Tyres for Cupra R

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Yep, another tyre thread!

Got a 2004 Cupra R that im having tyre dramas with.

So, a couple of years ago i treated my car to a brand new set of Michelin Sport 4s. Long story short ive got one left. One punctured early on and the garage sold me a new alternative make saying ind run it flat, i hadn't!
End of last summer i checked the fronts and they were both toast so replaced them with a pair of budgets as its all i could afford. Checked them just now and theyre both on the 1 6mm bars. FFS!!!!!
What can i get that will last more than 10 minutes?
I never drive the car hard in straight lines or round bends. Infact i probably dont use half the power its got.

Just want tyres that are reasonable all rounders and last for more than 20 miles. What you reccomend?

Rich

P.S tyre pressures are checked regularly BUT i do think the tracking may need doing.

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Driving on gravel can reduce tread fast. Driving style, wheel spinning that sort of thing.
Tyre wise I am not sure. I got Michelin Pilots on mine and they are still going for last couple years. Cost a mint though

Reactions: Rich.T

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Mmmm. None of that applies. Dont drive on gravel and barely use half the power available.
Im a HGV driver with a clean licence. And im an old man 😄 so the car is pretty wasted on me lol.
Im registered on black circles so will have a mooch on there.
Cheers for your reply 👍

Reactions: Jay20VT

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Mmmm. None of that applies. Dont drive on gravel and barely use half the power available.
Im a HGV driver with a clean licence. And im an old man 😄 so the car is pretty wasted on me lol.
Im registered on black circles so will have a mooch on there.
Cheers for your reply 👍
Yep good luck. Demon Tweeks sometimes have deals and a great range of tyres

iammooks

Nov 27, 2018
I can’t afford Michelins, as much as I loved them, but wasn’t going to put budget tyres on the car either. Pirelli didn’t last 10k and Avon perished to the point of being dangerous within a year or two.

I’ve got Bridgestone Turanza on at the moment and they’ve been fine. They’ve been on the car three years now and I haven’t had any problems. Grip and handling seems fine too.

Checked the spare after I got them, and it turns out the car was supplied with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Michelins win the longevity tests. So you may think they are more expensive but if they last 15k instead of 10k are they really more expensive.

Michelin pilot sport 5's are cheaper than the 4S and they are a decent enough tyre.

Thats what i would fit

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Thanks all. Couldn't afford another pair of Michelins, also theyve gone up about £30 a piece since i last bought a set.

Gone for a pair of Uniroyal Rain Sports. Got good reviews so will see how they go. Getting tracking done whilst its in getting the boots fitted.

Thanks again everyone.
What sort of car forum would it be without the occasional tyre thread? 😄

Rich

Reactions: Nam-uk and Alexis27
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.