Stereo fitting

MrBone

Aug 27, 2007
Well, I've started and it has not gone well! - thought I'd test the head unit first. Plugged everything up, attached the connects2 harness and patch cable for aux input, plus antenna etc. Radio/stereo seems to work fine, but the steering wheel controls and aux-in don't work. I'm suspecting that it's to do with the harness adapter as, the SEAT plug has some blue socket at the corner of the big connector, whereas the Connects2 plug doesn't have any pins for this (see pic) or could it be something else?

HARNESS_zpsdb42cf5f.jpg

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
just popped out to the car and tried mine as something was nagging at me and it wsnt the mrs

in the accessory on position the steering wheel controls on mine dont work , you have to have the engine running

give it a go

more than that i am not sure

MM

MrBone

Aug 27, 2007
Many thanks! - ignore me though, I son't know what I'm talking about - I managed to put the wired remote plug in the aux socket - doh! All works now. Does beg the question though, can I get an adapter to go from the blue bit of the plug into a 3.5mm stereo jack - then I can use the aux input in bottom of center consul. Otherwise I'm going to have to run a dangly lead... Still I tested using bluetooth audio from the phone, and wow! what a difference a decent head unit makes! (with my fusion speaker upgrade). Next problem is that Dave forgot to send me the clips for the facia adapter, so he's sending them on now, so will have to wait a few more days to complete. Will start routing the mic and dab wiring tomorrow....

MrBone

Aug 27, 2007
thanks for the advice, I've managed to route then wires through with minimal pulling apart of the dash with the help of a knitting needle and tape :) Looking at the dab antenna' it has a little earthing pad - assume I need to get that onto something metal behind the mirror? I can't work out how to take out the map light etc to get behind mirror, it doesn't seem to want to prise away from the roof - all ideas gratefully received

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
thanks for the advice, I've managed to route then wires through with minimal pulling apart of the dash with the help of a knitting needle and tape :) Looking at the dab antenna' it has a little earthing pad - assume I need to get that onto something metal behind the mirror? I can't work out how to take out the map light etc to get behind mirror, it doesn't seem to want to prise away from the roof - all ideas gratefully received

map light is held on with 2 push clips either side just pull gently and it will come out there is a power connector on the right hand back corner

once that is out you can get thru to infront of the mirror & stick the earthing pad to the metal around the windscreen

MM

MrBone

Aug 27, 2007
great thanks, all done now, dab antenna and mic in place, everything works just waiting for the clips for fascia and think I'm all done! will post some pics later

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
great thanks, all done now, dab antenna and mic in place, everything works just waiting for the clips for fascia and think I'm all done! will post some pics later

pleased to hear that, be good to see some piccies too , i am going to change the amps round in the next few weeks so keep an eye on my build thread

MM

MrBone

Aug 27, 2007
Ok, first too off pillar trim and fed wires down the hole

IMAG0511_zpsd2909faa.jpg

Then pulled them forwards and routed past the fuse box (will cable tie up properly once head unit is installed)

IMAG0512_zps4dd18d54.jpg

Attached to a knitting needle with selotape (very technical that) push wires into hole behind and into radio housing (note I threaded the dab and mic wires together so I'd only have to do this job once!)

IMAG0513_zps274d5b15.jpg

DAB antenna now stuck beatifully behind mirror (wire stuffed into headlining and back down drivers side a panel trim, down through dash as before and into radio housing) Was a bit of a faff to prise out interior light trim, but necessary to stick earthing pad to something metal

IMAG0517_zpsd0fe7142.jpg

Phone mic now held in place at top of a pillar trim

IMAG0514_zps0aaf8919.jpg

Hole, full of wires and awaiting head unit - hopefully get remaining facia clips in next couple of days - everything tested and working already!

IMAG0515_zpsbeafe27d.jpg

MrBone

Aug 27, 2007
One more thing - I've upset the car doing this and now have orange steering warning light on dash - will do a search to see how best to rectify that, unless anyone has an idea ;-)

MrBone

Aug 27, 2007
light has gone out with a quick rev of the engine, probably got upset when I reconnected the battery.

MrBone

Aug 27, 2007
Hopefully people are still reading this ;-) - I want to use the original aux socket in front of cup holders with the new radio. In order to do this I think a need a cable with a 3.5mm jack on one end which plus into rear of new radio, and a 12 pin plug on the other, which will connect with the blue 12pin socket on the seat audio loom (see earlier pic for 12 pin blue socket in corner of the large connector) which carries the audio signal from the aux socket in front of cup holders. As it is, I can find loads of 12 pin sockets to 3.5mm jack cable for sale (see below pic), but I need one with a male plug not a socket - anyone know where I might source one?

Last edited:

MrBone

Aug 27, 2007
gonna have to make my own cable for this - rs components sell the connector I'm after. anyone else want one whilst I'm about it?

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
gonna have to make my own cable for this - rs components sell the connector I'm after. anyone else want one whilst I'm about it?

do let see how you get on

i had a planning half hour to day laid it all out in the underboot , and then rang my mate who runs the local car hi-fi place and discussed various options

i am off to raid the piggy bank tomorrow !

MrBone

Aug 27, 2007
do let see how you get on

i had a planning half hour to day laid it all out in the underboot , and then rang my mate who runs the local car hi-fi place and discussed various options

i am off to raid the piggy bank tomorrow !

I take it we're going to hear you coming now :D

MrBone

Aug 27, 2007
Right - I've made my own aux cable, badly soldered, but works and is crackle free! - clips have arrived, so I'll put it together tonight and take a few pics

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
Right - I've made my own aux cable, badly soldered, but works and is crackle free! - clips have arrived, so I'll put it together tonight and take a few pics

well done for cracking this one be good to see the pix

, lets hope we get a few dry days as then i can get a box made for this beauty

mm

MrBone

Aug 27, 2007
well done for cracking this one be good to see the pix

, lets hope we get a few dry days as then i can get a box made for this beauty

mm

Feeling it already :D

Couple of quick pics of mine - am going to write bit more comprehensive guide later

IMAG0555_zps68cf4ea5.jpg

IMAG0552_zps75856a19.jpg