Turbo noise BKD

oskar1981

Hi, My Leon started to make slight turbo whine (more like an owl noise) when deccelerating, so I sent it to Midland turbo for repair. They said turbo is fine and it only needed cleanup as the vanes were sticking. After refiting turbo was fine for few weeks, but now the noise is back. It only happens when in low rpm between 1000-1500 and when I put my foot of the gas. I also found out that when I detach vacuum hose to the vnt actuator the noise is gone. So it looks like noise is there only when vanes are open. They get opened right after startup when vacuum solenoid sucks vacuum and moves the vnt rod. It is also quieter when engine is cold when it gets hotter the noise is more noticable. I also have very slight hissing under hard acceleration but that's two different noises. Could this be related? No power loss. Any suggestion? Please help.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Lots of FR TDI's do this and as far as I know it's nothing to worry about, just the sound of high pressure air doing it's stuff under your bonnet.

The fact that the turbo has been removed, looked at and OK'd should make your mind at ease. I drove a few FR TDI's when I was deciding to go diesel or petrol and they all did it to an extent.

The hissing noise sounds like a boost leak, maybe after your turbo removal you have a loose boost hose clip.

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
Mine is the same as well (its more of a ghost noise a wwoooooowooo) and I got the guys at Awesome GTI take a look at the turbo and nothing untoward was found on the turbo so it might be annoying I can rest easy that the turbo is fine.
Alex

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
mine the same, my wifes magane dti also wines my ex golf 19tdi did this as well, don't think you have much to worry about

oskar1981

Thank you guys all for reply, I guess I'll have to live with it :)

My only concern is that it was quiet after clean up.

I will drive it as it is and then I'll do some clean up with Innotec sometime in summer.

Leon_MHX

Stealth TDi
Nov 6, 2008
Cheshire
Mine is the same as well (its more of a ghost noise a wwoooooowooo) and I got the guys at Awesome GTI take a look at the turbo and nothing untoward was found on the turbo so it might be annoying I can rest easy that the turbo is fine.
Alex

I had the same as you Alex, Awesome told me to get it swapped soon as.

So im now on turbo #2

Alzak

Aug 10, 2010
looks like turbo on FR is bit louder than other engines as on my motor You can hear turbo since I bought it and pulls like it should all the time

greyfloppyhat

Jun 14, 2011
Dublin/Belfast
My 1.9tdi would always make a 'woooo' sound when changing gear if I dont exceed ~3krpm. I like the noise though, and I've always assumed its just it getting rid of the excess pressure, thats been built up. Thats why I reckon it doesnt do it if I change around the red line.

I've heard plently of leons make this wooo noise when changing gear so I wouldnt worry if its this, but maybe the noise I'm describing isnt what your suffering

twitterers

Jul 16, 2011
My 1.9tdi would always make a 'woooo' sound when changing gear if I dont exceed ~3krpm. I like the noise though, and I've always assumed its just it getting rid of the excess pressure, thats been built up. Thats why I reckon it doesnt do it if I change around the red line.

I've heard plently of leons make this wooo noise when changing gear so I wouldnt worry if its this, but maybe the noise I'm describing isnt what your suffering

Could you listen to this video I recorded yesterday with the car standing still and tell me if this is the same as what your referring to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBFygR5_76A&feature=player_embedded#at=12

greyfloppyhat

Jun 14, 2011
Dublin/Belfast
No thats not the noise I was talking about, I'll record a video of it this weekend when I'm out in the car if you'd like. I get that noise too but it would never be as loud as that in the cabin, unless you had the windows down.
The noise I described only really happens if you give your changing gear after the turbo has or is starting to build up a bit of boost. And I've heard countless leons make it, pretty sure its to do with the wastegate or the equivalent of one on the pd105

Scotty2hotty

The futures bright...
Mar 30, 2010
Newcastle
My leon makes both the turbo owl noise and the whoosh noise in gear change when the turbo has spooled thus releasing pressure (bloody love that noise). Its nothing to worry about unless its very noisey (and has just developed). Also if its affecting performance of course. If you hear two contradicting arguments, the best thing is to take the car to a mech or the stealers to have a once over. This will give you peace of mind.

Just remember that excess pressure has to be released when the turbo is not boosting in gear changes, hence the boost release valve (or equivalent) being audible. This prevents the air rushing backwards over the turbo, stalling it and causing damage to the turbo blades etc. The fact you hear it tells you everything is working. However mine has become noisier making me believe it could be sticking slightly. No reduced performance so im fine with it.

Last edited:

greyfloppyhat

Jun 14, 2011
Dublin/Belfast
My leon makes both the turbo owl noise and the whoosh noise in gear change when the turbo has spooled thus releasing pressure (bloody love that noise). Its nothing to worry about unless its very noisey (and has just developed). Also if its affecting performance of course. If you hear two contradicting arguments, the best thing is to take the car to a mech or the stealers to have a once over. This will give you peace of mind.

Just remember that excess pressure has to be released when the turbo is not boosting in gear changes, hence the boost release valve (or equivalent) being audible. This prevents the air rushing backwards over the turbo, stalling it and causing damage to the turbo blades etc. The fact you hear it tells you everything is working. However mine has become noisier making me believe it could be sticking slightly. No reduced performance so im fine with it.

I will never tire of that noise, I've a habit of changing to 3rd then into 4th, letting the engine slow and back to 3rd and up to 4th again, just so I can here it go bwwwoooo. Probabaly not great on the car but I just love that noise and the fact it comes standard :D

Rua1r1

Rua1r1
May 5, 2009
Co.Armagh
Mine was making that noise for a long time then i began to have boost problems, it was ok in the lower gears but in the higher gears its was over-boosting, so to cut a long story short i got it completely refurbished and havnt had problem or any noise since :)

Last edited:

greyfloppyhat

Jun 14, 2011
Dublin/Belfast
refurb kits are only around £50, once I get my suspension sorted I'm gonna do this as well as clean the EGR, inlet and intercooler. So they'll be a big big guide on its way within the next couple of weeks :D

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise