Unplugged Soundaktor gets wet

TKB

Jun 20, 2022
Hello, I am a new Formentor VZ2 owner and after reading quite a bunch of threads here with useful information, I decided to join this forum.

I too, as many of you, was not very pleased with the sound of the car in the Cupra mode while idling so I followed Agnes.Surrey guide on how to disconnect the Soundactor by pulling the plug. Although it's quite small space under there, I even managed to put some insulation tape on the plug with cord and the socket of the Soundaktor controller box or whatever it is aswell. Some of you guys suggested to tape it just to be safe.

It was raining heavily all day yesterday so at the evening I was curious does it get wet under there at all so I opened the bonnet to check on it to see if there's even any drop of water near the plug and the Soundaktor controller box socket, and I was surprised to see that the Soundaktor controller was all wet. Apparently above there are small drainholes that are located at the bottom of the windshield. I wonder why they put electronics almost right under where the water flows? Maybe everything nowadays is made very safe and can easily sustain little splashes of water? Nevertheless it makes me a bit anxious. The wire plug wasn't very wet tho, I think.
When I watched the videos of unplugging the Soundaktor of Golfs, I noticed that their Soundaktor plug was deeper and in a drier place.

So what do you think? Is it safe to just tape the socket and the plug and leave it as it is? Also what do you think would be the worst that could happen if one left the open socket and the plug as it is after unplugging it? Maybe I am overthinking this.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
Hello, I am a new Formentor VZ2 owner and after reading quite a bunch of threads here with useful information, I decided to join this forum.

I too, as many of you, was not very pleased with the sound of the car in the Cupra mode while idling so I followed Agnes.Surrey guide on how to disconnect the Soundactor by pulling the plug. Although it's quite small space under there, I even managed to put some insulation tape on the plug with cord and the socket of the Soundaktor controller box or whatever it is aswell. Some of you guys suggested to tape it just to be safe.

It was raining heavily all day yesterday so at the evening I was curious does it get wet under there at all so I opened the bonnet to check on it to see if there's even any drop of water near the plug and the Soundaktor controller box socket, and I was surprised to see that the Soundaktor controller was all wet. Apparently above there are small drainholes that are located at the bottom of the windshield. I wonder why they put electronics almost right under where the water flows? Maybe everything nowadays is made very safe and can easily sustain little splashes of water? Nevertheless it makes me a bit anxious. The wire plug wasn't very wet tho, I think.
When I watched the videos of unplugging the Soundaktor of Golfs, I noticed that their Soundaktor plug was deeper and in a drier place.

So what do you think? Is it safe to just tape the socket and the plug and leave it as it is? Also what do you think would be the worst that could happen if one left the open socket and the plug as it is after unplugging it? Maybe I am overthinking this.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
I can't answer your questions but I've unplugged mine for months now - at least 6. No protection on the socket/plug. The car is still running fine. Your mileage may vary.

I'd probably protect the socket/plug if there was a simple way to do it (maybe something I can order), but I'm not that worried.

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
Interesting info. If the components gets wet, the terminals will corrode over time. As simple as that really, as they are not designed to get wet.
Unless you're able to provide a watertight seal with tape, then tape will not be enough.

Plugs etc. are all designed to be watertight when connected, so this just strengthens the notion that programming the volume to 0% is better than simply unplugging the SoundAktor.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
You could try Self-Amalgamating tape (the stuff satellite dish installers use to waterproof the F-connectors)

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Small bank coin return bag to put the cable end in and taped closed, large dod of white grease/vaseline on exposed socket?

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Small bank coin return bag to put the cable end in and taped closed, large dod of white grease/vaseline on exposed socket?
Or follow the example of the Skoda Rally team back in the day before budgets for motorsport got crazy; waterproofing of electrical components by means of creatively applied rubber gloves and condoms.(y)