'Tailgate' Water Problem!

Layum8

Well, I noticed that my one of reverse lights wasn't working. So off i go to get a new reverse light. Read the manual and took the lights off easy enough. However after opening up the light section up i found water inside and rust 1/3 of the way up the metal light contacts. Which has probably shorted out the reverse light. I can't see any way the water could be getting in. I checked the other lights as well and those also had water inside them :confused:

I was just wonder if there was a known fault with them, if there is way of fixing it with maybe a sealant or something of that nature, OR would it just be easier to buy a new set of lights?

Any advice would be great,

Thanks,

Layum8.

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
There's not a know problem with the lights that I know of - the Arosa's do suffer from the rear wash-wipe pipe coming loose but this tends to leak water into the car and footwells...

The lights should have rubber seals around the bulb holders to keep out water, do yours look perished?

Layum8

Hey Lunalupi

They look in pretty good condition, one looks worse than the other but they both have water in them, would it be an idea to try to seal them, then see if the water is getting in. (If i can remove the two lower bulbs that are rusted in place).

Thanks

Layum8

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
There are 2 brass pegs that slot into the bodywork at the sides of the lights. Just check the little rubber holes that they slot into. Also check that when you clip the bulb holders into the lights that they are screwed in really tight. Should also be a rubber seal around the plug bit, check that the wires havent stripped back and that the plug bit is tucked into the bodywork when you push the lights back in.

You will need a new bulb holder to replace the corroded/rusted one. As Gary says he has a spare set or keep your eyes peeled on ebay. I got another set of lights on there yesterday for £10. Actually - I have a spare bulb holder if you need just that bit.

Last edited:

Layum8

Hey,

Ive took my lights off over the weekend to let them dry completely. Im goin to need at least one new bulb holder, so GreenGoddess i might take you up on that offer of a new bulb holder. However both rear lights seem to be on there way out. So i was thinking it might just be easier and cheaper in the long run to buy a new set, So ArosaRacer i might invest in the lights you have spare. Currently only one of my reverse lights have gone so im just going to see how it goes when it rains etc.

Thanks for all your help,

Layum8

Arosafan

Possible cause

I don't know about yours, but mine drips lots of rainwater when I lift the tailgate. It can't be good and may explain your rust problem?

dvfmliv

I had a similar problem on my Lupo, in that part of the rubber seals around the tailgate were misaligned. I didn't even notice until there was a heavy rainfall one night. I came out the following morning to find an inch (yes, an inch!) of rainwater swilling about the rear passenger footwells, and the back seats were wrung through too.

I'd had the Lupo about three days, took it back to the VW dealer who were very unsympathetic - so a mate in work discovered the rubber seal problem. We fixed them back into place, dried the affected areas off and there was no problem after that.

Andy :)

Layum8

Hey.

I haven't seen any water in the car as yet but it hasn't really rained that hard here. After i took my lights off and let them dry for a while i haven't seen anywater in them since. Im just waiting to see what happens and keep an eye out i suppose. I shall report back with any findings

thanks for your help,

Layum8

Monte100

Water in lights

I am sure you must have solved the problem by now but I thought I would let you know that I had exactly the same problem on my 1.4 auto. I couldn't work out how the water got in as it was so difficult to get it out. Ater several repetitions of the problem I solved it by simply drilling a vry small hole in the bottom of the unit. It didn't stop water getting in but it stopped it accumulating and rusting up the unit.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.