to strip or not to strip!?

captin_urbis

Not a Member
Dec 2, 2008
Lancashire
to strip the car to gain performance would really be a waste of time i think, unless your planing on taking the car racing, or if it is just to leave cars dead on the line lol.

when you say strip do you mean EVERYTHING like door cards, windows to be perspex no back bench radio, speakers etc??

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
I have done EVERYTHING, even removed all the sound deadening...... and now fitting carbon fibre door cards (I gonna have some bling in there) be honest if you wanna use it for track then go for it but everyday use and that just remove your spare wheel if you really wanna feel you doing something! lol.

When you start stripping the car it isn't an ideal everyday car then! I have even brought a run around because of that reason!

Feb 17, 2008
huntingdon
i have ran both my previous ibiza 8v and now my current 16v with no spare wheel (space savers are not very pleasant, I use a can of tyre weld) and no back seats/plastics. does feel a fair bit nippier, especially on corners and braking! more so on the 16v cos it doesn't have as much torque as my 8v did. although the 8v wasn't too loud, for some reason my valver has a lot more road noise and the exhaust is a lot raspier/louder too.

gticupra123

Dec 21, 2008
berkshire
i have ran both my previous ibiza 8v and now my current 16v with no spare wheel (space savers are not very pleasant, I use a can of tyre weld) and no back seats/plastics. does feel a fair bit nippier, especially on corners and braking! more so on the 16v cos it doesn't have as much torque as my 8v did. although the 8v wasn't too loud, for some reason my valver has a lot more road noise and the exhaust is a lot raspier/louder too.

i think il just remove the spare wheel then lol, what was the best mod in terms of performance did you do to the 8v? am thinking about cams but they dont come cheap!

Feb 17, 2008
huntingdon
with the 8v a good mod is to fit a camshaft from a mk2 golf gti (pb engine with digifant) for an easy 10bhp (approx) due to it having a slightly higher lift and longer duration. a power rohr (3" alloy/steel intake pipe) to replace the plastic one helps a bit too

Feb 17, 2008
huntingdon
another thing that I forgot to mention, I noticed that whilst running the car with no spare, no rear seats ect, as there was around 20-25kg lost from the back axle, I was able to drop the pressure in the rear tyres by around 4psi and this seemed to give greater rear end grip.

Ben16v

Jan 8, 2007
Glastonbury
www.gmvw.co.uk
8v with more torque than a valver..............we won't go into that!! :lol:

Stripping it out can improve it, if its an everyday car then stick with it complete (seats, doorcards etc).

I have mine stripped out and to be honest, as an all round car i would have a full interior back again.

Worst comes to the worst, take the rear seats, parcel shelf and any stereo out before a track day. Then put it back in.

Best of both worlds then.

gticupra123

Dec 21, 2008
berkshire
with the 8v a good mod is to fit a camshaft from a mk2 golf gti (pb engine with digifant) for an easy 10bhp (approx) due to it having a slightly higher lift and longer duration. a power rohr (3" alloy/steel intake pipe) to replace the plastic one helps a bit too

you have one for sale dont you? how much would a garage charge to fit do you reckon?

if it was a proper high light cam like piper etc that would be about 15bhp wouldnt it? not really worth spendin the extra.

do you know anywhere that does a decat pipe? or a stainless mid section?

sorry for all the questions lol

Feb 17, 2008
huntingdon
yes I do, it was fitted for about 5k miles and then removed when I sold my car. a mate cleaned it up in a parts washer and it's currently coated in protective duck oil and wrapped up so it stays clean.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members