Tuning the Alhambra 115PD

Gwaredd

Hi all.

Just bought a 2003 SE 115PD for our forthcoming 3rd child. Have to say, even coming from a BMW 530D, I'm pretty impressed with it, but it does need a bit more shove. I'm a great believer in underpowered vehicles are less fuel efficient than higher output equivalent models (see 130PD for example) so am looking at getting it re-mapped.

I've tried the search function, but to no avail, & the TDi tuning section is a right old muddle! So, have any of you guys re-mapped your Alhambra's, & what results did you get? I'd be happy with 140bhp+ & a couple more MPG to be honest.

Oh, & is the difference between the 115 & 130 a different map, smaller turbo & injectors (for the 115) or is there anything else?

Cheers,

Gwaredd.

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Just had mines remapped pd 115. its noticble and you can feel the push. but if you think about its weights around 1700kg.
the best thing about the remap is that its improves the mpg when on cruise mode, and pulls well on a full house. Just need to change the air panel filter to compenstate the better flow
P.s Mines been done by P torque ;)

engle

I had a PD115 Alhambra that I fitted the Tuning Box unit to. I know people sniff at this things and will tell you that a remap is much better, but in the 65k+ miles that I had it fitted, I couldn't fault it. No problems with emissions at MOT time either.

The boost to torque at low revs (it would pull eagerly from under 1300rpm in 4th) was great. Quoted figures were 150bhp and 275lbft. I never got it on a rolling road so I can't say whether they're right or not, but it was far, far nicer to drive once the Tuning Box was fitted. The power came in seamlessly - I had a Tuning Box on a Galaxy 110TDi for a couple of years prior to owning the Alhambra and the difference in the power delivery was like night and day.

Fuel consumption was virtually unnafected by the Tuning Box - true figures (not from the trip computer which was always optimistic!) showed less than 0.5mpg difference.

P-torque.co.uk

Mar 30, 2006
Wolverhampton
www.p-torque.co.uk
I had a PD115 Alhambra that I fitted the Tuning Box unit to. I know people sniff at this things and will tell you that a remap is much better, but in the 65k+ miles that I had it fitted, I couldn't fault it. No problems with emissions at MOT time either.

The boost to torque at low revs (it would pull eagerly from under 1300rpm in 4th) was great. Quoted figures were 150bhp and 275lbft. I never got it on a rolling road so I can't say whether they're right or not, but it was far, far nicer to drive once the Tuning Box was fitted. The power came in seamlessly - I had a Tuning Box on a Galaxy 110TDi for a couple of years prior to owning the Alhambra and the difference in the power delivery was like night and day.

Fuel consumption was virtually unnafected by the Tuning Box - true figures (not from the trip computer which was always optimistic!) showed less than 0.5mpg difference.

Boxes are 50/50, but sounds like you had a good experience.

Certainly wouldn't be anywhere near 150bhp though. Not possible by changing only the injection. A re-map can acheive 155bhp, but this is with turbo adjustment, torque limiters, injection, etc etc

Hand on heart, I had a BMW 330d in yesterday, and a tuning box had damaged 2 sensors and the ECU which had to replaced. The chap then bought it to us for a re-map. This is not always the case, it just depends on the box type. They wont ever get re-map results though.

Last edited:
dont forget those of you with auto's that the auto box is already near it's power limit! so too much extra umph and your possibly looking at a major outlay for a new box! plus the dmf on the manuals again will only take so much extra power before they start to fail!
I know of a member on another forum that ran a 115TDI auto with a remap and he suffured from engine overheating problems when he towed his caravan! which was the main reason for getting the remap, the engine ran fine before the remap with no extra load but the moment he hooked the plastic shed up he was having troubles :confused: in an attempt to cure the problem he replaced the water pump, expansion cap and had the cooling system checked out and even reverted to the OE mapping but the damage was done :( he's looking at possible head gasket failure :(

