Strange idle from cold start

Fozly

Dec 2, 2009
Hey!

I'm new here, been lurking and using the search function for the last month, and I have found everything very useful and informative!

Recently purchased a mk1 2001 leon TDI SE 110, with the ASV engine.

However I have a small issue, sorry if this has been covered but i can't find a problem on here the same as this;

When I start the car in the morning from cold it wont idle properly, for the first few minutes it revs up and down between 800-900rpm (purr purr purr etc.) It sound as if its compensating for load like when you turn lights on or AC in some cars.

I believe this not to be the case as i have tried every combination of systems running at start up. If you tweak the pedal a tad it is fine. It is also fine when up to temperature where it idles smoothly at 900rpm.

I wondered if there was some kind of cold start valve or a MAF/EGR problem?

Fozly

Dec 2, 2009
Hi, yea have been online, never need to post though I'm pro with the search function!!!

Anyway, never fixed the issue, sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't.

I thought it could be air in the system so bled air out + changed filter, to no avail.

As it happens so uniformly I'm certain it is a sensor/computer/electrical fault.

It only happens for a few moments at start up if left alone. Never stopped it running in -12 degrees winter temperatures so I learn't to live with it.

Any suggestions welcome

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Sounds like it could be a faulty coolant temp sensor or the signal, need to check the real temp with something like vagcom as the gauge is a bit inaccurate.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.