Sump plug

Ca11um43

Dec 10, 2021
Does anybody know where I can get a new sump plug, like in the picture? It's for my Cupra R (225 BAM engine). Mine has been leaking for a while now, and every service I buy a new one which says it fits my engine, but they have all been wrong so far 🙄 I have replaced the copper washer, and it's still leaking. Not loads, but drops of oil keep forming at the bottom of the sump, right under the sump plug. I also have to keep topping the oil up, after long periods of time. It's just getting annoying now lol

Attachments

• 20220330_143508.jpg
    20220330_143508.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 20220330_143519.jpg
    20220330_143519.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 80

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Mines's the same - the threads just wear out with them being soft.

The solution was to buy sump plugs N90813202 and N0138492. Then take the washer off the latter and force it onto the former with pliers.

Ca11um43

Dec 10, 2021
Mines's the same - the threads just wear out with them being soft.

The solution was to buy sump plugs N90813202 and N0138492. Then take the washer off the latter and force it onto the former with pliers.
Every time I order one for the 225 BAM engine, N90813202 is what I receive...But it's way too small for my sump. Like it won't thread in at all. I can push it in to the sump plug hole, without it catching on any of the threads (if I remember correctly). So I don't think it's down to the threads being worn out. Unless somebody has made the hole bigger and put some aftermarket sump plug in 🤷‍♂️ But I don't see why they would do that. I didn't notice any leaks when I first bought the car. It only really started after I did the first oil change on it myself. I have since done a few more oil changes, replaced the copper washer multiple times, etc etc and nothing seems to fix it. Also can't find a sump plug that will thread in, to replace it. So I'm not too sure what to do.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
It might be time for a new sump. It's a bit more time and effort to fit it, but it'll save the head-scratching every time you change the oil in future, and it'll also give you a chance to check the oil pick-up and make sure it's healthy.

I'm lucky enough to have been the second owner of my car and have owned it for fourteen of its seventeen years, so I know it really well, but if someone - or a garage - has done the kind of work that means the sump threads are gone, I'd be wanting to check that everything else is OK behind it. I know the first time I changed my oil myself, the last garage to do it had done the plug up way too tight - probably using a noisy gun - so someone doing the same on your car could have stripped the threads.

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
your sump has probably been helicoiled out, i had the same thing. few sump plugs later i just stuck with what i have and used a couple washers because i couldnt find the right size anywhere. it leaks a drop here and there but nothing to worry about.

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
If you do swap the sump, there are a pair of slots machined into the back face of the flywheel.
Once you know this & turn the crank to suit, the two absof**kinlutely impossible to get at bolts hiding by the flywheel are now merely awkward.
At least for the 110 tdi.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.