P-torque.co.uk

Mar 30, 2006
Wolverhampton
www.p-torque.co.uk
dont forget those of you with auto's that the auto box is already near it's power limit! so too much extra umph and your possibly looking at a major outlay for a new box! plus the dmf on the manuals again will only take so much extra power before they start to fail!
I know of a member on another forum that ran a 115TDI auto with a remap and he suffured from engine overheating problems when he towed his caravan! which was the main reason for getting the remap, the engine ran fine before the remap with no extra load but the moment he hooked the plastic shed up he was having troubles :confused: in an attempt to cure the problem he replaced the water pump, expansion cap and had the cooling system checked out and even reverted to the OE mapping but the damage was done :( he's looking at possible head gasket failure :(

Mapped properly, this is avoided by adjusting the torque limiters accordingly. :)

Stu B

DarthWombleIII & WombleII
I have a tuning box fitted on mine - have thought about the remap option but at the mo seem happy with it as it is... Must get it RR tested though to see exactly what it is now.. 130-140 ish I expect?? Plenty me thinks, but having the K&N as well as the free flow exhaust helps :)

Last edited:

engle

It was the general improvement to the driveability that I liked. The torque came in earlier, smother and stronger, and (unlike the old 110 box) there was no sudden step-up where you could say 'that's the tuning box cutting in'.

I really wasn't that fussed about whether it made a genuine150bhp/275lbft or not. Some of the remaps I've driven (especially ones where people have been obsessed with getting the 'max' dyno figures for their car) have been so peaky that they are a real pig to drive.

When I took the box off and drove the car standard for a couple of weeks just before I traded it in, it felt very, very 'flat' to drive. I had to use loads more right foot just to keep the thing rolling along.

daz9113

WOW, i am a new-ish member and like the sound of these tuning boxs -- where can i get one of them for my 1.9tdI SE auto/tip (2002). i not to bothered about big power changers as i think my bamba runs OK... but the smoooother drive at lower revs dose apeal.

Please let me know :)

MR OV51LTA

Jan 3, 2009
Hi all.

Just bought a 2003 SE 115PD for our forthcoming 3rd child. Have to say, even coming from a BMW 530D, I'm pretty impressed with it, but it does need a bit more shove. I'm a great believer in underpowered vehicles are less fuel efficient than higher output equivalent models (see 130PD for example) so am looking at getting it re-mapped.

I've tried the search function, but to no avail, & the TDi tuning section is a right old muddle! So, have any of you guys re-mapped your Alhambra's, & what results did you get? I'd be happy with 140bhp+ & a couple more MPG to be honest.

Oh, & is the difference between the 115 & 130 a different map, smaller turbo & injectors (for the 115) or is there anything else?

Cheers,

Gwaredd.

I bought my 115 because I didn't have the extra grand to spend on a 130 (2 years ago!!)

I fancied a bit more oomph so bought one of the £30 'plugin' tuning boxes off Ebay. It went better and fuel was ok but it smoked its chuff off!!!

So I took it off and had it a stage 2 remap done by Chipped UK in Bromsgrove. This was last Feb and I can only advise that this really is the way to go.

It showed just under 160bhp and around 260bft of torque...so a nice increase, although a bit more torque would have been nice!!

From the outset it was never a shabby drive, it just makes me smile now everytime I squeeze the trigger, especially the traffic light Grand Prix...the kids in the Corsa's etc never saw that one coming!!

And as for MPG...how about loaded up with the family, all the luggage and cruise set to 75 as we drove across France...an average of 52mpg :funk: and I think we managed nearly 750 miles before the fuel light came on!!

Go get yourself a remap..the only thing you'll look back at is the cars you've just past in your rear view mirror!!!

MR OV51LTA

Jan 3, 2009
***, i am a new-ish member and like the sound of these tuning boxs -- where can i get one of them for my 1.9tdI SE auto/tip (2002). i not to bothered about big power changers as i think my bamba runs OK... but the smoooother drive at lower revs dose apeal.

Please let me know :)

You can have my old 'plugin' box for £20 posted if you want it??? Its just sittin inmy kitchen gathering dust...

Dave-G

Take heed of this warning. I have had two 115 Galaxy Auto's, the box seems good for 70K miles or so then things go bump in the night. Post 04 reg ones have a stronger piston in them, but the valve body is as unreliable as ever. My current 05 one has just cost me £1380.

Hi Fredt, long time no hear - thanks for all the good input on Galaxy forum over the years. PS I dont frequent this forum so will probably not see any reply.

ATB, Dave-G.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise