ST registered in 08/18 - 7 speed DSG?

May 6, 2023
hi, potential new owner having just turned over 145k on my 3 series Touring. Looking for a ST Cupra and I think I have got my head around when the 7 speed was introduced as per the thread https://www.seatcupra.net/forums/threads/cupra-290-vs-cupra-300.467026/page-2
however looking at this one on Autotrader registered 08/18 https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202303285696812?journey=FEATURED_LISTING_JOURNEY&advertising-location=at_cars&body-type=Estate&drivetrain=Four Wheel Drive&fuel-type=Petrol&make=SEAT&price-to=27500&seller-type=trade&sort=price-asc&fromsra , advert says it is 7 speed. Is it the case that a ST must have copper badging to be 7 speed or is there a bit of crossover? thanks in advance for any info

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
There were a few silver badged 5 door hatches that have 7 Speed box (registered in Sep/Oct 18); however, not aware of any STs.

Mine should have been delivered in Jul 18, but was registered in Nov 18 with Copper decals, 7 Speed etc and it was one of the first in UK, with a few delivered in Oct 18.

If registered in Aug 18 I would expect it's a 6 speed.

There are some advantages of the pre-WLTP 6 Speed cars e.g. multiport injection is better for tuning if you want stage 1+, and you can removed the centre resonator from the exhaust if you want a sportier sound. The 7 Speed ST with the dual GPF is very quiet.

May 6, 2023
Thanks for the info, that was my suspicion. 7 speed and the quiet exhaust is my tactic to get it past the missus without her realising! She has a 68 plate 1.5 Leon, lovely car that reminds me of my old Mk V GTI that I had for several years before the Beemer.

Reactions: JulianF

JulianF

Mar 26, 2023
Thanks for the info, that was my suspicion. 7 speed and the quiet exhaust is my tactic to get it past the missus without her realising! She has a 68 plate 1.5 Leon, lovely car that reminds me of my old Mk V GTI that I had for several years before the Beemer.
Any responsible husband/partner would buy a good car with a strong engine, 4-wheel drive and brakes! You're just looking after her and your family my friend! I have the ST R - it is brilliant!

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise