thinking out loud, opinions please!

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
today i was thinking about getting a FMIC for my LCR and then i had a thought (maybe a stupid one) i know the twin side mounted coolers are fed with air from the foglight grilles but then where does the air go after that? i've looked in the wheel arches and then thats when i had an idea. if i was to make some holes (or one big hole, then mesh it) in the wheel arch liner behind the intercoolers would that possibly make them more efficient? i can't see where the air goes to after it has passed through the coolers at the moment so would giving it somewhere to go promote better airflow?

any thoughts on this then let me know whether or not i'm a genius or just a dumbass!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
not a genius or a dumbass - sorry - but you are shooting the right fish barrel

as per the audi tt which has a vented wing liners to let the air out again

if i remember a while back there was a few threads where some people cut the tt vent out and riveted it in to the seat's with a big hole under it to let the air escape

try the search as its been a while and most have gone on to the FMIC as fave now

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
I've done this but impossible to say whether it brings any gains or not (you are not going to see anything on a RR by having it). In my view I can't see why the TT and S3 have them if it does not serve some purpose.

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
i going to go for it in the new year methinks, i'll probably cut a large hole and mesh it rather than slits or putting in audi vents. obviously i'll either buy black mesh or spray the stainless stuff you get from halfords. if everything goes to plan then the intercoolers will be working overtime by the end of january so any help they get must be a bonus!

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
linky no worky! i think i'd probably make a neater job of it if i was to use mesh as i wouldn't have a massive vent and pop rivets on show.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
The arch liners do have a way out for the air, just no slatted vent as such, so IMHO the arch liner mod isn't worth it.

If you look, there's a "big hole" on the insode of each arch liner.

You taken you foglights out yet?

awelch

. . . . .
Mar 1, 2006
I look my fogs off and although it doesn't make any huge instant difference, the car performs far more consistantly. ie heat soak seems to affect it less! On longer journeys the car performs better for longer.

I now see no point in ever putting them back on

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise