Tyres wearing out fast

Xav

I got a set of Michelin Pilot sport 3 tyres fitted about 5 months ago, I've only covered about 6,000 miles since and the front tyres are almost needing replacing!

The thing is I drive sensibly and find it a bit strange they are wearing out so fast as they are supposed to be pretty good tyres.

Maybe wheelspinning in the snow for about a month hasn't helped :happy:

Is it worth trying other brands or is everyone else the same?

onlyonearrow

I have Bridgestone Potenzas on my 2.0TDi Sport. When the car was recently serviced, the safety report confirmed the fronts had 3-4mm wear and that I check the conditon in 3 months time. I check my tryes regularly, knew they were around that level and thought it was sensible advice.

However a week later, during a very snowy and icy period, the fronts had dropped to the legal limit (1.6mm). I was shocked and replaced them. I've always driven sensibly - so I'm convinced the extra wheelspin in the difficult conditions scrubbed the tyres fater than normal. I still think it excessive,, but maybe the recent weather takes a bigger toll on tyres than we might expect?

Poverty

T1Rs where a good tyre donkey years ago. They are mediocre now.

try the ps2 or the eagle f1 assy.

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
wheel spinning on snow wears them out - fact.

Was quite surprised about this - i had brand new (1 week before the snow) and after seriously heavy abuse of them in the snow - they are 3/4 worn :cry:

If only i'd known before hand.

Xav

Glad it's not just me!

I used to have T1-Rs on my xsara vts and they seemed pretty good at the time, def a tyre I'd recommend.

New tyres in the springtime then :(

JMP

May 27, 2004
wheel spinning on snow wears them out - fact.

Was quite surprised about this - i had brand new (1 week before the snow) and after seriously heavy abuse of them in the snow - they are 3/4 worn :cry:

If only i'd known before hand.

I find this hard to believe :) I drive almost 6 months a year in snow and keep spinning my tires all the time. They dont wear at all.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
1 thing you need to remember that because a certain tyre works really well on 1 car wont mean it will work just as well on another car.
Wheel size and width come into play , also for a front wheel drive car for grip , how heavy or light the front end is will have a big impact on how they perform.

I used to spend hours trawling through different car forums seeing which were the best tyres , i tried some of the top tyres only to find they perform on my car as good as i thought they would.

Yes there are defintaly brands you should avoid but a lot of it is down to personal taste and how you drive the car.

Aug 20, 2005
stafford
Got these pilot sport 3 on mine too. Replaced original ones on the front ps2`s at 19000miles and they are 3/4 worn after 7000 miles. Not as bad as yours but poor for michelins and not as long lasting as the old pilot sport 2 (which have an identical tread pattern)

maximm

based on my experince I could recommend all bridges, they are quite noisy but very 'long-term'. My stock pzeros arre more'less good but of cource it depends how you push the throttle from the start:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Poverty

Mmmmm super sports will be my next tyre too they are the ps2 replacement, the ps3 did not replace the ps2 contrary to popular belief.

I didn't rate the bridgestoned as highly as the ps20

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise