Starter Motor sparks!!!

Jfox

Nov 8, 2012
Hi guys,

Got a little problem with my starter motor. Yesterday the car wouldnt start.

Could hear the solenoid but nothing, just the click.

Found out that every time i was turning the ignition sparks were coming from my starter.

Obviously not a good sign and i want to get it fixed sooner rather than later.

Got the car started eventually after a jump but its unpredictable and need to get it sorted.

My question, i have contacted Dave at sere to get a new one (only about £150) but got asked whether i had a Valeo or Bosch starter.

I have no clue...there is nothing on the casing that tells me what it is. Looking on google images and it does resemble the valeo starter.

So which do i have? Is there an easy way to tell or does it not matter?

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
Not sure about starter motors, but some shops / garages due an exchange where you hand your faulty one back and they give you a refurbished one.

This is no help to your question, but obviously if you can get it out to replace anyway, someone else might see it be be able to tell.

boggle

Dec 28, 2012
KENT
Theres a sticker on the side of the starter motor. Hidden under the bit where he cables come out if your looking at it on the car .. ebay item 222294472008 has a good photo of this

Jfox

Nov 8, 2012
Great!

I can't quite see it on mine but if i can remove the cables i should be able to.

The only other option is to take it out lol.

Atm the problem is intermittent but having sparks come out of it on every start isnt safe haha.

Thanks for the help.

I would assume i have a valeo one anyway.

Jfox

Nov 8, 2012
Just another question while i remember.

Would there be any issues swapping the valeo for the bosch?

I assume the fittings, cables etc... are exactly the same?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise