• Hi Guest why not show off your SEAT! (now fixed)
    You can now share your favourite car photos in the new media gallery including embedding pictures from your Instagram account.

Tyres wearing out fast

Xav

I got a set of Michelin Pilot sport 3 tyres fitted about 5 months ago, I've only covered about 6,000 miles since and the front tyres are almost needing replacing!

The thing is I drive sensibly and find it a bit strange they are wearing out so fast as they are supposed to be pretty good tyres.

Maybe wheelspinning in the snow for about a month hasn't helped :happy:

Is it worth trying other brands or is everyone else the same?

onlyonearrow

I have Bridgestone Potenzas on my 2.0TDi Sport. When the car was recently serviced, the safety report confirmed the fronts had 3-4mm wear and that I check the conditon in 3 months time. I check my tryes regularly, knew they were around that level and thought it was sensible advice.

However a week later, during a very snowy and icy period, the fronts had dropped to the legal limit (1.6mm). I was shocked and replaced them. I've always driven sensibly - so I'm convinced the extra wheelspin in the difficult conditions scrubbed the tyres fater than normal. I still think it excessive,, but maybe the recent weather takes a bigger toll on tyres than we might expect?

Poverty

T1Rs where a good tyre donkey years ago. They are mediocre now.

try the ps2 or the eagle f1 assy.

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
wheel spinning on snow wears them out - fact.

Was quite surprised about this - i had brand new (1 week before the snow) and after seriously heavy abuse of them in the snow - they are 3/4 worn :cry:

If only i'd known before hand.

Xav

Glad it's not just me!

I used to have T1-Rs on my xsara vts and they seemed pretty good at the time, def a tyre I'd recommend.

New tyres in the springtime then :(

JMP

May 27, 2004
wheel spinning on snow wears them out - fact.

Was quite surprised about this - i had brand new (1 week before the snow) and after seriously heavy abuse of them in the snow - they are 3/4 worn :cry:

If only i'd known before hand.
I find this hard to believe :) I drive almost 6 months a year in snow and keep spinning my tires all the time. They dont wear at all.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
1 thing you need to remember that because a certain tyre works really well on 1 car wont mean it will work just as well on another car.
Wheel size and width come into play , also for a front wheel drive car for grip , how heavy or light the front end is will have a big impact on how they perform.

I used to spend hours trawling through different car forums seeing which were the best tyres , i tried some of the top tyres only to find they perform on my car as good as i thought they would.

Yes there are defintaly brands you should avoid but a lot of it is down to personal taste and how you drive the car.

Aug 20, 2005
stafford
Got these pilot sport 3 on mine too. Replaced original ones on the front ps2`s at 19000miles and they are 3/4 worn after 7000 miles. Not as bad as yours but poor for michelins and not as long lasting as the old pilot sport 2 (which have an identical tread pattern)

maximm

based on my experince I could recommend all bridges, they are quite noisy but very 'long-term'. My stock pzeros arre more'less good but of cource it depends how you push the throttle from the start:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Poverty

Mmmmm super sports will be my next tyre too they are the ps2 replacement, the ps3 did not replace the ps2 contrary to popular belief.

I didn't rate the bridgestoned as highly as the ps20

Letchworth SEAT - car sales sponsor