'TDI Tuning' box fitted...

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
I've had a DTUK tuning box fitted to my 184 FR DSG for some while now, and there is no disputing that it gives extra power and slightly better economy. But..
This was at the expenses of the smoothness of the engine, and frequent DPF regens.
I eventually took it off as I spend most of my time trundling along behind a queue of cars/lorries/tractors etc and the noisy diesel rattle grated with me.
After a quick googling session I came across TDI Tuning who offered, on the face of it, the same as DTUK.
I would like to point out now, that this is in no way a 'slagging off' of DTUK. It is just the facts that I would like to share with other 184 owners.
The new box produces very much smoother power, and plenty of it!
It has transformed the car. And Steve at TDI Tuning is extremely knowledgable and is happy to answer any questions. Fuel consumption has dropped, but too early to say by how much, but it is a noticeable amount.
I'm currently running on a 'mid setting' that gives the best combination of economy and power. From here I can go 3 settings in each direction.
I know that there have been many threads recommending DTUK, but as they say, other tuning boxes are available!
This one works for my car, and works really really well. I had a quick try on the next setting up on power and the performance was amazing. I'm trying to be restrained and spend a bit of time on various settings to get the full picture.
I'll post any updates if I think they're relevant and useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
Will do, but everything good so far.
'Trevor' might have to go on eBay in search of a good home...

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

alex3460

Nov 9, 2015
Hi,
Is it the stage 2 box capable of 240bhp/ 500nm
Also how much are you looking for it?

Thanks

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
Hi Alex,
Yes, it's the CRD-T, stage 2 version.
I'm looking for £270.
I got it in July if I remember correctly, and took it off mid October.
Where in the country are you?

Edit: thinking about it, I'm sure I got it in June, not July. Makes no difference but I'd rather be honest!

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

Last edited:

Andrew@DTUK

Forum Sponsor
I've had a DTUK tuning box fitted to my 184 FR DSG for some while now, and there is no disputing that it gives extra power and slightly better economy. But..
This was at the expenses of the smoothness of the engine, and frequent DPF regens.
I eventually took it off as I spend most of my time trundling along behind a queue of cars/lorries/tractors etc and the noisy diesel rattle grated with me.
After a quick googling session I came across TDI Tuning who offered, on the face of it, the same as DTUK.
I would like to point out now, that this is in no way a 'slagging off' of DTUK. It is just the facts that I would like to share with other 184 owners.
The new box produces very much smoother power, and plenty of it!
It has transformed the car. And Steve at TDI Tuning is extremely knowledgable and is happy to answer any questions. Fuel consumption has dropped, but too early to say by how much, but it is a noticeable amount.
I'm currently running on a 'mid setting' that gives the best combination of economy and power. From here I can go 3 settings in each direction.
I know that there have been many threads recommending DTUK, but as they say, other tuning boxes are available!
This one works for my car, and works really really well. I had a quick try on the next setting up on power and the performance was amazing. I'm trying to be restrained and spend a bit of time on various settings to get the full picture.
I'll post any updates if I think they're relevant and useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Choice is a great thing, and "you cant win them all" but we do pride ourselves on making sure customers are happy, we run a 2015 Skoda that travels 30 mile a day and ill be honest I've not noticed any excessive DPF regens, but that boils down to driving regime and trundling behind tractors is never going to help. If the kit isn't behaving as it should or how you would of liked, or as the majority of cars are running then maybe we should of been your first port of call. Obviously at this time i don't know your name,what setting you were using on the box, and if you have voiced any concerns to us in the past then again at this time i cant put 2 and 2 together :)

Our phone number is 01207 299538 if you would like to give us a call :)

Last edited:

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
Hi Andrew.
As I said, this is in no way meant to detract from you product, which 99% of users rave about.
Your response here backs up all the comments about excellent customer service, which I too would endorse.
I know that every engine is slightly different due to the combined tolerances of all components, and the setup I now have works for MY car, under MY driving conditions very well.
As you said, you can't win them all!
I did try every program on +0, +1 & +2. DPF regens were an issue for me on +2, and I am also extremely fussy and sensitive to the smooth running of engines.
What I have now is smoother than stock for MY engine.
Your box may give better results on a different car.
I still use one of your pedal boxes by the way, and think it's great!

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

Andrew@DTUK

Forum Sponsor
Hi Andrew.
As I said, this is in no way meant to detract from you product, which 99% of users rave about.
Your response here backs up all the comments about excellent customer service, which I too would endorse.
I know that every engine is slightly different due to the combined tolerances of all components, and the setup I now have works for MY car, under MY driving conditions very well.
As you said, you can't win them all!
I did try every program on +0, +1 & +2. DPF regens were an issue for me on +2, and I am also extremely fussy and sensitive to the smooth running of engines.
What I have now is smoother than stock for MY engine.
Your box may give better results on a different car.
I still use one of your pedal boxes by the way, and think it's great!

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

again not sure if you spoke to us regarding settings either prior or post sale but we always advise running the files on plus 1 max, I'm sure I've said it many times over the years on this forum and various others. our 2009 leon 170 would run great on plus 1, plus 2 made it run like a bag of hammers.. On the flip side i know of cars running plus 3 without issues too..

Im glad your enjoying the pedal box ;) and if you want to try revised software we've been working on for trevor recently then again you have my number

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
I did speak to your team at length before and after the sale, and got some good advice, although if I recall it +2 was the recommended max setting.
If you are working on a revised map then never say never! If I get a chance I'll give you a ring out of courtesy.

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG

noel2014

Jan 6, 2014
Tamworth
From My Own personal experience of having one on my 184FR (2014 plate) I would steer very well clear as it brought nothing but problems. Had to have boost pressure sensor replaced twice whilst box was attached ( luckily for me box easily removed so was covered under warranty ) although the guy who attended initial breakdown was very suspicious to say the least. Also be prepared for an extreme amount of re-gens even when car sitting on drive the fans will be going mad for sometimes 10 - 15 minutes after engine turned off. And then finally there is the car regularly going into Limp mode even when turn the box setting to its lowest settings - very annoying having to stop car, take box off and wait for limp to reset.... safe to say as soon as I took the box off... Ta Darrrrr, as If byPaul Daniels magic wand, the problems all went away. Although said tuning box provider will say its definitey not their fault and the fault is with the car ... The good news from my experience though is that I loved the extra power,,,, so I have a new Cupra 290 on order now ... always a silver lining so they say.

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
Please don't go down this route, I'm trying to report the happy stuff!
Although if I had a Cupra 290 on order I'd be very happy!
Hope you enjoy it Noel

2015 Leon ST FR 184 DSG