Uncomfortable ride

Peter55

Jan 20, 2016
Hexham
Must admit I nearly chose Alor Blue myself but felt it was a bit 'young' for me, plus my nelghbour has a Fiesta in a similar looking colour. I think choosing the colour was the hardest part when ordering my car, visited several dealers looking at various colours in the Seat range.

Agree, I'm no longer young, but I'm blaming Mrs as she chose it.
I wanted Lima Green!!

Always regretted not getting my Scirocco in Viper Green, but I was a mere 55 when I got that

Dr.Dash

Aug 30, 2015
Midlands
I've settled on 2.2/2.0 BAR as optimal...

Thanks for that info, I'm going to try that tomorrow. 2.2 Bar is the standard 'comfort' setting for the front and 2.0 Bar is about 3psi lower so it may help. Cheers.

Just to clarify my post above, 2.2/2.0 are the Front/Rear pressures I've settled on (mines an SC on 17s).

The recommended figures on mine are
Comfort 2.3/2.1
Normal 2.5/2.3

There does seem to be a lot of variation on what owner's stickers recommend, but across all the VAG hatchbacks I've owned the fronts are generally 0.2 BAR higher than the rears, it seems sensible to maintain this differential.

If you do go lower than 2.2/2.0 it's probably worth keeping an accurate log of tyre wear. Use a thread depth guage and record inner/mid/outer depths, more wear on the inner/outer suggests underinflation.

Over very broken surfaces the ride can be a little crashy, that's down to the damper rates, but the spring rates are less aggressive IMO so over longer period disturbances the ride is pretty compliant. Overall it's a decent compromise, you can still get the inside wheel off the ground if you really provoke it.:whistle:

HTH

xSullx

Jul 16, 2012
Estonia
No complaints from me either.
I previously had a Ford Focus mk2 estate with 16" rims. And currently have a 1.4 TSI ACT FR estate with stock 17" rims and I feel the ride is very similar and can't really tell much of a difference. Definitely far from uncomfortable in my opinion.

Luckypants

Extra Large Member
Apr 7, 2015
N.E. Wales
Hello all

New member :) I've just bought a 64 plate 1.4FR, and I'm finding the ride very uncomfortable if the road is a bit worn. Not sure if its just the state of the local roads and me not being use to a car with sporty suspension, or if there's a problem

Anyone else found this ?

Ady

Yes, which is why I got an SE with 16" wheels and 'comfort' suspension (as opposed to the 'sports' suspension sand bigger wheels of the FR). I live up a bumpy country road and suspected that the FR would be to harsh. I had an extended test drive in both the SE and FR and decided that the SE was the one to have for comfort.

I just specced up the SE from the options list to get all the toys I wanted from the FR.

cliveseat

May 15, 2008
West Yorks
My previous three cars before the FR were: Seat Exeo Sport, Volkswagen CC and TT Mk1 V6 (which I still have).
The Exeo had a pulverising ride until I replaced its rubbish tyres, when it became acceptable. The CC was a GT with adjustable dampers which gave a superb ride in Comfort and Normal but had a Sport setting which was nearly as stiff as the Exeo, and therefore totally out of keeping with its laid-back style. I think I used it once.
The TT is, as you might expect, very hard-riding, even harsh at times - but that's forgivable because it's fab in every other respect.
I feared the Leon (on 18s) would be too close to the TT in ride quality, but in fact it fits somewhere between the Exeo and the Normal setting on the CC, and I think that's about right for a sporty hatch. As stated above, I'm sure it's better still on 17s, but mine's second hand so I had no choice in the matter.
I found the ride very bouncy at the rear at first, because some fool had set the pressures at 35psi all round. Knocking them back to 32/29 - as recommended elsewhere on this forum - made a world of difference.

ssc2000

Mar 19, 2016
This!

Inevitably with bigger wheels and sporty suspension the FR will feel some bumps, but I've never once thought it uncomfortable, what car did you have before?

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

My old car was a 12 year old Octavia, with 15" wheels and 65 profile tyres, so it was a pretty soft ride lol

If Leicester council spent more money on resurfacing the roads instead of pointless cycle lanes it may help

Ady

grant5745

Jan 1, 2013
Glasgow
Yes, which is why I got an SE with 16" wheels and 'comfort' suspension (as opposed to the 'sports' suspension sand bigger wheels of the FR). I live up a bumpy country road and suspected that the FR would be to harsh. I had an extended test drive in both the SE and FR and decided that the SE was the one to have for comfort.

I just specced up the SE from the options list to get all the toys I wanted from the FR.

I have just upgraded to an FR from an SE. The ride on the SE I though was firm but comfortable. The FR ride/handling I think is just amazing. Most of my commute to work is on the motorway but have a couple of miles of A roads too which are not in good condition. I find the ride great, firm but never harsh or uncomfortable. I had a 2011 Mk2 Leon FR, nice car, no problems, but there were places on my commute ( even on the motorway ), I braced myself for the bumps and crashes. The Mk 3 is like night and day

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.