Top 3 Tyres - i need a 3rd choice.

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
My dad has a customer who is in the tyre business and is going out that way tomorrow so I'm looking him to see what prices he can get on a few sets of tyres just so I know what to expect when changing mine.

Currently I am telling him to have the guy price a set of

1. VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA - 225/40R18

2. GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC - 225/40R18

I want a 3rd option just to compare prices and then I will decide on what I want.

So who can give me a tyre that ticks most if not all the right boxes which would be sensible money? I'm looking for good performance in the wet (and dry obviously) but durability has to be good too, don't want ridiculous grip and change them 2weeks later!

getting balanced & fitted quotes then i will check to see if it is worth my while buying online and having them balanced and fitted locally.

Cheers.

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Wierdly a bit left field but my tyre man accidently fitted goodyear efficient grips and they've not done to bad and they are high milage tyres aswell and are about the same price as the f1 assys but a tad less grip and are more, errrr efficient funnelly enough. I had the Vreds on before hand and tbh there isnt much difference. Im willing to bet there better than the toyo T1rs aswell.

VADER182

Work car has them Goodyear Efficient Grips....fitted after the F1 GSD3's went, and the handling is worse than the GSD3's...really dont rate the efficient grips.........I will be putting Toyo Proxes T1-R's on my on car next.......they are brilliant in the dry and very good in the wet, much better than the old F1's.

I had T1-R's on my old Clio 182, and they were better than any of the other tyres I tried on it.....I would recommend them as your 3rd choice.

Jonny95 SXE

The Irish Contender
Nov 23, 2004
grip levels are as good as the f1's imo but last longer (i get about 4k miles :( )

and they have a monster rim guard but wet is good not great

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
Work car has them Goodyear Efficient Grips....fitted after the F1 GSD3's went, and the handling is worse than the GSD3's...really dont rate the efficient grips.........I will be putting Toyo Proxes T1-R's on my on car next.......they are brilliant in the dry and very good in the wet, much better than the old F1's.

I had T1-R's on my old Clio 182, and they were better than any of the other tyres I tried on it.....I would recommend them as your 3rd choice.

Only noticed this post now, sorry.

I might throw them in as a forth option just to see, only take a few secs to get a price im sure and then i will know...

vRSy

Fabia vRS
Jan 8, 2009
London
i had toyo t1rs on mine and they were absolute shIte. they were dangerous i found for the first few hundred miles before scubbing in. car understeered like crazy, it was like driving on ice skates. So bad that i thought something hadnt been done up when i had the tracking done at the same time and took it back to the garage for recheking.

once scrubbed in they were good, but thats it. id rate them as good as the michelin exaltos i had on my car from stock.

i used to frequent the nurburgring on weekends alot when i lived in moenchongladbach in germany(joys of being paid to work in germany), and on a hot dat(30 degreesish) managed to over heat the tyres, and had absolutely no grip on them, until i let them cool down.

then had vredesteins fitted the morning before another day trip to the ring, so the scrubbing in period was the 92 mile journey to the ring and then about 10 laps of the ring. Even on that first lap the vreds out perfomed the toyos by a long shot. not bad considering i paid 30 pound less a corner.

KzJF

Full Member on Wednesdays
Aug 7, 2009
Anybody tried Bridgestone's?
I'm aiming at Bridgestone 205/55 R16 for my 16" ..