TDi 110 on-going engine problems

markjw

Oct 20, 2001
West London
Visit site
Anyone's help with this would be much appreciated as I just don't know what to do next. Vehicle is a Leon TDi 110 SE, 2003 model with 27,000 miles and has been giving the following symptoms:

1. Hesitation when accelerating, feels like the turbo is very laggy.
2. Engine feels like it cuts out for a second when driving at a constant speed
3. Engine will suddenly go into limp mode with accelerating
4. Engine will suddenly drop to idle and not respond to the throttle
5. On over-run there is a flapping type noise - can be heard louder it the air-cleaner box is opened.
6. Seems to have burnt around a litre of oil in the past couple of weeks.
7. Engine will miss then stall after being reved.

So far the dealers have done the following.

1. Changed the MAF (twice - last time in Dec 05)
2. Replaced the coolant temperture sensor
3. Stripped down and cleaned the intake / turbo pipes
4. Replaced the valve that controls the turbo (N75? - the white topped one on the bulkhead)

The car is three weeks out of warranty with the problems having gone on for the best part of two years and getting worse so you can understand I am pretty cheesed off with both SEAT and this car.

Ian_Ibiza_FR

Is your car an import?

Mark,

You mention that your car is a 2003 model, I assume you must have bought it at the very beginning of 2003, (as you should have a 3 year warranty).

Another thing, is once the dealer had done each repair, did that fix the car, or did you immediatley still have problems. (Especially relevant for the last repair they carried out). I would argue that if you still had problems immediately after the last repair, you would have a good argument for saying that the car was taken to the dealers within it's warranty period. However, due to the ongoing issues, the warranty has expired, but the problem was never fixed, so they SHOULD cover you anyway.

Worst case, If you don't get any joy from the garage or SEAT UK, I'd go straight to Watchdog.

Cheers,

Ian

markjw

Oct 20, 2001
West London
Visit site
Hi Ian,

Car was registered 1 Jan 2003 so three weeks out of warranty - car was brought May 2003 as an approved used vehicle. Faults have re-occured either within a couple of days of being looked at by the dealer or the car has been OK for a couple of months, then the problems start again.

This started with the engine going into limp mode on acceleration and has now progressed to giving all the other symptoms. It was last at a dealer for the problems in mid-December at which time the MAF was changed again.

Really don't know where to turn next - all I have ever got from SEAT is 'take it to a dealer and they will fix it' - it seems that they just don't want to get involved.

Mark

magic77

Soot Machine
Jan 20, 2004
Camberley - Surrey
Visit site
my 110 went into limp mode couple of times turned out to be th eboost controller valves n75 I belive.

All the resolutions you descirped are the ones I have had done in the past, MAF, and actual filter. It could also be the EGR valve not working correctly causing this. On a friends car he had over fueling and power loss issues turned out the EGR was playing about. in vag.com wrong values were reported. We disabled EGR and it worked much better. Could get that checked as last result

sssstew

Editing your spelling
sounds like the dealer has changed all the things which usually break or are known weak points without actually thinking if they will fix the problem.

I think the best way to trouble shoot this would be to get VAG COM on a laptop and a lead and firstly see what faults are logged when you go into limp mode, then 2ndly do some logging to check for un-usual things.

Georgel

Aug 10, 2005
Do you think this could be the same problem I am getting. My engine cuts boost under hard acceleration. The engine has to be under considerable load though, it will not do it in 1st, or 2nd. In 4th as revs build up to 3k it just stops pulling. I have to flick the ignition off and back on and its off again. In top if I put my foot down at 65 it will do the same at about 80mph. Again is load related as it will cutout earlier up a gradient.

Seat told me possible MAF, but it runs fine other than that. It seems a bit down on power, but it never cuts a out or misses a beat. The ideal is fine and its still smooth to drive. Its still returning 55mpg as welll.

Any ideas?

George

magic77

Soot Machine
Jan 20, 2004
Camberley - Surrey
Visit site
sounds like the same issue seems your car is going into limp mode.

You need to get vag.com or get dealer to run a diag to check for error codes. You then most likley will find a an error refereting to the n75

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
Yes I had the fluttering flapping noise on my TDI 110 as well although no obvious problems with power or limp mode. Eventually diagnosed as collapsed/collapsing fins in the turbo and replaced under warranty. ONE DAY before the warranty expired as well! Phew!

wjchholt

Hi Markjw, how much did they charge for a new turbo, or was it under warranty? I have similar problem with turbo cutting out and i've been qouted £1000 for replacement and fitting!!! Car is 1 year out of warranty.

Cheers

Georgel

Aug 10, 2005
Just keep your eye open on ebay mate. I bought one for £70. Got it fitted at a local garage and saved a fortune. :)

markjw

Oct 20, 2001
West London
Visit site
Hi Markjw, how much did they charge for a new turbo, or was it under warranty? I have similar problem with turbo cutting out and i've been qouted £1000 for replacement and fitting!!! Car is 1 year out of warranty.

Cheers

as mine had been to the dealers numerous times for the same fault and the car was only a couple of months out of warranty, SEAT did decide to cover it under warranty,

Mark

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.