To Diesel, or Not To Diesel?

bluebeard

May 8, 2016
Hello All

The good lady wife has her heart set on an Alhambra. It needs to be an auto/DSG, and nearly new. The obvious choice from an economy and usability perspective would be to get a diesel, but I’m worried about potential DPF issues as we don’t tend to do much in the way of frequent, sustained runs.

We live in a village the Home Counties, a stone’s through from London. Most journeys are 20-30 mins, typically on reasonably clear local roads going to and from and around the local towns and villages. I reckon these are done at an average of 25-40 mph, with the occasional dual carriageway blast of 5-10 mins max (and what I mean by this is uninterrupted ie not having to slow down to cross roundabouts etc). Would this be enough to prevent DPF issues?

I’ve seen a single lone DSG 1.4 TSI advertised, it might get us round the DPF issue but I’m worried that the size/weight of the car would make this a poor match in terms of torque and economy.

All thoughts welcomed!

Fmxvxx

Dec 21, 2014
Stay away from the 1.4 tsi No get up and go engine is great in an ibiza but with all that weight and lack of other petrol choices it has to be a diesel.

As for DPF issues I think you should be ok but with the journeys you do there not to short and not stop start traffic which help to purn the soot passively without the need to Regen.

Gerico1000

Sep 7, 2014
Since 2011 the diesels have used adblue. No dpf issues. Some have had issues with adblue but personally I haven't (tempting fate now).

2.0TDI DSG 2014 SE Lux and just over 30,000 miles having done two adblue fills.

chippy436

Apr 25, 2016
i was thinking the same as i only do short journeys during the week but at the weekend we head off out and rack the miles up then.
i found the 1.4 to be ok but not powerful enough for this heavy car.
I ended up getting a nearly new 2.0 tdi 184ps. Currently has 4800 miles on it but i am not that happy with the mpg, getting if lucky 30 mpg around town.
Hopefully will keep this for the next 5 to 6 years and move on to a hybrid or what ever is out there then.
Its a great car and the space is amazing just the mpg is low, will give it time to settle in.
VW are introducing a 1.5 petrol engine at the end of the year.

Gerico1000

Sep 7, 2014
184ps dsg, nice. Considered chopping in my 177 for one but waiting a little while. Occasionally I look at MPG on the trip computer thingy and I've had 50+ on a long run and 30's at other times. I hardly look as I didn't buy it for it's fuel economy. Love the space and comfort, like the power that it does have for such a large vehicle. Can't have everything, give me power over mpg any day before it all get banned!?!?!

chippy436

Apr 25, 2016
I like both unfortunately power and mpg. Struggled to get 26 mpg this morning. Its only done 4800 miles so still needs running in, hopefully it will get better. Looking forward to the German Autobahns when i head over later this month and see how she performs then.

Offski..

Sep 23, 2016
Scotland
Late to this party, but i recently got a new Alhambra S 2.0tdi 150ps /DSG.
It is giving really good MPG better than EU Test / Official figures which are from testing inside in temperature controlled buildings and are really 'implausible results'.

The reason that 50+ & even a 60+ average seems to be achievable in real life on roads is the 'Coasting Function',
Then the no roof rails, narrower tyres and generally the 150ps being very efficient for UK (Scotland) roads and many Average & Fixed Speed Cameras on the main Trunk Routes.

Looking forward to many miles of cheep motoring.
Oddly the Ad-Blue range started at 7,000 miles and 1,200 miles later still shows as 7,000 mile range.
george

Offski..

Sep 23, 2016
Scotland
Fully delighted with my Alhambra S.
Done another 5,000 miles since my last post.
The Ad-blue is showing 2,000 miles range after 6,200 miles, and now with longer trips mainly at motorway speeds but not always on motorways i get 10 miles to the litre of diesel.
So around 650 miles between brim to brim and it is showing 50-60 mile range when i fill up.
65 litres brims it. Just over 14 gallons. (45 mpg ish average achieved for that 14 gallons.)

Not the EU test 'Urban MPG' even, but then i am not driving on a Rolling road in a temperature controlled building
with the tyre pressures unsafely high and diesel in the engine oil, and i weigh twice the weight of a 'Test Driver'.

If i am doing a trip i sometimes do where i brim it after 145 miles the fuel gauge and MFD dont register it until a stop or 2 later.

Happy with the economy and performance of a heavy vehicle.
(having no roof rails and 16" tyres were a good move for me as far as i am concerned.)

The Alhambra S cloth material is just terrible, so easily marked and about as absorbent as any material known to man.
So i have Heavy Duty Water Proof covers on the front seats and the rear seat are always away as i use the rear as a van.

george

Offski..

Sep 23, 2016
Scotland
Ye that is what Euro 6 Emissions does for engines when VW are no longer getting away with Defeat Devices and Dirty Diesels.
I get into the 60's MPG on a cruise and high 50's is easy but then cruising gets boring and just getting a move on has the average from a tank in the 40's.
Occasional cold starts and a few miles without hot oil drinks diesel at the rate of about 20mpg.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.