Suspension Geometry

Fisher

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the autodata geometry for a 2000 Leon tdi se should be?

I have just sent the car to get four wheel alignment at a place recommended by 'alignmycar'.

The car still pulls to the left and the caster angles do not appear to have been adjusted by shifting the subframe..

I'm gonna send it back. Below are the figures they have set the car to...

The figures I currently have are:

LEFT FRONT

- 0*54' CAMBER
6*57' CASTER
-0*01' TOE

RIGHT FRONT

- 0*08' CAMBER
7*24' CASTER
-0*03' TOE

REAR LEFT

-1*41' CAMBER
0*13' TOE

REAR RIGHT

-1*09' CAMBER
0*11' TOE

I suggest that the nearside of the subframe should be shifted forward to increase the caster on the NSF. The Subframe should be moved slightly (squarely) to the right (O/S) this will increase the camber on the OSF and remove it from the NSF.

I am concerned at my uneven and excessive rear negative camber. Could this mean my bushes are knackered?

It doesn't creak or do owt else horrid on the backed (different from standard).

The TT roadster subframe bushes and TT control arm bushes along with steering rack bush have really tightened the front up!!

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Rear camber is not far off right
Even if the subframe is moved across will be very small adjustment (0.2/0.3), struggled to really get anything on my LCR
Leons are notorious for pulling to the left even when everything is spot on
Rear toe doesnt look good but not really any adjustment unless you ubdo the brackets holding rear beams bushing bolt

Fisher

Have got the subframe corrected but still the thing moves slightly to the left..

I notice there are hundreds of complaints of the same thing.

Out of curiosity has anyone checked the wheelbase is 100% also has anyone looked at how a standard car cornerweights?

I am pretty curious what setting or misalignment causes them all to do it!

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
One theory on the balance is the car is originally designed to be LHD and adapted for us.
This means the roads camber and driver weight could have been taken into account in the design phase for LHD and the resulting mod to RHD left it a bit out but still within the tolerance

Fisher

The Camber on the rear near side is substantially greater than the offside...

This would create a camber thrust pushing the rear of the car over to the right resulting in the car tracking slightly left?? - Theory 1

Do folk still have this problem when they have coilovers fitted?
I wonder how the car cornerweights as standard. I have seen many cars when cornerweighted correctly having visually have quite unneven ride height - theory 2

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
I have coilovers and the problem is still slightly there.
After awhile playing around every corner is at a different height, even more so after battery relocation.
I have been meaning to get it corner weighted for quite a while now

MATTCR

FR
Mar 6, 2007
UK
Every VAG car I've ever driven pulls to the left. I always assumed it was a designed safety feature.

It most certainly is, so if you fall asleep you don't drive into on coming traffic :)

The roads are cambered to the left aswell, so that doesnt help.

Mine was pulling all over the place and went thru 2 tyres pretty quick, but Awesome did the alignment yesterday and its now bang on! Yipee

allias

Nov 17, 2011
Somewhere in a middle
Fisher:

On your initial spec you would need to adjust cradle again to even this out. On top of that spec you runing to much neg toe on front which will cause inside tyre wear and quite stiff steering wheel responce. I would suggest to get to about +0.05 toe on each side. After cradle adjustment - of course.

As far as left pull on VAGs and option that they all pull or this is safety feature - MYTH. They are harder to adjust but that can be done. despite genetal opinion. Those cars can drive straight without any trouble.

allias

Nov 17, 2011
Somewhere in a middle
I forgot to add - lowered suspension doesnt help to make it feel going straight. There is more pressure on components so it works harder and at the same time its more sensitive to camber of a road. Many lowered cars can go straight but with bigger lft camber road poeple got feeling - IT ALWAYS PULL when in real - it only is effected by the road.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members