the fr is dead - water ingestion

malky39

Mar 12, 2008
Southside
well tonight i tried to go through some water and it was deeper than i thought and now the fr is dead electrics all work but nothing from the engine, had to get transported home.
Anyone any ideas of best.worst case scenarios

Black TDI Turbo

Shussssh Its A Diesel ...
Oct 2, 2005
North East
flooded engine, hydrolocked and bent con-rods, engine fooked........

when you say nothing tho u mean no crank of trys to crank slowly or what... need more info but....

try turning engine over by hand using a ratchet to see if it has hydrolocked, if it has then

remove glow plugs
take off intake pipes and intercooler pipes
crank engine over to get water out
put glow plugs back in without refitting the intercooler pipes
crank engine and see if it starts

if it starts, clean out all intercooler pipes, intercooler etc... refit and try

i only say this as we had a ford galaxy in at work not so long ago, with the 1.9 tdi 150pd engine fitted and had the same happen, customer had drove through a flood and engine would not crank, (due to water in cylinders and you cannot compress water), did the above and tried it, never been back since, all we fitted to it was a new air filter :) hopefully your as lucky :)

malky39

Mar 12, 2008
Southside
Yeh there is no crank, not to technically minded so think i will leave it to a garage to have a look,its a 1.9tdi so hopeing its hydrolocked and not worse

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yeh there is no crank, not to technically minded so think i will leave it to a garage to have a look,its a 1.9tdi so hopeing its hydrolocked and not worse

Like he said, no more trying to start it, and that includes tow-starting - and make sure no one else tries to either - and that includes any garage you get to pick it up!

Black TDI Turbo

Shussssh Its A Diesel ...
Oct 2, 2005
North East
were you driving slow then it just cut out and wouldnt restart or were you rally styling it through the water hoping to skip across the top of it, lol thats worse case though mate, could have got water in starter and popped main fuse hence the no crank...

Torquemonster

Nov 20, 2007
:drive2: Roads were shocking on the drive home from work tonight.I know both East and West Central Scotland got hammered.I almost lost it on the way back from work.Round a bend,in the dark and there was a small river crossing the road.Aquaplaned for a few seconds with an HGV coming the other way.Change of underwear moment.:redface:

woza135

BEEZA OF LUST
Mar 16, 2008
Crawley W-Sussex
if water has gone through the engine its pretty much new engine for a diesel unfortunately, because water doesnt compress. Hopefully that hasnt happened but good luck mate maybe some electrics just playing up

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
We do these all the time at work when people in BMW think they have boats. its always a new complete engine, turbo, intercooler, air filter. The bmw engines come with all injectors etc but i dont know if SEATs do if not they will be needed to. normally our customers put an insurance claim in to save them selves the huge bill

malky39

Mar 12, 2008
Southside
nup they will be lost only one year but still makes a difference, am just raging at myself but i guess i will learn from my mistake,hate to say it but in a way i wish they would write it off

woza135

BEEZA OF LUST
Mar 16, 2008
Crawley W-Sussex
We do these all the time at work when people in BMW think they have boats. its always a new complete engine, turbo, intercooler, air filter. The bmw engines come with all injectors etc but i dont know if SEATs do if not they will be needed to. normally our customers put an insurance claim in to save them selves the huge bill

that is exactly what happens at our place they think because they have a beemer they are invincible!

Insurance is they way forward thats what its their for

malky39

Mar 12, 2008
Southside
just thought i would up date, news is it needs a new engine and a cost of 5k without labour just waiting now to see if the insurance co. are going to pay for it to be fixed or write it off

malky39

Mar 12, 2008
Southside
Since when did a new engine cost £5,000?

Since your insurance company tell you to go to a main dealer as there approved repairer, dont ask me just what the guy said to me when i called up to see what was happening, though it sounded a bit steep but who knows what else they have added on to bump the cost up

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members