The autocar review

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
They deleted it from the 'First Drives coming soon' list yesterday. If they had published it today it would have appeared on their website before it was in the magazine, so nobody would need to buy the mag. I would imagine they missed the magazine deadline for some reason so have held the online review until the magazine is published. Just guessing though.:)

carlt69

Jan 6, 2006
They deleted it from the 'First Drives coming soon' list yesterday. If they had published it today it would have appeared on their website before it was in the magazine, so nobody would need to buy the mag. I would imagine they missed the magazine deadline for some reason so have held the online review until the magazine is published. Just guessing though.:)

You've got a point there, nevermind I can wait untill Wednesday I suppose :(

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
Autocar magazine is out now with a test of the fourteen top hot hatches. It's a good in depth feature with some great photos and is well worth looking at.

I haven't had a chance to read it properly yet and they only give a ranking for the top three which are Clio 197 third, Audi S3 second and Megane R26 first.

The Cupra made it through to the final seven but they criticise it for a lack of finesse and feel. They say it is not as exciting, involving or alive as the Golf GTI.

The other cars in the final seven were the Civic Type R and the Focus ST.

I guess the results will be on the Autocar website in the next few days.

Edit. I've just realised there is no Octavia VRS there and also no diesels which is probably sensible for a true hot hatch test.

Last edited:

Ol' Timer

Jun 20, 2004
Norfolk
So what is the final order of the 14? or even 7 for that matter? :)

As I said they haven't given ranking positions for all the top seven but as far as I can make out from the write up the results are:

Renault Megane R26 – 1st
Audi S3 – 2nd
Renault Clio 197 – 3rd
Ford Focus ST – 4th
VW Golf GTi – 5th
SEAT Leon Cupra – 6th (I think)
Honda Civic Type R – 7th (I think)
Vauxhall Astra VXR – 8th
Mazda 3 MPS – 9th
Mini Cooper S – 10th
Fiat Panda 100HP – 11th
VW Golf R32 – 12th
Ford Fiesta ST – 13th
Peugeot 207 GT – 14th

The full road test of the Cupra should be in next week's edition.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
My mates test driving the Megane R26 today, Price he has been offered it for is £16250 in any colour bar the Yellow thats a £1200 option.

Although Lloyds TSB cars are offering it foe £15800 on the road, nearly £4k off.

It seems to be liked at the moment and for that rpice seems a bloody bargain when you bear in mind even the cheapest oldest 225 sport is £10k

carlt69

Jan 6, 2006
The Cupra made it through to the final seven but they criticise it for a lack of finesse and feel. They say it is not as exciting said:
How can they say that when its the same car underneath?? I tell you money/advertising revenues don't have talk sometimes!!

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
interesting reading the S3 review 2 weeks back, where Autocar actually said that they suspect the Leon Cupra engine is the same reworked lump as the S3 but nobody would or could confirm. funny that, but would'nt be the first time.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.