Surface rust near turbo

DuckPit

Jul 2, 2021
Had bonnet open today first time to check oil, looking at the engine bay I noticed what looked to be iron casting at back of engine bay with what appears to be surface rust on it. I pretty sure it's where the turbo fixes on to engine, there seems to be some fixing, see below pic rust on top bit and then it runs down the curved edge, any others have same on there's? I
IMG_20211123_143945.jpg

Last edited:

DuckPit

Jul 2, 2021
New engine time
Lol car only 5 weeks old, I thought it surface rust but I rubbed it after the pic and bits flaking / breaking off, it looks it's got damaged before fitting, booked in anyway to be looked at.

tokk1es

Sep 1, 2021
Lol car only 5 weeks old, I thought it surface rust but I rubbed it after the pic and bits flaking / breaking off, it looks it's got damaged before fitting, booked in anyway to be looked at.
Did you get this looked at? What did they say? Looks like I have the same thing on my Formentor

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Had bonnet open today first time to check oil, looking at the engine bay I noticed what looked to be iron casting at back of engine bay with what appears to be surface rust on it.
Did you get this looked at? What did they say? Looks like I have the same thing on my Formentor
If it’s cast iron and unpainted (or not painted with heat resistant paint) it will corrode. You’ll see the same with cast iron exhaust manifolds and brake discs if they get wet - e.g. when washing the car and a fine layer of corrosion forms on the braking surface of the disc.

If you were to bring it to the dealer’s attention I doubt they (or Cupra) would be interested. I dare say they’d say it’s normal.