UNIbrace

hyphon12

Daft Member
Jun 7, 2011
Scottish Borders
Seems over priced for what it does tbh. Could get someone to fabricate something to do the same Job For less.

That and its $75 for delivery lol.

Last edited:

hyphon12

Daft Member
Jun 7, 2011
Scottish Borders
Yeah?

Main reason I say that is I've got a mate in metal fabrication that could easily make something similar (has done for other cars). Wouldn't look anywhere as tidy but would do the same job.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
I'm getting a warning from Avast that the link is an attack page. Just so you know. JCAPS themselves may not know, if their site has been compromised by hackers to distribute malware.

In general, it isn't the brace part of a strut brace that's difficult, it's mounting the thing solidly to the shell. I've seen kits told you to mount them to the top of the wing round the strut using self-tappers . . . .

Googling for Unibrace gets me to this bilingual English/Japanese site.

It looks very pretty, and is much more substantial and businesslike than the bits of pipe joining the strut tops that you usually see. I'd not like to try and fabricate something like this, not having aluminium casting capability in the shed.

You will have to pay premium prices for something like this, which is well designed but also made to look pretty. And it has to be shipped from California.

It's light, strong and rigid. If the attachment to the shell is done properly this will be a top-class piece of kit.

Attachment seems to be by McMaster Nutserts, swage nuts that clamp to a hole drilled in sheet material in the same general way that pop-rivets do

And in searching I've found this set of instructions from Unibrace. Attachment by four ½" nutserts and M8 bolts. That's substantial.

Searching also produces some endorsements from the VWVortex community.

One question I would ask, though, is whether it will fit the Leon shell? There are different versions specifically designed to fit the Mk.IV, V or VI Golf shells, and the shell shape is the one big difference between the Golf and Leon.

ReDBull

Every day's a school day.
Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
I thought the Leon shell was the same as the golf? I brought it up as a member on a Golf forum is having one made by a friend on a CNC machine. I asked him to keep me informed how it goes. I agree I've got a Hughs engineering strut brace and I'm un sure how well it works.
Thanks for the warning on there site I'm on my iPhone so didn't know.

Brettyboy

Jan 21, 2012
Exeter,Devon
I thought the Leon shell was the same as the golf? I brought it up as a member on a Golf forum is having one made by a friend on a CNC machine. I asked him to keep me informed how it goes. I agree I've got a Hughs engineering strut brace and I'm un sure how well it works.
Thanks for the warning on there site I'm on my iPhone so didn't know.

The golf shell is obviously different :lol:

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I'm getting a warning from Avast that the link is an attack page. Just so you know. JCAPS themselves may not know, if their site has been compromised by hackers to distribute malware.

+1 McAfee flags it as a compromised site too

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
ReDBull: Look at the Golf, Leon, A3, Octavia.

All the bodyshells are quite distinctly different, they aren't just different badges on the same bodywork.

The platform is the floorpan, engine mountings and so on.

The suspension geometry has to be maintained by each of the bodyshells, but the strut and spring mounts are part of the shell.

The Unibrace mounts to specific parts of the shell on the Golf or Audi that they are meant for. The shell for the Leon will be different, and may not have the same construction or dimensions in this critical area as the Golf. I don't know, I've never compared them side by side.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReDBull

ReDBull

Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
Ok I just figured all the hard points of the cars would be the same? Also the rear seats are interchangeable and that's where it mounts. I'll have to do some investigation:)

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
With a bit more searching I've found a picture of the rear strut tower on a Leon Mk.1, from Willie on this forum :)

P1060015.jpg

It's difficult to tell how close this is to a Golf. But the strut brace is very closely tailored to the dimensions of the towers and the shape of the bracing around the strut tower.

ReDBull

Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
Thanks for finding the photo. I've been trying to find a similar photo of a MKIV golf but no luck. The Hughes engineering strut brace was designed for the Octavia and has been fitted to the Golf and obviously the Leon. It fits into the hole in the panel you can see in the the above photo. So I'd guess it'll fit all the MKIV based models. Shame I don't know any body with a MKIV Golf I could take so measurements from.