Toyo T1R's - any good?

orangesprout

Cheeky !!
Apr 10, 2003
Dodge City, North East
Visit site
the bad weather has led me to think about new rubber.

Don't know if anyone elase has same problem - inner edges of both front tyres run off very quickly. which i'm blaming the fact it's too easy to spin wheels when turning corners or exiting roundabouts. (when weight is over to one side and inner edge is only contact point)

Had toyo T1S's which were good, but dis-continued.

T1R's any good?

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
im running these on my 17s , very good grip dry and wet , theyre meant to last longer as well, sadly theyre still pretty loud ,

oh n to stop that wheelspin,,,,, quaife quaife quaife

Last edited:

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
yea used to , i swap my tyres around on the front axles every couple of months now , theyre directional tyres so u have to turn them on the alloys as well if that makes sense , yep, tracking checked regulary as well

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
cheap and good tyres,,,
still too few time with them on and too few tyre sets to compare,,,

but they ain't as good as the good series by michelin or bridgestone,,, I know engineers who work with tyres and they know their stuff and told me so,,,

Jan 29, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
Ive just about killed my first set of R's and theve lasted over 25k... and 3 track days..
they are MUCH better than the old t1-s they replace.

as mentioned tho, you get what you pay for... Pirelli P-zero Neros are better, but are a extra £20 a corner and dont last half as long

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
sounds about right , i think i got mine in september/october , 150 fitted for a pair , was surprised also (local toyo dealer)

Jan 29, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
How about Kumho KU31?

im told that they are very good... 95% as good as pzeros in the dry and pretty competent in the wet too...
best part is they are cheep! (£44 a corner)

im getting some to replace my t1-R because there seems to be a stock shortage of the toyos and ive watched the price go up by £12 a corner in 2 weeks!

will let everyone know how they get on

basstard

Dropping Cogs is Useless
Aug 24, 2002
Roma, Italia
Visit site
wanted to know cos the price seemed way high compared to mine,,, but mine are way thinner: 195/50/15 V,,, and uk is renowed for being kinda expensive compared to the rest of europe,,,

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
orangesprout said:
Don't know if anyone elase has same problem - inner edges of both front tyres run off very quickly.
Yep, quite a few Mk4 owners have had this problem, myself included - my first pair wore down so bad there were holes in the rubber on the inside edges, while the rest of the tread was only half worn :(

Never did it again after getting the geometry setup correctly (by which I don't mean your average Kwik-Fit type tyre place).

orangesprout

Cheeky !!
Apr 10, 2003
Dodge City, North East
Visit site
muddyboots said:
Yep, quite a few Mk4 owners have had this problem, myself included - my first pair wore down so bad there were holes in the rubber on the inside edges, while the rest of the tread was only half worn :(

Never did it again after getting the geometry setup correctly (by which I don't mean your average Kwik-Fit type tyre place).

think i'll get it checked out before getting tyres. tyres wear evenly otherwise. its too easy to spin passenger wheel when turning.

orangesprout

Cheeky !!
Apr 10, 2003
Dodge City, North East
Visit site
basstard said:
wanted to know cos the price seemed way high compared to mine,,, but mine are way thinner: 195/50/15 V,,, and uk is renowed for being kinda expensive compared to the rest of europe,,,

the Toyo T1S 195/50/15 i had on my mk3 sport were about £40 a corner from same place

16's and 17's are just pricey either way

16v-cuprasport

Apr 27, 2005
Devon
orangesprout said:
the bad weather has led me to think about new rubber.

Don't know if anyone elase has same problem - inner edges of both front tyres run off very quickly. which i'm blaming the fact it's too easy to spin wheels when turning corners or exiting roundabouts. (when weight is over to one side and inner edge is only contact point)

Had toyo T1S's which were good, but dis-continued.

T1R's any good?

i got them all round on my mk2 cuprasport 195/45/16..really good tyre,dry and wet

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members