Tyres, Summer, All Season or Winter

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Winter 2023/2024 will be my 1st year of requiring my own car for a work commute. Already decided for the 1st time ever i will make the switch to winters just so i don't die

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Second set of wheels or just a change of tyres?
Probably just change tyres every 6 months 🤷🏻‍♂️

Buy the time i buy another set of wheels and 4 new tpms sensors for them and tyres be around £1500-2000 or just a set of tyres will be around £600

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
One reason to buy maybe a suitable used set of wheels, from a lower trim level, is to end up with narrower tyres with higher sidewalls, which are both useful to have in winter time - and that usually means paying less for the same brand of tyre. As well as the summer wheels never needing to get trashed by the winter salt.
Obviously brake sizes will determine if you can drop a wheel size, or if in doubt check to see what the manufacturer recommends for winter wheels/tyre sizes.
I've always aimed to use a size that the manufacturer is happy with, as that should help keeping the insurance happy, ie no extra loading.
I've always had concerns regarding swopping the tyres on wheels every 6 months, I suppose just in case the tyre carcase gets damaged at the rim point, and the wheels get chipped at the rim, which will accelerate the corrosion/leaking.
So far I've never ever managed to get any proper money back on winter wheels or tyres, but I've accepted that that was going to be the case, storage can be another issue, but I have a generously sized double garage, so for me that is not an issue.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
One reason to buy maybe a suitable used set of wheels, from a lower trim level, is to end up with narrower tyres with higher sidewalls, which are both useful to have in winter time - and that usually means paying less for the same brand of tyre. As well as the summer wheels never needing to get trashed by the winter salt.
Obviously brake sizes will determine if you can drop a wheel size, or if in doubt check to see what the manufacturer recommends for winter wheels/tyre sizes.
I've always aimed to use a size that the manufacturer is happy with, as that should help keeping the insurance happy, ie no extra loading.
I've always had concerns regarding swopping the tyres on wheels every 6 months, I suppose just in case the tyre carcase gets damaged at the rim point, and the wheels get chipped at the rim, which will accelerate the corrosion/leaking.
So far I've never ever managed to get any proper money back on winter wheels or tyres, but I've accepted that that was going to be the case, storage can be another issue, but I have a generously sized double garage, so for me that is not an issue.
The wheels i have 18" 225/40/18 are actually the smallest size that came on my car from the factory. I could get a set of 17's from an A Class but 17" tyres in a 45 profile are actually dearer than the 18" tyres in a 40 profile and the same width at 225.

The wheels themselves are nothing special they are powdercoated gloss black anyways so winter isn't an issue for them

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
Your choice is pay to have tyres changed twice a year or buy another set of wheels once (& probably sell in the future).
In general winter tyres in 225/45-17 are cheaper than 225/40-18 & 17" wheels are cheaper than 18s.
You can buy decent new wheels for less than £200 each. I prefer fairly plain 5-spoke wheels that are easy to clean.

Reactions: RUM4MO
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members