 will have slightly bigger brakes than the 1.4.

Performance isn't amazingly different between the 2 models. Fuel consumption may be, depending on your driving style. The 1.4 comes with ACT to further help get higher mpg figures.

The 1.4 ACT Tsi is a newer design than the 1.8Tsi, in real world terms this doesn't mean much but it is something that gets mentioned. The general word I've heard from fellow 1.4 owners is it gives them minimal trouble. I've had my 1.4 for almost a year now and it's been brilliant throughout with no mechanical issues to speak of. It is generally considered a strong block with no real common problems apart from a few people having rattling actuator clips.

As Hag said, you will notice some difference from a GTD to the 1.4. On comparison to the 1.8 I don't think that difference would be as prominent.

Max M4X WW

Jan 20, 2015
Nr. Guildford
Thanks, I am aware I am probably re-asking a common question! I actually got the GTD because of the spec over power - annoyingly its a company car and has a tracker so I can't often use all of the power! I will miss the keyless go, ACC and heated seats though..

This time I'm going to buy something myself and save some money, so the 1.4 makes more sense really. I have other cars to use to get my speed fix - I just don't want it to be gutless!

The appeal of the 1.8 was the potential of fake noise and a better handling car which realistically I won't notice I don't think.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I've had a Mk& Golf GTD, Leon ST and just bought a Leon 1.4tsi act FR.

There is a difference between the multi-link and beam rear end. The ML is more supple and 'playful' when you're pushing it hard in corners. The bean still has lots of grip but not the same feedback and is more easily unsettled when you hit bumps mid corner. I prefer the ML but it's not a huge deal.

The 1.4 doesn't feel that fast. It doesn't have the 'shove' of the diesel but the diesel has a narrower power band and runs out of puff sooner. The TSi is quite happy to rev. It doesn't feel that fast but it's not slow. Cars in the mirror do get smaller.

The petrol engine is a lot lighter so the car feels more agile but the down side is traction. Very easy to spin picking away in the damp, it'll be crap in the snow.

Hag

Sep 15, 2018
You will get much more choice with a 1.4 150 or 1.5 150 and if you can find an FR Sport in your budget that will give you Virtual Cockpit etc so the spec is good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
You will get much more choice with a 1.4 150 or 1.5 150..

I originally wanted the 1.8 but changed my mind. As well as the lack of choice, I was told they don't hold their value as well, use more fuel and aren't that much faster anyway.

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Thanks, I am aware I am probably re-asking a common question! I actually got the GTD because of the spec over power - annoyingly its a company car and has a tracker so I can't often use all of the power! I will miss the keyless go, ACC and heated seats though..

You can still get those features in the 1.4 models. You just need to find one with what you want installed. Or if you can't you could even retrofit the heated seats and the ACC if they're major things for you. Of course buying one with them already in would be the best & easiest option.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Retrofitting ACC would not be trivial. I've actively avoided ACC because if it goes wrong it can be very expensive to fix.

Max M4X WW

Jan 20, 2015
Nr. Guildford
There are a few out there with heated seats, but not many. I will be looking at a pre-facelift for the cheap tax and at least options were still available then.

An FR Sport would be ideal if I had the extra budget, I'd get the 2.0 TSi then also. Not keen on the full leather but it would be handy with kids on the way.

The ultimate would obviously be an R! But that may have to wait a few years..

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
Why don't you get a Golf GTD if you like the company car you have?
I have a diesel 184 FR. I drove the 150 and 184 both on the same day, and the extra power was definitely noticeable. I haven't driven the petrol equivalents, but personally, I would always go for the more powerful model.

Jazzjames

Sep 13, 2018
Germany
The 1.4 is a nice car, and there are lots around, which means that the right spec for you shouldn’t be hard to find. I don’t recommend trying to retrofit anything like ACC or heated seats; just find the right car to begin with!

I own a 1.8 tsi and it feels the same as the 1.4 when Pootling about. When you get it on the open road however, the extra power and wider torque band make it significantly quicker. I get 40mpg combined for my driving, others may get worse, others better.

If you happen to find a 1.8 tsi in a good spec, why not check it out. If you can’t find one, I’m sure the 1.4 would be a nice car, but a bit of a step down in performance compared to the GTD.

ima

Apr 6, 2014
Agreed abou1.8. I’ve said this before but having both engines in our current cars, 1.4 is much less flexible and all over at 4K RPM making overtaking and pulling out on junctions much more laboured. The 1.8 is more warm hatch in comparison. Multi link suspension on 1.8 also a much smoother ride. After having a GTD the 1.4 will feel frustratingly slow.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I wouldn't describe the 1.4 as a fast car. Not even as fast as the 0-60 time suggests. It's... not slow and quick enough for entertaining driving but it's not properly fast.

Max M4X WW

Jan 20, 2015
Nr. Guildford
I do like the GTD, but I hate the engine and don't want to put my own money into a diesel.

I think I will try and find the right 1.8, I doubt it will have heated seats as there are hardly any with them but the 1.8 and other bits will make up for it. I will probably end up remapping it too.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.