Update - Leon FR Sport Estate sunroof rattles!!

Dkelly4

Jul 19, 2020
Car went in to the supplying dealer (4th main dealer visit in just 2 months) to sort this rattly sunroof out. They did fix a common fault by putting padding under the roof liner, but they couldn't find the sunroof rattle. Luckily I took a recording off it and sent them the video, so they know what is sounds like, so I gave consent for one of their guys to take it home for the night to give it an extended test drive to source the sound, but in doing so, crashed the car!! 2 new wheels, 2 new tyres, new wheel bearing and they still not happy with the fix. Oh dear.... So the fault it went in for, still hasn't been looked at. Once I do finally get car back, and if the rattle is still there, am I in my rights to reject the car for an exchange? or refund even? Spoke to Cust Services and they said I need to give the supplying dealer the opportunity to fix it, but if fault is still there on way home from dealer, do i turn round and give them the keys or what would you guys do?? Ideally want rid and have same car, same spec without that nasty sunroof!

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Personally I wouldn't want the car back if they'd crashed it. Did you get to see the state of the damage of it after it was crashed?

Dkelly4

Jul 19, 2020
Almost 2 weeks gone by and they still have my car. Still finding faults with it. They have put 2 new wheels, and 2 new tyres on, replaced bearing and a suspsension part but still having probs with it. At least I have one of their cars to borrow - had it since Last Tues. its the 1.5 TSi 130 FR. How can they call that an FR? - Its' soooo slow!! When u boot it, the engine sounds nasty almost boomy if such a word lol! - My wife has this car herself. Miss my FR 190!

ima

Apr 6, 2014
Almost 2 weeks gone by and they still have my car. Still finding faults with it. They have put 2 new wheels, and 2 new tyres on, replaced bearing and a suspsension part but still having probs with it. At least I have one of their cars to borrow - had it since Last Tues. its the 1.5 TSi 130 FR. How can they call that an FR? - Its' soooo slow!! When u boot it, the engine sounds nasty almost boomy if such a word lol! - My wife has this car herself. Miss my FR 190!

Never sorted my rattle on roof. Just learned to live with it and often don’t notice. Looking on Golf forums it’s common to all of them.

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
So the fix from crashing it is new wheels, tyres, bearings and suspension?

I guess he's hit a speed bump or kerb while he was driving it like he stole it.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Will of been some young to55bag apprentice mechanic driving it! Utter disgrace from the dealership. I would be expecting some form of compensation, maybe free services for 3 years minimum

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Will of been some young to55bag apprentice mechanic driving it! Utter disgrace from the dealership. I would be expecting some form of compensation, maybe free services for 3 years minimum
Given all the trouble the OP has had so far with the sunroof issue and now this, I'd be tempted to be writing to the Dealership Principal advising them that they can take the f-ing thing back

Dkelly4

Jul 19, 2020
I did threaten them with exactly that! - I said when I collect the car, if that noise is still there, then I don't. want the car! I bought it. back in end Feb this year, but consumer rights state you have to return within 6 months... Well, first 3 to 4 months we were in total lockdown!, so only really driven it properly since June/July. I got the car back after 2 weeks as they had to replace loads of parts including 2 new wheels and tyres after they crashed it. So far..... Can't hear that dreaded sunroof rattle!! - They took the glass out and adjusted it and refitted it (apparently) and found 2 separate noises in the roof lining which they fixed.
When for a decent drive this eve, and I'm sure the car is now making some kind of humming noise (sounds like from the rear!!! - They wrecked the front left and rear left wheels - literally took chunk out of each alloy, but they only focussed on the front left of the car changing bits. Hope it's not the rear left bearing. Maybe they have over inflated the tyres which are all Goodyear efficient grip all round. They do look hard on the rear.
I do miss my Qashqai which told you in real time, what each tyre pressure was - very clever!
They did loan me one of their 20 plate leons while mine was in for repair - what a difference in performance and engine sound from their 130 bhp 1.5 tsi to my 190 bhp 2.0 Tsi. Can't wait until its 3yrs old and out of warranty so I can tune it up, as I understand this engine is a de tunned GTi engine?

Dkelly4

Jul 19, 2020
Are my expectations too high? I mean, I hate noises which shouldn't be there like rattles etc, but it is a SEAT and not a Mercedes or Audi or other premium brand. But even so, it's a 19 plate, so you would think you should have a few years of quiet driving? Never buying a car with a sunroof after this one.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Are my expectations too high? I mean, I hate noises which shouldn't be there like rattles etc, but it is a SEAT and not a Mercedes or Audi or other premium brand. But even so, it's a 19 plate, so you would think you should have a few years of quiet driving? Never buying a car with a sunroof after this one.
I’m with you on the subject of sunroofs in modern cars. I don’t have one and don’t want one either. I’ve read quite a few discussion threads on various VAG forums or owners experiences with sunroofs;
  • creaks and rattles
  • blocked drain pipes, resulting in water ingress into the cabin
  • Interior shade opening and closing at will under acceleration and braking
  • a small number of cases of ‘exploding’ sunroofs assumed to have been caused by stones flicked up by other cars and hitting the sunroof. Presumably, the sunroof glass isn’t laminated, otherwise it wouldn’t shatter if hit by a projectile stone.
The latest issue on some Golfs seems to be cracks appearing in the corners of black shiny sunroof surround -.often on nearly new cars. Fortunately for the owners, many of these cracking surrounds have happened to cars under warranty, so have been repaired at VW’s expense. It’s interesting to see that VW have changed the design of the sunroof surround on the mk8 Golf - now just a panel between the sunroof panel and the windscreen rather than a
previous design where the surround went around three sides of the sunroof panel.

For me, the disadvantages (the above the issues, plus the weight penalty) of a sunroof outweigh the advantages (increased light and airflow into the cabin). I’ll stick with air con to keep me cool, and if I want additional airflow, I’ll open a window.

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
I’m with you on the subject of sunroofs in modern cars. I don’t have one and don’t want one either. I’ve read quite a few discussion threads on various VAG forums or owners experiences with sunroofs;
  • creaks and rattles
  • blocked drain pipes, resulting in water ingress into the cabin
  • Interior shade opening and closing at will under acceleration and braking
  • a small number of cases of ‘exploding’ sunroofs assumed to have been caused by stones flicked up by other cars and hitting the sunroof. Presumably, the sunroof glass isn’t laminated, otherwise it wouldn’t shatter if hit by a projectile stone.
The latest issue on some Golfs seems to be cracks appearing in the corners of black shiny sunroof surround -.often on nearly new cars. Fortunately for the owners, many of these cracking surrounds have happened to cars under warranty, so have been repaired at VW’s expense. It’s interesting to see that VW have changed the design of the sunroof surround on the mk8 Golf - now just a panel between the sunroof panel and the windscreen rather than a
previous design where the surround went around three sides of the sunroof panel.

For me, the disadvantages (the above the issues, plus the weight penalty) of a sunroof outweigh the advantages (increased light and airflow into the cabin). I’ll stick with air con to keep me cool, and if I want additional airflow, I’ll open a window.
I'm guessing it's partly down to the fact that sunroofs tend to be a lot bigger these days: I had an electric slide n' tilt one in my old MK1 Octavia which I had for 10 years/ >100,000 miles and never had a problem with it apart from keeping the moss from growing on the seals.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.