Nov 13, 2020

As title, 2.0 tfsi (BWA engine code) will not start, drove perfectly yesterday & has had a recent service.
we have tried..
2 known working batteries
car will not start from jumping
car will not start from bump start
second hand working starter motor and a brand new one
checked and cleaned all the battery earths
checked and cleaned all the positives
checked with voltmeter

engine feels seized or like its struggling to turn over when we cranked by hand and during pushing it to try and bump start and was virtually impossible to push when in gear.
both me and my step dad have been wracking our brains for the whole day but are at a loss.

anyone any ideas??

cheers

Apr 1, 2023

As title, 2.0 tfsi (BWA engine code) will not start, drove perfectly yesterday & has had a recent service.
we have tried..
2 known working batteries
car will not start from jumping
car will not start from bump start
second hand working starter motor and a brand new one
checked and cleaned all the battery earths
checked and cleaned all the positives
checked with voltmeter

engine feels seized or like its struggling to turn over when we cranked by hand and during pushing it to try and bump start and was virtually impossible to push when in gear.
both me and my step dad have been wracking our brains for the whole day but are at a loss.

anyone any ideas??

cheers
Hi,

What voltage did you read on the multimeter and where from?
Suppose I'm a bit of an electrical nut in a way, and could be jumping the gun here.
Couple of quick checks you could do with the multimeter;
- Battery voltage
- Voltage at starter motor (both when cranking and when not) If it's easy enough to get to.
- Voltage drop test from battery to starter motor (can explain if needs be)
- Resistance of wiring from battery positive to starter motor (can also explain)

Hope you get this solved soon!

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Seeing as you can't push the car or turn the engine, it sounds mechanical rather than electrical.

I'd take the spark plugs out to eliminate the compression and try turning the engine over without them in. Possible that you have a leaking injector which has filled a cylinder with fuel and possibly hydro-locked the engine. Other than that maybe some issue with the timing gear jamming up the engine.

Reactions: lukeharper777
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members