Tires - help and advice is needed

Lord_Nikkon

Jul 18, 2020
Poland
Hello all,

Recently i have feeling that my summer tires are become loudly and uncomfortable. Currently i have Michelin Primacy 4 which I'm using for last 40 000 km. Size is 225/40/18. I know that such profil is not most comfortable but still i have feeling that I'm riding on wood wheels. I checked pressure, all wheels was rebalanced i change in X pattern wheels and same.

Of course i check bearings and they are fine.

Pressure on front 2,6 and back 2,4
Leon MK3 FR with 2.0 TSI

Here is my question. Can you advice me quiet and comfortable tires. I don't need Some truck day tires just comfortable and quiet.

Maybe someone has experience with Goodyear Asymmetric 6 or Bridgestone Turanza 6? Maybe something else i should take under consideration? I know that Leon is not the best regarding sound proof but this i will address next year.

Lord_Nikkon

Jul 18, 2020
Poland
Thanks but this is external db ratings and they are a little bit misleading because tire can sound deferent and also it doesn't say how conformable tire is. My Michelin Primacy 4 had rating 69db but sound which they start to make and harsh of driving is far from comfortable.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
My car is 225/45/17 and I've been running UniRoyal Rainsport 5's without an issue. I'm about to change to Goodyear Asymmetric 6 as they review well.

This site is really good for more `real world` testing:

Reactions: '& Son' managed

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
Hello all,

Recently i have feeling that my summer tires are become loudly and uncomfortable. Currently i have Michelin Primacy 4 which I'm using for last 40 000 km. Size is 225/40/18. I know that such profil is not most comfortable but still i have feeling that I'm riding on wood wheels. I checked pressure, all wheels was rebalanced i change in X pattern wheels and same.

Of course i check bearings and they are fine.

Pressure on front 2,6 and back 2,4
Leon MK3 FR with 2.0 TSI

Here is my question. Can you advice me quiet and comfortable tires. I don't need Some truck day tires just comfortable and quiet.

Maybe someone has experience with Goodyear Asymmetric 6 or Bridgestone Turanza 6? Maybe something else i should take under consideration? I know that Leon is not the best regarding sound proof but this i will address next year.
2.6bar - (is about 38psi in old money!) which for me is an 'eco' or fully loaded tyre pressure.
The older tyre pressure labels used to give 2x pressures - normal/comfort and eco/loaded.
My 2.0TDI ST has tyre pressure of 32psi!
There are some discussions on here regarding tyre pressures.

Lord_Nikkon

Jul 18, 2020
Poland
2.6bar - (is about 38psi in old money!) which for me is an 'eco' or fully loaded tyre pressure.
The older tyre pressure labels used to give 2x pressures - normal/comfort and eco/loaded.
My 2.0TDI ST has tyre pressure of 32psi!
There are some discussions on here regarding tyre pressures.

I also has worry that tyre preasure which i "should put" is way to high. I know that i have bigger engine than my previous 1,4TSI (pre FL Leon) but still.

Diesel is more have than TSI. I think this is all about Eco. I need go to my car and make picture of this pressure sticker. As far as i remember - front tire - 2,6 psi and rear 2,4 psi

My car is 225/45/17 and I've been running UniRoyal Rainsport 5's without an issue. I'm about to change to Goodyear Asymmetric 6 as they review well.

This site is really good for more `real world` testing:

I also think about Asymetric 6 but i spoke with two people and Turanza 6 also is very decent tire.

Lord_Nikkon

Jul 18, 2020
Poland
Yesterday i had alignment check and it's perfect. All 4 tires was inspected very well and they are ok.

Just in case shop change rims so front right tire went to rear left and so on. Issue is still the same. Bearings are quiet.

I just suspect that tires (DOT 22 19) are just get old and also high pressure is not helping them. Roads here in Poland are recently made from not perfectly flat asphalt but it's more rugged. When today i went old street in my home city with old kind of asfalt it was silent. I start to think that this tires are not designed to rugged roads, has to hard compound which with high pressure cause this sound.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@Lord_Nikkon - I’ve found that as a tyre‘s tread depth wears down with increased mileage over time, it can become noisier. And yes, when driving on coarse asphalt road surfaces (and concrete roads too), the tyres will generate more road noise than if driving on a smooth surfaced road.

Lord_Nikkon

Jul 18, 2020
Poland
@Lord_Nikkon - I’ve found that as a tyre‘s tread depth wears down with increased mileage over time, it can become noisier. And yes, when driving on coarse asphalt road surfaces (and concrete roads too), the tyres will generate more road noise than if driving on a smooth surfaced road.

