Unbelievable!!!

supersticky

Dec 16, 2010
taunton somerset
The time is now 10:16 my mot is at 11 and the battery light has just come over on f*******!!!!!!
Why o pissing Lord why...
Alt?? Few pics, when running.
f1b506c4d042ff9abfed590cd31f5e1e.jpg
dd8788b1919ffb87decaf085e2fce478.jpg

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I just can't believe it! Anyone got one? Cheers Thai.

I'm all out of spares unfortunately.

Have you checked the auxiliary belt is still attached or rotating properly with the pulleys in case it's slipping?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

supersticky

Dec 16, 2010
taunton somerset
Gutted, yeah bud cleaned earth, plugs battery terminals and checked belt and tensioner all flipping wonderful

supersticky

Dec 16, 2010
taunton somerset
To make matters worse it failed its MOT on my LED headlight bulbs no pattern to it.
I said I could walk into town and get normal halogen bulbs fit them but they said no we have to fail it now return another day.
other than that they said the car is in great condition and underneath is really clean.

Reactions: Yellow fr

supersticky

Dec 16, 2010
taunton somerset
Question:
so the battery light came on around 10 this morning it went for its MOT and was sat running in the test centre for 40 minutes I drove home and turned it off obviously won't start now I've put the battery on charge does that mean I can drive it again when fully charged and it would run for ages until I turn it off again. Need to collect my new bloody headlight bulbs for retest

Battoussai

Mar 22, 2016
Portugal
Question:
so the battery light came on around 10 this morning it went for its MOT and was sat running in the test centre for 40 minutes I drove home and turned it off obviously won't start now I've put the battery on charge does that mean I can drive it again when fully charged and it would run for ages until I turn it off again. Need to collect my new bloody headlight bulbs for retest

Hi there. If your alternator is gone, then your running engine is not charging your battery. So, if you charge it at home it will only work until reaches half empty (usually by around 50% capacity it becames insuficient). I would drive with the charger in the trunk.:)

supersticky

Dec 16, 2010
taunton somerset
Ok so my plan is to drive it to the test centre tomorrow morning 5 mins away, they check my headlight bulbs and give me the certificate then drive home again.
Alternator hopefully turn up Friday.
Thanks for the advice peep's

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Ok so my plan is to drive it to the test centre tomorrow morning 5 mins away, they check my headlight bulbs and give me the certificate then drive home again.
Alternator hopefully turn up Friday.
Thanks for the advice peep's

Well you are only running on the charge of the battery.

if you want to go as far as possible

turn EVERYTHING off.

no lights / no heating / no radio.

but how far you will get on the charge of a battery is in the hand of the gods.

from experience you will not get very far at all

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
Car batteries die slowly over several years by losing capacity.

A new battery, fully charged would get you a hell of a long way on an old diesel.
A five year old battery, part charged, newer computerised diesel, bit of a guess.

Sods law, you find out on a dark dual carraigeway at rush hour.:rolleyes:

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
Usual cause of death of alternators are the brushes wear out. I think Leons' are Bosch & Valeo.

If bosch, this is the one I fitted last month. £23 ish, It was genuine Bosch & fitted & worked perfectly.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alternat...6-3-2-99-to-04-Genuine-Bosch-New/233851253426

Better still, they can be swapped in situ, without dropping the alternator (a pain on my TDI)

Bosch part numbers are a complete pain. There are hundreds for what often seem to be the same part.
I think that each time they supply a car maker, they put a different part number on it.
So making it harder to cross reference, also they can charge more for the "correct" part.

By the way, my Leon brake master cylinder is the same as for a Ferrari Testarossa.
Bet you, a part supplier's prices will not respect this fact.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.