Those days when nothing goes right...

:headhurt:So we all have them... But today was a pain...

I started out with good intentions, to change my starter motor, after taking the battery (and all the fuse stuff attached to the top) out, I then moved the power steering bottle off it's bracket and (worried) if the pipe would come off if I pushed it too far away! It didn't thankfully - took off elbow with MAF.

Anyway, got to a point where I couldn't get to what I needed, and realised, stop before I break something.

Anyway, so I changed my lower coolant bottle pipe whilst I had all that stuff out, still a pain to get to, but changed it - only success of the day!

I then thought i'd replace the top radiator hose and the part that comes of the S shape plastic bracket... 30mm hose at the ready, failure... Too straight the hose... Managed to get one part done (the radiator connection) but now im concerned its gonna come off! I should really change for flexi stuff.

Going with the above, coolant flew out as expected, and when I went to refill , I used 1.5 litres of water, then the rest G12 coolant, but it didnt seem like much was needed.

So NOW im worried ive used too much water and not enough coolant! Even though I obviously havent emptied the whole system as those pipes don't carry all the coolant i'd assume the radiator still holds a fair amount.

Then I attempted to fit my inlet manifold 45 degree elbow - alloy pipe - 90 degree elbow hosing... Got the bottom part down, couldn't get the top to fit to the inlet without it stretching/bending, so cut down, cut down, guess what - messed up and cut too much, so put old pipe back.

Put everything back together, but now worried as the coolant hose - radiator plastic part seems to sit right against the power steering bottle - tight against it maybe it's meant to be like that but im having one of those days... It does get hot so not sure it's good for the power steering bottle.

So then, take it out for a drive... TCS light...! Fault light...!

18010 - Power Supply Terminal 30: Voltage too Low
P1602 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
16486 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70): Signal too Low
P0102 - 35-00 - -

The MAF's had it!? I couldn't believe it, I only took it off it's pipe, I never even disconnected it! Total joke!

Anyway i've cleared the codes and i'll see if it comes back, it might have just been fussy but no doubt i'll have to change it soon.

Edit - the errors have come back, not sure if the power supply terminal 30 one has, as I haven't had my friend with Vag com to look yet.

Amidst all this, the coolant went everywhere over the engine bay! As I didn't have a cannister in place when draining the pipes :( So probably messed some electrical connector up causing the above... Wonder if it will dry out?

So... How's your day been!? :think:

Last edited:

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
lol changed the shock absorbers to find out the rear n/s camber is out so its been pranged in it past.:censored: I mean this in the nicest way but maybe you shouldn't be fiddling with things like that? Plus the starter is easy to change from under the car:confused:

Lol no offence taken. To be fair im usually alright to a point but i cant jack my car up round here as no flat drive and no spaces on road :( hence why i was trying to get to it from the top. Ah well nothing ventured nothing gained lol

shantybeater

loving the whoosh
Sep 28, 2007
Bournemouth & Brighton
lol sounds like a bad day, my worst effort was when I bought a polished rocker cover, took me 6 hours to fit it because of things in the way...after all that it pissed out oil everywhere so i just dropped it to the garage in the end

that was one truly gay day:lol:

18010 - Power Supply Terminal 30: Voltage too Low
P1602 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

Turns out the above is just because I had the battery disconnected for a while - cleared it, it never came back.

MAF one still there though oh well, funny thing is, car drives exactly the same with the maf faulty, as it does when the MAF was working lol, so it was probably borked for a while.

Oil everywhere! That doesnt sound good! Especially with the polished rocker!

Ah well, at least its sunny!!!

Riko

MURDER WAGON
Jun 10, 2007
Milton Keynes
Check the angle the MAF sensor is sitting at. When I put mine back after removing it, it threw the fault up, but angled it more towards the coolant bottle (from an upright position) and it went! There was a thread on here a couple of weeks back about it i think?

Check the angle the MAF sensor is sitting at. When I put mine back after removing it, it threw the fault up, but angled it more towards the coolant bottle (from an upright position) and it went! There was a thread on here a couple of weeks back about it i think?

You are a diamond fella! In all my wisdom i'd put the MAF on the wrong way round yesterday.

Oddly enough, in terms of the connector, it was the right way round, but when I had a look at pictures of my engine bay, i'd notice the 'triangle shaped' part of the MAF is closest to the air filter, not the TIP.

Code cleared, drove fine, no more code! Hurrah... Thanks again mate - much appreciated as I doubt i'd have worked it out in time (before getting another MAF!).

Strange one though I must admit... it looked like it would be the right way round as it was before... But oh well! always the way!

So not such a bad day really, although the pipework thing is a bummer, maybe a sign to forget just changing the boost pipe and inlet manifold pipework, and to just buy a FMIC with the kit and do the whole thing at once!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.