Stuck going into 1st gear and reverse... normal?

Sep 21, 2014
I went from driving a 2000 year car to a 2014 car, so I can't say I have experience of new cars!

Basically I have noticed that occasionally when I select 1st gear, it doesn't 'go in' properly, so I have to either try a few times until I feel it go in properly, or let the car roll a tiny bit until it pops into gear.

Very occasionally (2 or 3 times) I have been driving, put it into 1st but it has not gone in properly and I didn't notice, so it pops back out again causing me to roll backwards and look like I can't drive a car!!

Just wondering if this is normal? It doesn't happen often but it's a pain when it does!

It's a Seat Leon SC btw

Last edited:

lethalMango

Sep 23, 2014
Sounds like the exact problem I had on my old Vauxhall where the gear linkage went. It was an easy fix (done under warranty in the end anyway).

lethalMango

Sep 23, 2014
Really?! It's not even 2 months old!!

I'm definitely no mechanic so don't take it for gospel by any means!

I'd run it in to Seat to check, it's definitely not right as it is. Does it ever get worse and then get better, or does it get progressively worse?

Sep 21, 2014
I'm definitely no mechanic so don't take it for gospel by any means!

I'd run it in to Seat to check, it's definitely not right as it is. Does it ever get worse and then get better, or does it get progressively worse?

It just happens every now and again. Like for example, the other day I was parked and went to put it into reverse to reverse out. I could slot it into reverse (1st gear slot) but normally I feel a little bump when it goes into gear (hard to describe the feeling) but it didn't quite go. The solution normally is just to apply a little bit of pressure to the gear stick and carry on as normal- it pops into place as soon as you bring the clutch up a tiny tiny bit. Or I can roll a little and it will slot in.

Another time I was stopped in traffic on a slope in second. Put it into first and went to creep forward and it popped out of first and I rolled back so hit the brakes (god knows what they must have thought behind!!). Normally I can feel when it doesn't go in properly but sometimes it's hard to tell if you're doing it quick.

However it doesn't happen much- probably once or twice a week (and I drive 5 days a week). I guess it would be hard for Seat to check it if it happens so irregularly.

I'm not even sure if it's a problem or if it happens in all cars. It certainly happened in my old car, but I'm pretty sure the gearbox was on the way out anyway with some of the noises it made!!

noonoo63

Mar 7, 2014
Scotland
It just happens every now and again. Like for example, the other day I was parked and went to put it into reverse to reverse out. I could slot it into reverse (1st gear slot) but normally I feel a little bump when it goes into gear (hard to describe the feeling) but it didn't quite go. The solution normally is just to apply a little bit of pressure to the gear stick and carry on as normal- it pops into place as soon as you bring the clutch up a tiny tiny bit. Or I can roll a little and it will slot in.

Another time I was stopped in traffic on a slope in second. Put it into first and went to creep forward and it popped out of first and I rolled back so hit the brakes (god knows what they must have thought behind!!). Normally I can feel when it doesn't go in properly but sometimes it's hard to tell if you're doing it quick.

However it doesn't happen much- probably once or twice a week (and I drive 5 days a week). I guess it would be hard for Seat to check it if it happens so irregularly.

I'm not even sure if it's a problem or if it happens in all cars. It certainly happened in my old car, but I'm pretty sure the gearbox was on the way out anyway with some of the noises it made!!

I have this also very occassionally as I did with my mark6 Golf but only 1st gear, think it is just the gear linkage a bit knotchy. It improved after about 6k on my Golf so hoping for same on the Leon......now at 4 1/2k.
As you say letting clutch out very slightly lets the gear slip in.

Last edited:

Sc ste fr

Apr 27, 2014
I have this problem on my 1.4 sc fr, Its sometimes hard to change down when say going from 3rd to 2nd and also when going into reverse occassionally !

ElronDemoN

May 4, 2017
Sorry for reviving an old post. I've got a 1.4 SC FR 2015 the exact same problem between the 1st and the reverse gears.

I was told by the local representatives of Seat to wait 1-2 seconds before switching, or to go through 2nd gear when switching from 1st to reverse.

Both options never worked for me and doesn't event sound reliable.

How did you guys manage to fix the problem? Or just live with it?

Thanks

OptimusDecline

Feb 24, 2016
Scotland
Do you only ever get an issue when going from first to reverse? If so, I'm pretty sure this is by design. You normally have to pass through neutral with the clutch up to go from 1st to reverse to avoid you accidentally selecting reverse when driving forwards?

ElronDemoN

May 4, 2017
Isn't it the "pushing down" mechanism that avoids selecting reverse when driving forwards?

In all of the cases, the problem is that the gear doesn't go IN (if I return to neutral, it usually goes in on the second try, OR when I start releasing the clutch).

The frequency happens as follows (first - most common):
1) First -> neutral -> reverse.
2) Just first from neutral
3) Extremely rare cases - 5th and 6th from neutral.

Do you suggest to do it like that?
1) Clutch down then first->neutral
2) Clutch up
3) Clutch down then neutral->reverse

Thanks

Last edited:

OptimusDecline

Feb 24, 2016
Scotland
Isn't it the "pushing down" mechanism that avoids selecting reverse when driving forwards?

In all of the cases, the problem is that the gear doesn't go IN (if I return to neutral, it usually goes in on the second try, OR when I start releasing the clutch).

The frequency happens as follows (first - most common):
1) First -> neutral -> reverse.
2) Just first from neutral
3) Extremely rare cases - 5th and 6th from neutral.

Do you suggest to do it like that?
1) Clutch down then first->neutral
2) Clutch up
3) Clutch down then neutral->reverse

Thanks

Possibly not just the safety interolck on first to reverse then if you experience it just going to first and between 5th and 6th as well. I think i automatically double declutch between 1st and reverse so i can't remem er if the leon does have the interlock. Al lot of other cars i've driven have it though, even if you have to do an additiinal action to select reverse like pulling the collar up on gearstick.

Ogi

Jul 13, 2018
Serbia
I went from driving a 2000 year car to a 2014 car, so I can't say I have experience of new cars!

Basically I have noticed that occasionally when I select 1st gear, it doesn't 'go in' properly, so I have to either try a few times until I feel it go in properly, or let the car roll a tiny bit until it pops into gear.

Very occasionally (2 or 3 times) I have been driving, put it into 1st but it has not gone in properly and I didn't notice, so it pops back out again causing me to roll backwards and look like I can't drive a car!!

Just wondering if this is normal? It doesn't happen often but it's a pain when it does!

Hello,

Have you sorted it out eventually ?

I have Leon MK3 FL 2017 and EXACTLY the same problem !

It all started from the first day I bought the car. An official dealer replaced a gearbox and later a whole clutch set. I am now at 18,5k km and the problem is still there although significantly less than before all that. They dont want to have anything with it anymore as they declared everything is ok now, a state of mechanism. I tried contacting Seat Spain, the clutch set was replaced thanx to their advise and supervision but I cant get get anymore help from them eather.

Meanwhile, I drove 3 other Leons, 1 before FL model, one the same as mine and one 5 speed diesel and every each of them had the same thing although MUCH less than on mine. I never had problems selecting 1st on those cars although I felt something pinching every time I try to put into first. It really seems to be "normal" on Leon.

I have to mention that before all these replacements it was much harder to select reverse as well, also sometimes I couldnt switch to 2nd and it was popping out of it.

When I turn off the engine and try to put into 1st, there is at least 50% change that it wont go at all from the 1st truy but I need to do it several times. In fact, the worst problem is when I turn off the car and try, the gearbox then sounds and feel dry and clunky, like no oil at all or something.

All in all, it is better but the problem is still there.

Thanx.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
I have a theory about this problem - had it before on the Skoda Octavia (manual) and have it to some extent on the Cupra, but harder to feel because of the DSG.

The problem is the subframe shifting position.
Have them align/check the subframe. Also, I found out it helps to drive on a cobblestone pavement to shake all the components in suspension and engine mounts - if you do that, check right after and you will notice the gear engagement is smooth.
The subframe is a known weak point in this platform and I think that upgrading all the engine mounts might get rid of this issue.

Ogi

Jul 13, 2018
Serbia
Can you explain "subframe" , cant understand correctly ?

Regarding cobblestone, hearing you saying that might help sounds like a joke but anyway, our roads are much more worse than a cobblestone and I drive on them every day.

I know, I feel it has nothing to do with the gearbox or clutch, the problem is somewhere right beneath a gearstick, like there is a safety 1st gear / reverse something that makes a stick interlocks.

Or, it also may have something with the gear linkage but when an official service garage tried to adjust it, they made a bigger problem although changing gears felt different then. I am almost sure that you can do much by adjusting those cables.

Here is the video of the problem of some other guy:

Ogi

Jul 13, 2018
Serbia
Synchros ? Or linkage cables ? I doubt an official servise would open the gearbox and do something with it on a brand new car. If u read my first post, they have changed my whole gearbox and the problem is still there, less but its there.

Here, official service dont want to actually FIX something, they either do regular service or replace the whole part. I am obliged to go to them becouse of the warranty.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.