I have same feeling and observations also i think that gum ,with time, getting harder. all together make tire more loudly. Now i need to figure out what to buy. Goodyear Asymmetric 6 or new Turanza 6 from Bridgestone

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I also has worry that tyre preasure which i "should put" is way to high. I know that i have bigger engine than my previous 1,4TSI (pre FL Leon) but still.

Diesel is more have than TSI. I think this is all about Eco. I need go to my car and make picture of this pressure sticker. As far as i remember - front tire - 2,6 psi and rear 2,4 psi

I also think about Asymetric 6 but i spoke with two people and Turanza 6 also is very decent tire.

Yes, my point was my TDI is heavier than the TSI - and yet my label lists a lower tyre pressure, meaning your TSI would also be ok at a lower pressure - certainly fine to try for free to see if it helps, before you start buying tyres!?

Lord_Nikkon

Jul 18, 2020
Poland
Yes, my point was my TDI is heavier than the TSI - and yet my label lists a lower tyre pressure, meaning your TSI would also be ok at a lower pressure - certainly fine to try for free to see if it helps, before you start buying tyres!?

Absolutely agree! Buying i will leave to next year because i want tires made same year when i will install them on rims. I will reduce tire pressure tommorrow and also i will place here what is on my sticker. For me this pressure make tires hard as a rock and maybe (just maybe) reason for that is to protect rims when you will hit carb. But...

Lord_Nikkon

Jul 18, 2020
Poland
IMG_2062.jpg

Here is my label with tire pressure. I reduced pressure but i think it will not change too much.

If it will not change much which tire are you recommending? Turanza 6 or Asymmetric 6. I need comfortable tyre for normal driving.

Tivver500

Nov 23, 2019
Just had a set of Vredestein Quattrac Pro all seasons fitted (by Black Circles) on the Cupra ST. Price was good and fitted at home.
Got rid of the rest of the tread on the original Contis in Germany (up at 140mph - traffic stopping any more :cautious:).
Only done about 500 miles so far but the Vredesteins give good grip and are noticebly quieter than the Contis.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
OOO can you share with me/us what is your feelings after change, especially regarding comfort and noise?
Okay - quick update. Done about 250 miles.

184 ST FR 225/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 6

Previous tyres Uniroyal Rainsport 5's - 17,800 miles with c.3mm left when changed.

I commute 6 miles to work on A and B roads with 30/40/50 limits mainly, so not great for a tyre review.

Initial thoughts are that the tyres sort of track well - just feel well planted and go where you point them. Positive sterring and feedback. Road noise seems much the same as any other tyres.

What I have done:

• Pushed the car quite hard (60mph) arount twisty roads I wouldn't usually drive that fast - good grip and feedback (better than Rainsports)
  • Pushed the car quite hard on wet twisty roads - good grip and feedback (on a par with Rainsports - they were always good in the wet)
  • Driven on damp roads with tow bar mounted bike carrier and MTB on the back. Always makes the front end a bit light - no drama - good grip.
  • 10 miles on dual carriageway - at 50mph minimal noise - at 70mph more noise but no more than other tyres
  • May have done 95 at one point in the dry - perfectly good in a straight line!
I have tried to push the car at times to challenge the tyres and never had an issue.

I do not really drive that hard, fast or aggressively normally - in the interests of "what can they do", I drove the car harder than usual and the tyres were fine. Good level of grip and positive steering.

Ref comfort and noise - the comfort is the same as other tyres I guess - we have a lot of bumpy rural roads, so I do get some road feedback but it's the same with other tyres and as I have 17" wheels., I'm probably better off then 18 or 19" wheels. Noise seems much the same as other tyres - I can't really give specific info on that.

Overall - they are good tyres but I'm not driving a performance car or worknig them that hard in my usual driving. I want good wet/dry grip and decent tyre longevity. They certainly do that so far.

Not fair to compare new tyres to part worn. My Rainsports lasted nearly 2 years (over 17,000 miles) and even when part worn - they were still very good. Just started to struggle in the dry if pushing hard and a little loss of traction on damp/wet roads when pulling away hard. Hardly surprising. I would buy Rainsports again though, as again, I'm not driving the car that hard and they are good, safe tyres.

As for the Asymmetric 6 - so far, so good. I want to see what they are like on really wet roads, particularly ref aquaplaning - the Rainsports were awesome in the wet on motorways, so would be nice to see how the Asymmetric 6 compare.

I can't/won't say that the Asymmetric 6 are better/worse than any other tyre - for me, so far, they have been more than acceptable. I'll have to see how they cope during winter and see how well they wear.

So - it's very subjective and I'm not a petrol head - so make of that what you will!

H Rafiq

Jan 5, 2022
I just put a Uniroyal Rainsport on the front of my Leon Cupra. So far so good 👍🏼 very similar to a PS4/5.