The first image of the all-new CUPRA Leon

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
My god, you people really know how to complain about absolutely everything. If your kind had had a say about things in life, we'd still be hunting with a stick and eating around an open fire.
Thats the point. This is just the same fire and stick. No evolution, except for the Hybrid part. Still a 2.0 EA888 300bhp powered hatchback. I think people were expecting a lot more from the sub brand. So if anything it's the people who are happy with it are the ones who'd still be hunting with sticks. The people who are unhappy wanted more change.

Reactions: Wings988

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
Thats the point. This is just the same fire and stick. No evolution, except for the Hybrid part. Still a 2.0 EA888 300bhp powered hatchback. I think people were expecting a lot more from the sub brand. So if anything it's the people who are happy with it are the ones who'd still be hunting with sticks. The people who are unhappy wanted more change.

Did you expect a car that shares everything with VAG parts to have its own engine though? That engine is very tried an tested and rarely has horror stories.

I was expecting maybe 4x4 and the full 310bhp in the hatch though. But 300 is up from the last gen 290 (yes it was down from the previous previous 300). Be interesting to see how it now compares to the new Golf R on track due to the R being touted as gaining 328bhp..

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Did you expect a car that shares everything with VAG parts to have its own engine though? That engine is very tried an tested and rarely has horror stories.

I was expecting maybe 4x4 and the full 310bhp in the hatch though. But 300 is up from the last gen 290 (yes it was down from the previous previous 300). Be interesting to see how it now compares to the new Golf R on track due to the R being touted as gaining 328bhp..
I expected a lot more change hearing it shares only 40% with the MK4 Leon. Looks like it shares about 80% more like. I also expected the petrol to be higher than 300. Instead of the 245 2.0TSI and 300 2.0TSI I'd have thought it more likely a 280 and a 330. Instead we've got an entry model with less power than the MK3 260 entry model from 7 years ago!
I'm not talking about the hybrid 245 here I'm talking about the basic petrol version. I also expected 4x4 on the hatch and maybe something a little innovative like Renault tried with 4 wheel steering.
I had my hopes set a little too high I think. I genuinely thought VAG might have let this Cupra brand innovate a little more. It's a hot hatch, maybe pair the EA888 with an electric motor for some proper hot hatch power.
Articles stating prices will likely start at £32k for the 245 2.0tsi haven't helped my opinion. I know prices are just speculation at the moment but if the basic model starts at £32k I'm looking elsewhere for my next car.
May as well still have the Seat badge on it.

Last edited:

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
I don't think they are Alcantra in the Leon as they dropped the branded material. Generic branded micro suede I thought?
They changed the name but is same thing

my spec states alacantra bucket seats

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
Sorry but 290bhp-300bhp is ample enough for any front wheel drive car, I struggle to get traction now in my 300 when I boot it and the chances I get to use the full power are minimal unless you arrange a track day to rag it around for the day. If they made it 4wd I could understand more bhp and would be justified. The only chance I got to have a play it cost me 6 points and a hefty fine Mr policeman was not impressed me going past him in his unmarked Beamer.

Reactions: Brooster89

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Sorry but 290bhp-300bhp is ample enough for any front wheel drive car, I struggle to get traction now in my 300 when I boot it and the chances I get to use the full power are minimal unless you arrange a track day to rag it around for the day. If they made it 4wd I could understand more bhp and would be justified. The only chance I got to have a play it cost me 6 points and a hefty fine Mr policeman was not impressed me going past him in his unmarked Beamer.

Don’t agree I can put down over 280 brake and 295lbs of torque without an LSD and I’m in a mk1.

With 15 years further development these cars should be able to handle at least 325+ through the front wheels with ease. The new electric diffs are pretty good.
These cars need to evolve with each new incarnation, so a
“ power up” is always anticipated and welcome.
4 wheel drive would definitely help from launch though.
Unlucky on the 6 points.
As you say take it to the track.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
The new electric diffs are pretty good.

