Stalls when cold...

Cordoba_Dude16v

Feb 15, 2007
Only my second post and after advice already :redface:

Got a 1999 Cordoba 2.0 16v ABF engine code i believe.

When its cold it won't idle, it just cuts out. After a few minutes driving it's fine. Although when it's idling warm the revs do go up and down up and down of their own accord :confused:

Anyone shed any light please?

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Sounds like a dirty throttle body to me as mine did exactly the same thing when i first bought it. Where the hose from the airbox goes into the top of the engine detach it and give the butterfly valve a good clean with some WD40 and a cloth or carb cleaner.

Cordoba_Dude16v

Feb 15, 2007
Shall try that too and let you all know how i get on. Fingers crossed!

Had the same problem with the ISV on my Golf GTi. Carb cleaner did the trick

Cordoba_Dude16v

Feb 15, 2007
Right well took the intake off Saturday and found the throttle body inlet and butterfly all covered in crud. Lots of spraying carb cleaner later, i was high as a kite :D Oh and the throttle body intake was all nice and clean.

But that didn't do the job :cry: It now idles at 1500 revs when hot and still stalls when cold. Damn. Was gonna check the ISV but i dunno where it is? I know where it is and what it looks like on a MK 2 Golf 16v but not this engine. Anyone got any pics or can help me please.

Thanks. :)

Cordoba_Dude16v

Feb 15, 2007
Ah that's it! :doh:

I saw that but thought i'm not touching that when i'm not sure because i have the tendency to break things! lol

Right will check that, thanks mate :)

Murielson

Suggest you also spend a tenner or so on a Haynes manual off ebay as it will pay it's way in no time.

Mine certainly has already!!

Cordoba_Dude16v

Feb 15, 2007
Right where do i start... :cry:

Cleaned out the ISV finally and yes it was full of crud. Put it back on the car and the result when hot it idles at 4,000 RPM!!!!!! :censored: So i disconnected it and hey presto back to the normal up and down revs it was doing. Confused? So am i

Took it to my mates yard and he plugged it into his VAG laptop computer thing. Reset the basic settings. Found the throttle cable was over tightened and the full throttle button on the back of the throttle body had fallen off! So with all that sorted the car idled at 1,000 RPM. Perfect :)

The 4 miles down the road i pull into a petrol station for some grub. Get back into the car and the revs were revving rapidly like some boy racer on heat. When you press the throttle pedal it's a bit sticky and the revs shoot right up, let of the pedal and it jolts like it gonna rip ya head off??!!

Im so confused now and just wanna kick the car [:@] :cry:

What's going on?
Sorry about the long rant and life story :lol:

Thanks.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
temp sensor by the sounds of it possibly

front of the engine 4 pin usually with a yellow ring round it

symptoms usually = fine cold but runs sluggish and rich when warm or opposite gasping for breath when cold and fine once warmed up

basically it sends a signal to the ECU to fuel regulate the choke

bue make sure all the throttle body and sensors are all set right as the wiring for mine had cracked and needed repairing

Cordoba_Dude16v

Feb 15, 2007
Yeah heard about the temp sensor being the problem before on the Mk 3 Golf. Same engine so i shall give it a go. Cheers buddy :)

Hopefully this will sort it!

Cordoba_Dude16v

Feb 15, 2007
Right finally a fault code came up!

Throttle position sensor faulty [:@]

So one on order today at £60 inc. VAT (some discount [B)] )

Right if this doesn't fix it then i'm gonna use my push bike

:lol:

Cordoba_Dude16v

Feb 15, 2007
***UPDATE***

Right well equipped with the new throttle position sensor i took off up to my mates yard ready to sort the car out. fitted the new unit got the car on the VAG computer thingy, reset basic settings and... nothing. Still the blooming same problem! :censored:

So we were up there till midnight scratching our heads trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with it. Whatever we disconnected i.e. lamda probe, temp sensors, position sensor, etc. the ecu thought they were still plugged in and it didn't stall or anything?

Woke up our mechanic friend who is a mechanic for VW and he said it all sounds and points to likelyhood that the ecu is shot! :cry:

Oh *%£@!!!!

Gonna run some more tests on it, check that all the wires to the ecu aren't damaged / broken. It deffinately seems to be a fuel problem.

Keep ya posted

teeth2k

Feb 8, 2003
sussex
Visit site
crank sensor i have the same problem that i have had now for 4-5 months funny thing is wen its cold weather it doesnt do it as much now the weather is warm its doing it all the god dam time

Cordoba_Dude16v

Feb 15, 2007
Checked the crank sensor and it's fine, but thanks for the tip dude :)

Just as i thought my worst nightmare! Sent the ECU off to be checked and it came back with labeled FAULTY! :mad: :banghead: :censored:

So my mate who works for VW knows somebody who can fit a checked second hand ECU and code it for £350 all in, which ain't too bad i think just a shame as i'm skint!!

So no car for ages :cry:

Last edited:

Cordoba_Dude16v

Feb 15, 2007
Wey! managed to borrow then money so i've given the green light to the repair guys, so hopefully i shall be out crooozing ;) soon! :)

Last edited:

Cordoba_Dude16v

Feb 15, 2007
Got the car back last night and she is better than ever! :D

So much more responsive and goes like stink! Before it had the new ECU i was dissapointed at how slow it seemed but now fixed, oh boy it's quick! :dance:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.