Tips for a potential new owner!

NeilC1980

Hi all,

Ive been looking at a 55 reg Leon FR TDI today and was wondering if you could give me a few pointers.

Are these cars reliable and do they suffer from any common faults. The car is priced at 8995 from the most reputable dealer in my county and had fsh and 12 months warranty.

Im the not very proud owner of a mk 4 vw golf which had the dreaded gearbox explosion at 70k and dont really want to go through it again.

My other option is a 07 Mondeo ST tdci with 30k on clock for the same price.

Thanks

Neil

im not sure but i think its the same gearbox lump as its still a VAG car (Volkswagen Audi Group) however i have never seen a post of this nature on here since my time here or heard of it happening, TDI leons are good cars feel more like the a3 tdi than the golf, Good cars, just look for regular oil changes and good turbo health.

Clutches can be abused due to torque but pretty touch flywheels can go on high mileage too but depends how its been driven

A clutch driven by a girl is more likely to fail than one by a man FACT (Weve all seen them creeping holding it at the lights on a hill)

Last edited:

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
I'd say don't let your Golf experience put you off, all cars have problems and that just sounds like it could have happened to anyone in any car.

I reckon the Mondeo will depreciate faster.

Plans for kids in the near future then the extra size in the Mondeo will be better, but if not it's extra weight to carry around corners.

Go drive both and see. Might not like the interior of one or whatever.

Marktdi180

Mon the diesel
Mar 8, 2010
Livingston
I bought an 05 TDI FR and its brilliant! coolant warning light does come on from time to time but alot of people have bother with it, nothing wrong just faulty sensors or a bit of dirt on prongs.

I was looking at the same ST but decided against it as the weight of the car does affect performance and fuel consumption, altho you get all the kit inside it!

Back leg room in leon isn't good depending how tall you are so if you need space for other people all the time the ST might be better,

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.