Agree, you still need to understand the characteristics of planting your foot in a DSG, but once you do and the LSD kicks in round a fast corner it feels like the car has been twisted from the rear..amazing thing!

Reactions: Sparkie and Syphon

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
Don’t agree I can put down over 280 brake and 295lbs of torque without an LSD and I’m in a mk1.

With 15 years further development these cars should be able to handle at least 325+ through the front wheels with ease. The new electric diffs are pretty good.
These cars need to evolve with each new incarnation, so a
“ power up” is always anticipated and welcome.
4 wheel drive would definitely help from launch though.
Unlucky on the 6 points.
As you say take it to the track.

Yes dry road conditions its ok but slightly damp or wet sorry you get the renown wheel hop, mine is a manual and a standard stock car so the DSG could be better I don't know and with a few mods no doubt could be better.
When the car as got past this stage yes its fantastic and the performance second to non and also will out do most Hot hatchbacks out there for half the price.
But Cupra now with its own brand I think they missed the trick of a 4wd hatchback and obviously still under the restrictions from VW what they can actually change.

Like I said before 300 BHP is ample enough for every day use and can still get you in serious trouble with the plods without even trying.

Reactions: Sparkie

EZ Cupra

Feb 20, 2020
Guess most will wait til the R comes out in a year or so and then they start putting out cheap deals

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
Lol. The point was you won't need to touch the controls. You can drive it without needing to touch the dials or screen.
Yes I fully understand that Lol but in my opinion they have gone to far for basic controls in the car you either have to talk to it or scroll through an iPad screen to change everyday basic requests. I know its the trendy thing at the moment and most other brands are going the same way until we start seeing the amount of accidents increase due to being distracted playing with an iPad rather than looking in front of you.

Reactions: Sparkie

CupraGeezer

May 11, 2018
I expected a lot more change hearing it shares only 40% with the MK4 Leon. Looks like it shares about 80% more like.
How reliable is that figure though (I've only seen it here) and how is it measured (by part count, by value, something else)? Is there any basis for expecting such a different car? The Cupra Ateca is pretty similar to the SEAT version.

I also expected the petrol to be higher than 300. Instead of the 245 2.0TSI and 300 2.0TSI I'd have thought it more likely a 280 and a 330. Instead we've got an entry model with less power than the MK3 260 entry model from 7 years ago!
I'm not talking about the hybrid 245 here I'm talking about the basic petrol version.
I think the 245 bhp model is intended to compete with the Golf GTI, which the Leon has never done. Nothing wrong with that in my book so long as the Leon is cheaper than the Golf.

I also expected 4x4 on the hatch and maybe something a little innovative like Renault tried with 4 wheel steering.
Most road testers seem to hate that system though and the non-trophy versions only have 280 PS so well below your expectations for the Leon. Also SEAT have innovated with the interior and are getting a right slating for it.

I had my hopes set a little too high I think. I genuinely thought VAG might have let this Cupra brand innovate a little more. It's a hot hatch, maybe pair the EA888 with an electric motor for some proper hot hatch power.
I think you're right about your expectations! 300 PS is competetive for the market unless you're looking at an AMG A45 but that's a £50k car.
I think Cupra's "innovation" budget will be allocated to their unique (rather than SEAT-based) cars that are coming in the future. Too much being attached to the change in the badge, I suspect.

Reactions: gof

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
They changed the name but is same thing

my spec states alacantra bucket seats
How reliable is that figure though (I've only seen it here) and how is it measured (by part count, by value, something else)? Is there any basis for expecting such a different car? The Cupra Ateca is pretty similar to the SEAT version.

I think the 245 bhp model is intended to compete with the Golf GTI, which the Leon has never done. Nothing wrong with that in my book so long as the Leon is cheaper than the Golf.

Most road testers seem to hate that system though and the non-trophy versions only have 280 PS so well below your expectations for the Leon. Also SEAT have innovated with the interior and are getting a right slating for it.

