turning remap off

rallynut

Dec 25, 2008
Are you able to turn your remap off using vagcom?
Reason i ask is im going to get my 150 remapped but if the clutch starts to slip badly i will turn it off until i can afford a new clutch.
And then is it a case of simply turning it back on?
also can you do this with any remap?
cheers

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Can't be done with anything other than the remappers software. There are ways to achieve what you want but it's a little more than just turning it off. The remapped software replaces the original software on the ecu, so to revert it you need to reinstate the original software files. Different manufacturers of tuning gear address this in different ways.

Chipped UK sell you a device to read the ecu files and email the data to them. They modify the data (tune it) and send you back 3 files. Your original stock file, and a choice of two from economy, fast road, race. You then use the device to switch between your chosen maps or the original as you wish.

Revo use a slightly different system whish has just one remap file and standard (I believe) but works in the same way.

Superchips use a device called Bluefin, same sort of thing.

Others are available...;)

S3 AKR

livin' the dream!!!
Jun 30, 2004
Colchester, Essex
I used Revo and its switchable (on/off only on a TDi) but you have to buy the switch to do it as an extra. The dealers will switch it for you (for free last time I looked), or you can use someone elses switch.

Be warned - your clutch will slip at somepoint. My car was only on 5k miles when I revo'd it and at 25k I had to switch Revo off till I got a new uprated clutch plate at 29k, before getting a proper clutch at 75k!

Revo is know to be quite aggressive (which I personally like), but some of the others will tune it to keep torque a bit more clutch friendly. You need to speak to some tuners before deciding.

andycupra

status subject to change
i dont understand remaps that are sold for stock cars that lead to clutch slippage.

You should be able to request them to remove it or modify it if its not suitable for a stock car and they have not stated that uprated parts are needed.

rallynut

Dec 25, 2008
seems thats the only problem with tdi's is the clutch.
you can have both economy and power but have to uprate the clutch.
and you dont know until youve bought the map thats the thing

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
also it does depend how you drive the car and what map, if your getting a map that spikes hard then your banging the clutch with torque and cooking it, if you go for a progressive map this will limit it, but if you do the traffic light grandprix everytime your at the lights your going to cook the clutch in std mode,

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
i dont understand remaps that are sold for stock cars that lead to clutch slippage.

You should be able to request them to remove it or modify it if its not suitable for a stock car and they have not stated that uprated parts are needed.
I suspect if remapping companies advertised lower peak power and/or torque figures, or suggesting owners would need to fork out £100s on uprated clutches etc, they'd lose out to the competition...
The majority of people buying remaps just want big headline figures, they don't understand or look further into the way it's delivered by different remaps. Many won't even know the difference between torque and power, and where in the rev range the peaks of both occur. They just want big figures - so that's what the remap companies offer.

I asked for my map to be tailored to knock back the peak torque figure just slightly, effectively the peak is just slightly flattened off through a narrow section of the rev range where the torque output exceeds the clutch limit, everywhere else it's the same as the normal remap. Even in that narrow band it's still a big increase over standard.
Peak power figures at the top end of the rev range remain the same as the normal remap, around 175bhp (Awesome's RR).
I've had the same remap on both Passats now, and the clutch has never slipped once in many tens of thousands of miles, both standard clutches still going strong well beyond 100k miles whereas before having the torque levels capped, the slightest hint of gentle throttle (read: not abusive on/off throttle use) in normal cruising conditions would have it sounding like an automatic....

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
this might work.. I dont know but worth a try:
if you have vagcom, go into engine settings and softcode.. take note of your current code. change the leading 1 which I expect is there to a 0 and save..
ign off, then try it..

it may switch it off if its enabled that way in whoevers software is on the car

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
this might work.. I dont know but worth a try:
if you have vagcom, go into engine settings and softcode.. take note of your current code. change the leading 1 which I expect is there to a 0 and save..
ign off, then try it..

it may switch it off if its enabled that way in whoevers software is on the car

This is how Custom Code is switched. The number in mine is 10005 (but could potentially be 20005) for the remap and 00005 for standard.

The ability to change between maps is useful in the winter when the roads are slippery and I also switch it when my clutch slips.

rallynut

Dec 25, 2008
so what your saying is you are able to switch off the custom code remap by doing what you said?

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
APR maps can be switched via the cruise control switch but require the fitting of CC if you dont already have it.

Last edited:

andycupra

status subject to change
he means APR maps...

well it seems that i miss read this thread as i thought he had a reamp and the clutch was then slipping. But he hasnt had it remapped yet and is mearly worried about clutch slippage.

I would go to a rempaper and say you are concerned with clutch slip, most will be able to give you a remap with a bit less torque, or will be happy to adjust or remove the map if you get slippage. Just talk to them and explain your concerns.

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
so what your saying is you are able to switch off the custom code remap by doing what you said?

Yep I switch mine depending on road conditions at this time of the year. I was going to go for P-Torque but it wasn't switchable like Custom Code and my mate had issues with P-Torque with his mk1 Audi TT (remap power claims)

skullmunki

Ding Ding Round 2!!!
Nov 12, 2006
I want mine switching off mainly because i'm putting it back to standard before it goes for sale, Awesome GTI said they'd do it for £100, although i'm hoping I can get it done cheaper (haven't got Vagcom to check above method, although it's handy to know!)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.