Uncomfortable ride

ssc2000

Mar 19, 2016
Hello all

New member :) I've just bought a 64 plate 1.4FR, and I'm finding the ride very uncomfortable if the road is a bit worn. Not sure if its just the state of the local roads and me not being use to a car with sporty suspension, or if there's a problem

Anyone else found this ?

Ady

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Hello all

New member :) I've just bought a 64 plate 1.4FR, and I'm finding the ride very uncomfortable if the road is a bit worn. Not sure if its just the state of the local roads and me not being use to a car with sporty suspension, or if there's a problem

Anyone else found this ?

Ady

Go and testdrive same kind of car than yours to compare.
It is impossible for us to say anything via internet.
My car has multilink rear suspension, so it is different than yours, but i can say the ride is no uncomfortable in my car, sure there are cars with more comfortable suspension setup, but for me the ride is quite nice...sporty stiff, but not harsh.
And as for Cupra, does not feel any different than multilink FR

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
I have a 1.4 FR ST (December 15) with 17inch 45 profile tyres and I find that the ride is not as good as my previous car, 2009 Golf Mk6 2.0 TDi GT which had 18inch 40 profile tyres.
It is possible the ST (estate) version has stiffer rear suspension for heavier loads.

FamilyGuy

Apr 1, 2015
My ST is a touch on the firm side, make sure the tyres aren't over-inflated...

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

page3

Dec 25, 2015
Shows how perceptions vary so much.

I'm finding my FR really quite soft compared to my Audi SE (not the Sport or S-line). Quite surprised me.

Last edited:

Peter55

Jan 20, 2016
Hexham
Shows how perceptions vary so much.

I'm finding my FR really quite soft compared to my Audi SE (not the Sport or S-line). Quite surprised me.

That's strange, on our test drive I found the FR (on 18") as hard as our A1 Sport.
We still ordered one but splashed out Dynamic Chassis Control to soften things, but retain the Sport set up for fun.
My car has been built, but not here yet

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Worst Leon we found for ride was an 08 Reference Sport, that bordered on painful.

page3

Dec 25, 2015
That's strange, on our test drive I found the FR (on 18") as hard as our A1 Sport.
We still ordered one but splashed out Dynamic Chassis Control to soften things, but retain the Sport set up for fun.
My car has been built, but not here yet

Both my Leon and Audi are on 17" which softens things up. No idea why I'm finding the Leon softer though!

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
My ST is a touch on the firm side, make sure the tyres aren't over-inflated...

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I found that when I collected the car the tyres were inflated to the maximum for normal load, I reduced them to the recommended 'comfort' setting and it did improve the ride a little.

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
I found that when I collected the car the tyres were inflated to the maximum for normal load, I reduced them to the recommended 'comfort' setting and it did improve the ride a little.

^ This.

The "recommended" pressures are about fuel saving, and IMO are ridiculously high, even the comfort settings look high to me given the weight of the car.
Mines on 17's too (good call :thumbup:), and I've settled on 2.2/2.0 BAR as optimal, ride is much better, braking distances optimised, mid corner grip and stability significantly better too. HTH

Pinky

Sep 27, 2015
The ride is quite supple for a sporty ish car. Try an Evo or type R Impreza. The Leon will feel like an armchair after that.

ssc2000

Mar 19, 2016
Hi, thanks for all the replies, I've dropped the pressures slightly, so will see if it helps, although fronts look a bit flat now lol

Car is on standard 17", and was expecting it to be a lot firmer than my old car, just seems if tarmac is worn and rippled from buses etc I can feel the wheels struggling to cope

Ady

MrStroppy

Dec 5, 2011
Hello all

Anyone else found this ?

Ady

Hi

I have the same issue.

I'm on the standard 225/45/17''s but have the 1.8tsi with multilink rear suspension.

The front wheels seem to hone in on any rough piece of road or bumps.

Not sure if it's the car or road.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
^ This.

The "recommended" pressures are about fuel saving, and IMO are ridiculously high, even the comfort settings look high to me given the weight of the car.
Mines on 17's too (good call :thumbup:), and I've settled on 2.2/2.0 BAR as optimal, ride is much better, braking distances optimised, mid corner grip and stability significantly better too. HTH

Thanks for that info, I'm going to try that tomorrow. 2.2 Bar is the standard 'comfort' setting for the front and 2.0 Bar is about 3psi lower so it may help. Cheers.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
I specified 17" as well, despite not liking the style

A choice of 17" rims would have been nice

Agreed I don't particularly like the standard 17'' wheels but I went with them because when I ordered my car the 18'' ones which I quite liked put the car into the next VED band, I know it was only £10 a year extra, but between me ordering and taking delivery the emissions were revised so I was in the next band anyway! I also hoped I would get a more comfortable ride with the 17'' wheels. I'm thinking of having a shiny 'Chrome' or a Gold finish put on the wheels I think it would look good with the Apollo Blue paintwork.

Peter55

Jan 20, 2016
Hexham
Agreed I don't particularly like the standard 17'' wheels but I went with them because when I ordered my car the 18'' ones which I quite liked put the car into the next VED band, I know it was only £10 a year extra, but between me ordering and taking delivery the emissions were revised so I was in the next band anyway! I also hoped I would get a more comfortable ride with the 17'' wheels. I'm thinking of having a shiny 'Chrome' or a Gold finish put on the wheels I think it would look good with the Apollo Blue paintwork.

As mine is Alor Blue I'm hoping no one will notice the wheels, being totally fazed by the colour

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
As mine is Alor Blue I'm hoping no one will notice the wheels, being totally fazed by the colour

Must admit I nearly chose Alor Blue myself but felt it was a bit 'young' for me, plus my nelghbour has a Fiesta in a similar looking colour. I think choosing the colour was the hardest part when ordering my car, visited several dealers looking at various colours in the Seat range.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.