Stolen mk3 Leon Cupra 290

Lance Uppercut

Jul 3, 2014
Hope it's ok to post this here. Unfortunately my Cupra 290 was stolen from outside my house, near Stourbridge, West Midlands, on Thursday morning, it's magentic grey with copper Seat badges , reg DA19HKL. Thieves broke into the house and stole the keys to both our cars and nicked them both. Luckily my wife's car was found the next morning, however even though there have been some sightings, the Leon is still missing.

Sightings so far have been in Castle Vale, Small Heath and this morning at 9am on the Kidderminster Road on the way to Droitwich. It was also tagged on ANPR cameras half an hour after it was stolen on the way to Lichfield. Everyone who has spotted it has said it was being badly driven, cutting in and out of traffic at high speed. These have all been reported to the police.

If anyone spots it, or a similar car with different plates, that looks like it's being driven like this, could you let me know please.

Attachments

• 118539221_10157557782473803_748422325783127284_n.jpg
    118539221_10157557782473803_748422325783127284_n.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 286
  • 118596793_10157557782578803_9129007308533688797_n.jpg
    118596793_10157557782578803_9129007308533688797_n.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 357

Rowan83

Dec 5, 2017
Bast****!!! So sorry to hear this but glad your ok. Boils my pi$$ to read stories like this.

Hope they find it soon, although what state will they leave it in? Don't think I would want it back.

Mr Mustard

Jan 24, 2015
South East
Sorry to hear this, it's an experience too many of us gone through. Hope you and your wife are coping okay. No doubt you'll be feeling a lot of emotions including anger towards the disgusting scum that did this. It's a big upheaval until things get sorted and stressful having to deal with motor & home insurance.

It's a hard decision whether to replace with something similar, or keep it if recovered, or whether to go for something more under the radar.
My S3 was taken in similar circumstances after just weeks of ownership. Initially I just wanted to replace with something less desirable to thieves, but realising how poor my home security had been, set about fixing that which gave me the confidence to replaced it with another performance saloon.

Maybe the best outcome will be for it not to be found, it will be hard to gel with it again knowing what's happened. Definitely feeling for you.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Agreed, I don't think I'd want it back.
Sorry that you've been subjected to such trauma; the upside being that you and yours are OK.

Lance Uppercut

Jul 3, 2014
Thanks guys, yeah it's not nice knowing someone has been in the house whilst you're asleep, but they didn't do any damage (other than the door lock) or steal anything else. This was definitely a targeted robbery.

Lance Uppercut

Jul 3, 2014
I've already got another Cupra lined up by the way, no way i'm letting them stop me getting the car i want. Just beefing up home security as i've realised it was far too easy for them to get into the house.

G_Morto

Mar 20, 2020
Sorry to hear that Op, is car theft known to be prominent in your area?

Also what security measures are you guys looking to put in place? More home security as opposed to the car itself I assume.

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
I have seen your car around few times in the past as my office up the road from you on Mucklow Hill.

Shame about the car hope thieves get what they deserve...

Strong handles, Ts007 3 star locks, not UPVC doors and door/window contact alarm are must those days.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

Lance Uppercut

Jul 3, 2014
Exactly, i've just replaced all locks to be 3 star, already had a Ring doorbell which captured the theft, but i've added another camera high up on the front and one of the security light cameras on the back. Also put spikes on top of the side gates, which is where they gained access to my back garden.

Will have a look at the Autowatch Ghost system too when i get my new car.

Last edited:

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
Exactly, i've just replaced all locks to be 3 star, already had a Ring doorbell which captured the theft, but i've added another camera high up on the front and one of the security light cameras on the back. Also put spikes on top of the side gates, which is where they gained access to my back garden.

Simple switch on fuel pump positive lead should do the trick... Cheap and easy to install.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Really sickening when you see this type of discussion thread. @Lance Uppercut; thankfully, no one in your house was injured which is the main thing. I sincerely hope the perpetrators are caught and get their comeuppance.

In your position, I’d certainly be looking to upgrade home security. Other things to consider;
  • I see from your pictures you have a garage. If it’ll accommodate a Leon sized car (even if it’s a bit of a tight squeeze) then I’d be clearing it out of anything stored in there and garaging the car in future. Out of sight is out of mind, so removes the temptation from any would-be perpetrators.
  • Ensure you've got GAP insurance so if it were to happen again, you at least won’t suffer financially if your car insurer‘s claim settlement is unrealistic. Don’t buy GAP cover from Seat though as their price is a rip off. Better to go direct to the GAP insurance provider.
  • If you have keyless entry, consider keeping the key fobs in a faraday pouch or metal container in the house to stop the signal being intercepted by signal amplification relay equipment. Also temporarily disable keyless when your car’s parked up.
  • Buy a cheap physical protection device like a Disklok or Stoplock Pro. Anything makes it less easy for a would be perpetrator to steal your car, and they’re more likely move on to easier pickings. Ensure you keep the key separate from your car key fob though.
  • Get a large dog! To practical for everyone, but maybe a consideration, a a snarling, barking dog is likely to deter most people from breaking into your home.
Hopefully you can put this horrible experience behind you and get on with life and enjoy your new car when you get it.

tak-fr

Dec 3, 2017

Scum of the Earth.
Can’t have anything we work hard for these days.

Hope a good resolution comes from this!

West Midlands right now is a hotspot for car theft.

A neighbours ‘17 RS7 was stolen but fortunately found but is now gone for repair as the scums damaged the front end - he says as soon as it’s back his putting it up for sale and getting something more under the radar. Sad times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
The only thing I don't like about security like Ghost is, depending on how much they want the car, there's a chance they'll be waking you up for the key sequence. Hopefully they'd end up running off after spending quite a bit of time getting to the point of trying to start it.

Me being paranoid about this sort of thing, would worry me if I won one of the BOTB car competitions! Having a brand new £100k+ car on my driveway would worry me sick! I'd be gutted, but I'd have to take the money alternative.

Sochaux

Jan 28, 2018
Sorry to here about this, so close to home too. I’ve got exactly the same car and I’ve beefed up security but if someone wants something of yours then they’ll do whatever to get it.

Like others have said, the main thing is no one has been hurt physically but I imagine it’s difficult to cope with mentally knowing someone has been inside your home while you were asleep upstairs.

Fester999

May 17, 2020
I've got a tracker on my motorbike but it costs £100 per year! Guaranteed that the year I don't renew my bike will get nicked!
Hope you get sorted mate.