I think you're right about your expectations! 300 PS is competetive for the market unless you're looking at an AMG A45 but that's a £50k car.
I think Cupra's "innovation" budget will be allocated to their unique (rather than SEAT-based) cars that are coming in the future. Too much being attached to the change in the badge, I suspect.

Prices are expected from £32k upwards for the basic 245bhp petrol. Need I say more.
Interior is the only thing I've seen positive comments about, including my own.

Last edited:

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Yes I fully understand that Lol but in my opinion they have gone to far for basic controls in the car you either have to talk to it or scroll through an iPad screen to change everyday basic requests. I know its the trendy thing at the moment and most other brands are going the same way until we start seeing the amount of accidents increase due to being distracted playing with an iPad rather than looking in front of you.

I agree.
A car should be to drive.
You get 6 points for using a phone but in today’s cars you’re ok with texts coming in, scrolling with a” mouse” to find apps and functions instead of a simple switch.
Madness. Think they should all be banned.
The new Honda E thingy has a screen in front of the passenger that plays movies!! Like the driver can’t see it!?!
WT....

TimT

Jul 18, 2019
I think it looks wonderful, the new interior is a huge upgrade compared to old one. The old one was terribly outdated compared to what is available nowadays. The front on the new one looks great aswell, I do prefer the old one from the back in general but the eHybrids bronze exhausts look absolutely amazing. The estates boot looks a bit too stretched out but thats probably due to the fact they've changed the angle on the boot itself so it gets a bit of extra space.
In regards to people expecting more power / radical changes: you need to think of one thing, Seat (and Cupra) will always have to remain the budget brand in the VAG lineup (Cupra vs Golf R, S3) therefore expecting huge changes in the engine (going away from EA888) would heavilly reflect in the final price aswell, which then again would not be in line with what VAG wants to do with the group of cars. Adapting the 4-wheel platform from a Golf R hatch would drive away sales from the brand that earns them more money and (probably) profit, that's why it would make no sense to give that to the hatch.

red line fun

May 24, 2004
Scotland
I agree.
A car should be to drive.
You get 6 points for using a phone but in today’s cars you’re ok with texts coming in, scrolling with a” mouse” to find apps and functions instead of a simple switch.
Madness. Think they should all be banned.
The new Honda E thingy has a screen in front of the passenger that plays movies!! Like the driver can’t see it!?!
WT....

Very good point. Somehow, speaking on a mobile (held to your ear) is deemed too dangerous, and yet cars have essentially become mobile 'devices' with touch this, touch that, touch the other … and yet this is deemed okay/safe? Strange.

Reactions: hitchygolf1971

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
I think it looks wonderful, the new interior is a huge upgrade compared to old one. The old one was terribly outdated compared to what is available nowadays. The front on the new one looks great aswell, I do prefer the old one from the back in general but the eHybrids bronze exhausts look absolutely amazing. The estates boot looks a bit too stretched out but thats probably due to the fact they've changed the angle on the boot itself so it gets a bit of extra space.
In regards to people expecting more power / radical changes: you need to think of one thing, Seat (and Cupra) will always have to remain the budget brand in the VAG lineup (Cupra vs Golf R, S3) therefore expecting huge changes in the engine (going away from EA888) would heavilly reflect in the final price aswell, which then again would not be in line with what VAG wants to do with the group of cars. Adapting the 4-wheel platform from a Golf R hatch would drive away sales from the brand that earns them more money and (probably) profit, that's why it would make no sense to give that to the hatch.
TBH I don’t think the Golf R sales would be impacted by the Cupra hatchback being 4wd drive down to badge snobbery. End of the day the Seat is a better looking car than the golf but engine and interior are near on identical and apart from the odd hard plastic panels in the seat compared to the Golf there’s very little difference and despite this the golf sells more than the seat Leon even with the price difference

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise