The first image of the all-new CUPRA Leon

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Very good point. Somehow, speaking on a mobile (held to your ear) is deemed too dangerous, and yet cars have essentially become mobile 'devices' with touch this, touch that, touch the other … and yet this is deemed okay/safe? Strange.
It’s actually mental

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
Just to throw some light on this,there are different offences here

using a mobile communications device is an offence and was brought in specifically for phone use but there is always the offence of driving without due care and attention and also driving where the driver is not in a position to see the road etc

Basically if you crashed because you were messing around with controls or were seen to be driving poorly because of this other offences as above would apply

somewhere in the handbook there be a disclaimer from Seat saying don’t do it unless your in control etc etc

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Just to throw some light on this,there are different offences here

using a mobile communications device is an offence and was brought in specifically for phone use but there is always the offence of driving without due care and attention and also driving where the driver is not in a position to see the road etc

Basically if you crashed because you were messing around with controls or were seen to be driving poorly because of this other offences as above would apply

somewhere in the handbook there be a disclaimer from Seat saying don’t do it unless your in control etc etc

Think we get that.
Thing that’s off is that one can muck about with a touch screen on the car, have texts pop up etc and “No Foul”.
Touch a phone in a holder to change satnav settings and it’s 6 points.
Takes the same level of concentration to change into Cupra mode or individual settings etc as it does to hit the home button on a phone and then use voice control.
If it’s to do with concentration levels being disrupted then hands free should also be banned.
It’s a double standards thing that I’ve never got my head around.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Reactions: hitchygolf1971

Betts-4

Jul 11, 2019
Think we get that.
Thing that’s off is that one can muck about with a touch screen on the car, have texts pop up etc and “No Foul”.
Touch a phone in a holder to change satnav settings and it’s 6 points.
Takes the same level of concentration to change into Cupra mode or individual settings etc as it does to hit the home button on a phone and then use voice control.
If it’s to do with concentration levels being disrupted then hands free should also be banned.
It’s a double standards thing that I’ve never got my head around.

That’s what I am saying though you can’t do those things it’s all considered one of a few offences

if your phone is in a holder you can touch it,the offence and case law proves you have to be holding a mobile phone.

If your not holding it and your distracted the other offences apply just as if it was sat nav/radio/climate control

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
That’s what I am saying though you can’t do those things it’s all considered one of a few offences

if your phone is in a holder you can touch it,the offence and case law proves you have to be holding a mobile phone.

If your not holding it and your distracted the other offences apply just as if it was sat nav/radio/climate control

Thing is no one is taken to task if it’s built in to the car.
I understand that you’re meant to be parked to change all the settings in car but,
How many vids on YouTube show people driving and fiddling with the infotainment.
“Ooh it’s got this function and that”.
They aren’t concentrating on their driving.
I don’t get it.
The nov 19 review on mobile use is trying to out all mobile use period. I don’t see a difference.

Reactions: hitchygolf1971

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
Thing is no one is taken to task if it’s built in to the car.
I understand that you’re meant to be parked to change all the settings in car but,
How many vids on YouTube show people driving and fiddling with the infotainment.
“Ooh it’s got this function and that”.
They aren’t concentrating on their driving.
I don’t get it.
The nov 19 review on mobile use is trying to out all mobile use period. I don’t see a difference.

TBH it’s not the answering of the phone or changing your radio station is the problem there all accessible by the buttons on your steering wheel if you have your phone connected by Bluetooth. It’s the fact now just to change the temperature in your car you have to mess about with the iPad on a dash. I did own a car where if you needed to alter the sat nav you had to be stationary or it wouldn’t allow you and the screen was frozen. They gone to far now with the basic controls on the car reliant on the iPad on a dash not sure but I think you have even use it for a basic function of rear de mist

Reactions: Sparkie

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
TBH it’s not the answering of the phone or changing your radio station is the problem there all accessible by the buttons on your steering wheel if you have your phone connected by Bluetooth. It’s the fact now just to change the temperature in your car you have to mess about with the iPad on a dash. I did own a car where if you needed to alter the sat nav you had to be stationary or it wouldn’t allow you and the screen was frozen. They gone to far now with the basic controls on the car reliant on the iPad on a dash not sure but I think you have even use it for a basic function of rear de mist
The mk3 leon has both

the actual dials and the screen on the infotainment to alter.

i for one can honestly say i have NEVER adjusted the heating from the screen, manual controls every time. Controlling heating from a screen is a nonsense

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
TBH I don’t think the Golf R sales would be impacted by the Cupra hatchback being 4wd drive down to badge snobbery. End of the day the Seat is a better looking car than the golf but engine and interior are near on identical and apart from the odd hard plastic panels in the seat compared to the Golf there’s very little difference and despite this the golf sells more than the seat Leon even with the price difference
I'd agree with you that the golf sells more, if not for the fact that after the mk3 Leon came out, I have seen a sharp increase in the number of leons i see on the roads. Before 2012 I didn't know what a leon was, and i rarely saw Mk2's. After being a member of this forum, i ocaisionally catch Mk1's about the place but only because i am now looking for them.

Golf's have historically been a "cheap" reliable car. which is why my Grandparents have been buying golfs for generations, but after the emissions scandal, they moved away from the golf.

I also used to have a golf, i mean girlfriened who owned a golf, and whilst it was nice to drive, it wasnt as nice to drive as my leon, and she agreed. But her reason to stick with the golf was "its still not a golf though is it". Badge snobbery sells cars, and I'd wager that the leon is a relatively "new" car in mainstream cars. When i was at school the people whos paretns could afford to buy their kids a nice car chose from Golf, Fabia, Fiat 500, Clio, or a polo, some had a fiesta or a KA, but not one had a leon or an ibiza.

The ibiza seems to have become more popular now after its most recent design change to make it more "bling". Id say that in the last 3 years, Seat cars now sit on par with VW in terms of popularity. Sales figures obviously say otherwise, but in terms of seeing them on the roads, theres far more seats about now than there was 4 years ago.

EDIT: if anything, back when i bought my second car in 2012, Skoda was more popular than Seat.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.