Trim removal - tools and guides

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
So I need to take off a few panels and more often than not I end up breaking a few clips. Now door card clips I know I just need to buy a box of mk4 golf clips to replace them but what about the metal tongue style clips?

I bought a set of trim removal tools from eBay but they just bend when I try to use them so my question is:

What are the best type of tools to buy?
What technique or guides are there?
And what replacements should I have a stock of?
68fe00d66c000864cd05fd2f97ce2123.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I use a variety of metal ones for the trim clips around the car and have a set if Bojo plastic trim tools for removing any delicate interior pieces.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
I use a variety of metal ones for the trim clips around the car and have a set if Bojo plastic trim tools for removing any delicate interior pieces.

A set like this or are there any specific ones that work well for the Leon set up?

Also any tips on which metal ones as want to get a few in ready.

f7df54808e6584df4639fa384e720091.jpg

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
As thai said i aslo don't worry about plastic ones for the door cards. Unless you are super OCD and as long as you are careful, metal tools will make such minimal damage, it's practically un-noticable. If you do want to get some plastic ones then those ones look ok. I have tried using the type you get for opening mobile phones, and they are next to useless. They break/bend way before reaching the leverage required in my experience. I've also never broken a single clip doing various leon doors either, but always pays to have spare I guess.

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
Was said above the door cards come off easy enough without special tools. Done it lots of times with just a couple of screwdrivers. Put a screwdriver behind the silver pull handle and any marks would be hidden.

There should be details on here, any door seal guide is likely to have them. Or look on YouTube for Leon or Toledo guides.

As for the clips, yes they are MK4 Golf ones and cheap enough to buy. But I've only broken a couple in the 13 years I've been removing the same door cards to fix stuff.

It depends how far you're stripping the door. If you need to remove the inner metal skin and if the seals have been 'fixed' on them. Then some very strong plastic or metal trim tools would be useful. I found this out replacing a door lock after I'd used butyl tape to seal the door.

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
The metal trim clips you need are the 22mm ones - at least for the boot ones. I've not found anywhere on the car that needed the shorter ones.

Only thing I have found is that two of the trim clips on opposite sides of the boot lid actually have a recess cut into them so they slide into their slot in the opposite direction from usual, so be prepared for that.

Apologies if I'm not answering the question that's been asked - couple of gins...

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
These thin angled trim removal tools are great for popping out the metal clips from bodywork panels as they slot perfectly around each wing of the clip and the angled head allows some nice easy leverage.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/223888193952

That’s the type of tool I was looking for, had thoughts of a scissor type one but will get some of these options ordered. Main reason is these cars are getting old and non broken parts are starting to get hard to find.

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I've never felt the need for the scissor / spreader type tools.
I think they're mostly for removing door cards and in all honesty they're not needed on a mk1 Leon because once you've popped off the bits of trim etc and undone the screws you can yank them off easily anyway.

Reactions: Scotty_b

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
The trickiest ones for a newbie to remove without damage are the C-pillars and inner main boot trim but they get easier with practice and ive done a lot now!

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
Funny you should say that as it’s that bloody inner boot trim that sparked this search off!

Funny i did this just the other day to change my light, i was SUPER careful and still broke so many clips lol.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.