Taking the Leon for a european road trip

morleymackam

Jul 14, 2007
It's the first time i've had a car worthy of a road trip so we're going to get a ferry to calais and then go on a jaunt.

Any ideas for a route? Where to stop?

Random route so far:

Calais->
Ypres->
Lille->
Brugge->
Antwerp->
Eindhoven->
Cologne->
Heidelburg->
Nuremburg->
Munich->
Innsbruck->
Zurich->
Basel->
Strasbourg->
Metz->
reims->
Arras->
Calais.
:D
Any ideas? Those are random stabs from looking at google maps.

Last edited:

morleymackam

Jul 14, 2007
You forgot Nurburg for a bit of ring action. ;) Also what about Millau?

Was thinking about it. is it possible to have a pootle around rather than going full whack? Don't want to knacker the car in the middle of a three week holiday.

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Was thinking about it. is it possible to have a pootle around rather than going full whack? Don't want to knacker the car in the middle of a three week holiday.
:yes: Just go round at your own pace watching your mirrors, etc and indicate right to allow traffic past. Treat it as a blast on an unfamiliar B-road rather than a track and you'll (hopefully) be fine.

tommy-cupra

Jan 31, 2006
Prague, Czech republic
you forgot one of the nicest citys in the world my friend PRAGUE !!!!!!!!!!!! and I think if you will be in prague, you can stop by also in austria ( wien or salzburg )

Last edited:

Jordash

I'm a big fan of the Alps, been over there quite a few times. Mainly for the kayaking in the summer, but the scenery is stunning as well. the other year we travelled through France, Italy, Switzerland, Lichtenstein (blink and you miss it), Austria, Germany and Belgium. Driving around Switzerland was gorgeous, but a little odd, everything seems just a bit too organised. Like the entire country's got OCD!
Anyway, I'm sure wherever you go you'll have a great time.

Dash

morleymackam

Jul 14, 2007
you forgot one of the nicest citys in the world my friend PRAGUE !!!!!!!!!!!! and I think if you will be in prague, you can stop by also in austria ( wien or salzburg )

Been to Prague a few times but worry it's a bit far for the scope of my trip. Tend to stay in Smichov and love the place. Would buy an apartment there if I could afford it.

morleymackam

Jul 14, 2007
I'm a big fan of the Alps, been over there quite a few times. Mainly for the kayaking in the summer, but the scenery is stunning as well. the other year we travelled through France, Italy, Switzerland, Lichtenstein (blink and you miss it), Austria, Germany and Belgium. Driving around Switzerland was gorgeous, but a little odd, everything seems just a bit too organised. Like the entire country's got OCD!
Anyway, I'm sure wherever you go you'll have a great time.

Dash

How long do you take on your trips? Don't know whether to keep it short or to go for broke and catch as many as I can! The main issue with the alps is the missus has a great fear of heights so windy mountain roads are a no go! :cry: Are there routes/tunnels to avoid them?

Monumental

Mar 10, 2007
East Anglia
I've done a couple of road trips in europe and I'd say that if you're spending 2-3 weeks you can cover a lot of the best that the alps have to offer. Your best guide is www.alpineroads.com which is a biker site but has all you need to know about which roads to do.

Basically, you need to travel down through Germany (via the 'ring for a quick pootle during a tourist session) and head down the autobahns at vmax to austria. Take in the grossglockner and then head to the dolomites, which is where my favourite passes were i.e. giau. If you've got the time, head further into Italy to check out the mile milligia routes, if not head to the stelvio pass. From there you can head back up through Germany or if there's time go through the south of france where you can do the route naploean (which I haven't done but Evo mag are always raving about it).

Brugge etc. is nice but not from a driving point of view, so I'd say leave it for a romantic w/e in the autumn.

Here's some piccys from my last trip:

http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g200/jg_500/Das Wedding Hoon/